HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:37 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI
Joined Oct 2013
713 Posts
I know this has probably been asked many times, but which one of these GPS's would perform best with an APM2.6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM-2-5-2-6-...item5662156906

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-APM-Flig...item2ed70f0865

Also, how do I figure out the orientation of the compass?

thanks
RC2211 is offline Find More Posts by RC2211
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:59 PM
"EMAXX!"
United States, AL, Thorsby
Joined Apr 2014
206 Posts
I have the second one. I like it. Why I do to set the compass is:

Get a real a accurate compass.
Put the craft facing exactly north.
Collaborate the compass is mp.
Put the. Compass on the craft where you can spin it.
While looking at mp, line up the compass to where it says It's perfectly on north. Then then I mark the compass So i know and tighten it down.

Works for me.
tmoon is offline Find More Posts by tmoon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Diode for the AV Dome??

Today, I received a bunch of parts for my new quad build from UAV Objects.

One of the items was the AV Dome. A surface mount diode was taped to the top of the dome box with DIODE written next to it. What is this for? Is this Texas humor? I looked in the box but no docs to indicate what it might be for.

I've been reading this thread (and the retired one) now for nearly a week and if the didode was already covered, I apologize for not finding it. I've currently made it into the Nov 2013 posts but but hadn't seen anything about a diode.

One other quick question.....what is the best way to remove and reinstall one of those metal threaded inserts into another hole in a carbon frame? RCTimer put one in the wrong hole in my new frame and so the leg doesn't really lock up properly.

Thanks, Stu
arizona98tj is offline Find More Posts by arizona98tj
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2013
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2211 View Post
I know this has probably been asked many times, but which one of these GPS's would perform best with an APM2.6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM-2-5-2-6-...item5662156906

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-APM-Flig...item2ed70f0865

Also, how do I figure out the orientation of the compass?

thanks
I have both & tested with same APM 2.6. The top one was vastly superior to the mast mounted one. Both were UBlox Neo-6M but the top one was a V2 with larger rechargeable battery. I suspect that the larger active ceramic patch antenna of the V2 had higher gain.
As far as orientation of compass you need to open the shell as Jabram stated & look for the dot on the 5883 Mag IC. This dot has to point forward on quad or plane. Some have the Mag on underside of the board (obviously ceramic antenna has to face sky) so you need to change orientation in MP to allow for this.
I just looked at the top one again & it is a V1 as battery is small. The V2 looks like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APM2-6-Fl...item2a4273c67e
brewski850 is offline Find More Posts by brewski850
Last edited by brewski850; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:59 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
Today, I received a bunch of parts for my new quad build from UAV Objects.

One of the items was the AV Dome. A surface mount diode was taped to the top of the dome box with DIODE written next to it. What is this for? Is this Texas humor? I looked in the box but no docs to indicate what it might be for.

I've been reading this thread (and the retired one) now for nearly a week and if the didode was already covered, I apologize for not finding it. I've currently made it into the Nov 2013 posts but but hadn't seen anything about a diode.

One other quick question.....what is the best way to remove and reinstall one of those metal threaded inserts into another hole in a carbon frame? RCTimer put one in the wrong hole in my new frame and so the leg doesn't really lock up properly.

Thanks, Stu
Here ya go Stu: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1491
RYBAT is offline Find More Posts by RYBAT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Build Logs
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI
Joined Oct 2013
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoon View Post
I have the second one. I like it. Why I do to set the compass is:

Get a real a accurate compass.
Put the craft facing exactly north.
Collaborate the compass is mp.
Put the. Compass on the craft where you can spin it.
While looking at mp, line up the compass to where it says It's perfectly on north. Then then I mark the compass So i know and tighten it down.

Works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski850 View Post
I have both & tested with same APM 2.6. The top one was vastly superior to the mast mounted one. Both were UBlox Neo-6M but the top one was a V2 with larger rechargeable battery. I suspect that the larger active ceramic patch antenna of the V2 had higher gain.
As far as orientation of compass you need to open the shell as Jabram stated & look for the dot on the 5883 Mag IC. This dot has to point forward on quad or plane. Some have the Mag on underside of the board (obviously ceramic antenna has to face sky) so you need to change orientation in MP to allow for this.
I just looked at the top one again & it is a V1 as battery is small. The V2 looks like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APM2-6-Fl...item2a4273c67e
Thanks! So it sounds like the top one would be best for reception. I will use tmoon's method of finding orientation though.

Would this be superior to both (is it V2)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ublox-NEO-6M...item4867337246
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2013
77 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! So it sounds like the top one would be best for reception. I will use tmoon's method of finding orientation though.

Would this be superior to both (is it V2)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ublox-NEO-6M...item4867337246
No battery is small. Look at the link I gave you.
brewski850 is offline Find More Posts by brewski850
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI
Joined Oct 2013
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski850 View Post
No battery is small. Look at the link I gave you.
I did, but they don't seem to have that version that will quickly ship to the U.S.

I think I can deal with a small battery (it is being recharged during flgiht correct?).

Otherwise, what about V3?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-6M-V3-0-...item2c84f89537
Last edited by RC2211; Yesterday at 04:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
4,135 Posts
Quote:
I did, but they don't seem to have that version that will quickly ship to the U.S.

I think I can deal with a small battery (it is being recharged during flgiht correct?).

Otherwise, what about V3?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-6M-V3-0-...item2c84f89537
The battery is fine and does charge whilst powered. It only lasts a few days though so if you don't fly often you will need to let it sit for a few minutes longer to charge and get initial sat locks, but other than that is it fine.

Personally my current fav GPS is this one

http://www.uavobjects.com/product/cn06plus/

it's cheap, works VERY well, ships from Texas, and other than its odd size [meant to be mounted on the APM without a case] it is what I use on my APMs and Hawks right now.
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI
Joined Oct 2013
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
The battery is fine and does charge whilst powered. It only lasts a few days though so if you don't fly often you will need to let it sit for a few minutes longer to charge and get initial sat locks, but other than that is it fine.

Personally my current fav GPS is this one

http://www.uavobjects.com/product/cn06plus/

it's cheap, works VERY well, ships from Texas, and other than its odd size [meant to be mounted on the APM without a case] it is what I use on my APMs and Hawks right now.
Thanks! Sounds like a better option quality-wise. I can get around the weird shape.

Is it plug-and-play with the current APM firmware?
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYBAT View Post
Thank you very much for the link. I just might have to take that diode to work and use some of the equipment there.....that is indeed small. The older I get, the smaller the components are getting....and I think some of it has to do with my aging eyes.

So....any idea how to properly remove the threaded insert in a carbon fiber frame and reinstall it into the proper hole? Hard to believe RCTimer installed it an inch away from the correct hole.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
4,135 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! Sounds like a better option quality-wise. I can get around the weird shape.

Is it plug-and-play with the current APM firmware?
Yup no script needed, just plug in the GPS and i2c and if using 2.5.2 then cut the trace elseif using 2.6 do nothing else
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Good or bad idea?

I realize that airflow across the ESCs help maintain a good operating temp.

This new frame has 4 of the nicest little cutouts in the dirty section that fit the 30A ESCs nicely. Joe says to keep the wiring neat and tight....this would seem to fit that recommendation.

If I go this mounting route, a lot of the power wiring will be trimmed very short to fit the PDB. If I later find inadequate cooling, I dislike the idea of slicing power leads to get back to where I was before. Will be running RCTimer BX-2212 920KVs with 9.4x4.3 props.

Any input from those with experience here?
Old Today, 12:11 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,407 Posts
Quote:

So....any idea how to properly remove the threaded insert in a carbon fiber frame and reinstall it into the proper hole? Hard to believe RCTimer installed it an inch away from the correct hole.
Use the correct size bolt with a couple of washers larger than the insert and do up tight until it pulls the insert out. That's assuming it won't pull out by hand. Then you need to drill a hole in the correct place and press the insert in. Getting the correct size drill bit can be hard and you may have to start small and work up to it. Usually you can use a through bolt and nut in place of the insert if you don't mind the untidiness.

Sadly the RCT frames that I have (only 3 Spider quads) have the holes in the top and bottom sheets made too large, so when you attach the arms, if you do the bolts up tight they pull the inserts through the holes in the plates. If they don't pull out then, they often do when you have a hard landing.
mpjf01 is online now Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Today, 03:31 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,118 Posts
Quote:
The older I get, the smaller the components are getting....and I think some of it has to do with my aging eyes. ]
Yep, everything is getting smaller, we have been using 01005 resistors for a year now for the 28GHz products.
--Oz-- is online now Find More Posts by --Oz--