HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:37 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Very nice work. Your radio gear installation makes my mine look like a 3rd grader did it. LOL
Thanks ! I doubt a 3rd grader could mod this jet like you did
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,633 Posts
Flaps to Elevator Mix?

Do you have to use elevator down when deploying flaps on this model? If so, can you please advise what you have used successfully when deploying flaps? I am using a DX8 with this model. Thanks!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:02 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,266 Posts
On mine it just needs a hint of down trim. Maybe 1/16". I'm balancing at 180mm. So slightly less sensitive to pitch movement than when balancing at 185 or 190.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:14 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
On mine it just needs a hint of down trim. Maybe 1/16". I'm balancing at 180mm. So slightly less sensitive to pitch movement than when balancing at 185 or 190.
I will assume a 10% input down on elevator and correct from there..... thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:08 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,633 Posts
Taxi Runs

It was very windy here today so I did not maiden. However, I did do my taxi runs. I am pretty sure this jet will need brakes! It has very minimal rolling friction, and the wind was pushing her on the runway. I have found the JP Hobbies 50mm dia ebrakes that will fit these landing gears with 4mm axle. Hopefully I can add this mod before my maiden since I worry about how many feet this jet will need to slow down after in has touched down?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:27 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
It was very windy here today so I did not maiden. However, I did do my taxi runs. I am pretty sure this jet will need brakes! It has very minimal rolling friction, and the wind was pushing her on the runway. I have found the JP Hobbies 50mm dia ebrakes that will fit these landing gears with 4mm axle. Hopefully I can add this mod before my maiden since I worry about how many feet this jet will need to slow down after in has touched down?
At your weight it will land slow enough that brakes aren't needed. Don't add the expense and complexity, ismy suggestion.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:56 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
I find that I don't need brakes. It needs a max of 200ft to stop.

Talking about rolling friction, you need to check the wheel axles and apply loctite. Mine were loose and as the plane rolled down for take-off, tighthened - jamming the wheel against the strut.....

Landing was pretty short.......
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:07 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,310 Posts
We have a 300 foot runway and I never felt I needed brakes to stop it.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:32 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
We have a 300 foot runway and I never felt I needed brakes to stop it.
Ok I will go ahead without brakes for maiden . What are the stall characteristics on this model? Do you use flaps on every landing?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:35 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
I find that I don't need brakes. It needs a max of 200ft to stop.

Talking about rolling friction, you need to check the wheel axles and apply loctite. Mine were loose and as the plane rolled down for take-off, tighthened - jamming the wheel against the strut.....

Landing was pretty short.......
Thanks - I guess that's another way of slowing her. Tighten up the axle! LOL
I have checked and applied thread lock. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:33 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,310 Posts
Ever watch the Blue Angles F-18 come by nose high?

I do the same thing, get the flaps out, about 1/3 throttle, and drift it by at 3 or 4 mph.

My advice, take it up high, give it full flaps with gear down and reduce power till it drops, it will usually go nose straight. You will be shocked at how slow this thing will fly stock.

How this earlier in the thread somewhere but here you go
http://youtu.be/phBeX8Omsx4?list=UU7...tASvicGtqablMQ

About 15 degrees flaps on every take off, full flaps on every landing.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey