SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:47 AM
Random slope flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Currie
Joined Feb 2013
205 Posts
Or do you use something like Sarboy #31?

btw: found all of the posts really useful - so off to buy aquarium pump - as this looks like a good long term solution.
Mike_ is offline Find More Posts by Mike_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:52 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarboy View Post
I got this message today..... NOTICE: This domain name expired on 05/22/2013 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Can somebody provide some details on what was on this site?

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jun 09, 2013, 12:55 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Dani,
How do you attach your handpump to the vac storage bags? Do you attach via the existing fitting or do you add an additional one?

Mike
Hey Mike

See attached picture.
There are two types of storage bags out there: with screw on cap and with kind of one way valve - this is what I have. I tried the other type but got no success.
So I found somewhere this plastic adapter (at the end of the hose) and when I press it while pumping on the nipple I manage to extract air. Once it is removed the valve kicks in and the bag is sealed. You will need some rubber seal for the pumping process to press on (the blue ring on the nipple)

I've recently upgraded my pump to a more advanced one, a whole new experience
I still think that hand pump is a good way to try bagging.

Dani
Dani123 is offline Find More Posts by Dani123
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2013, 04:37 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,040 Posts
I have a hand pump and the connection to the bag is my biggest challenge. I have perfected sealing the bag, but I need to get a link to a good flexible hose and bag connection, like the one above I guess.

Any pointers?
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jun 09, 2013, 04:45 PM
Random slope flyer
Joined Feb 2013
205 Posts
Great, many thanks for the info Dani.

I tried doing something similar but think have the other type and its impossible to get a seal between adapter on handpump and bag fitting. So will look out for your type.

Tried bagging first test piece today with just vacuum from vacuum cleaner!

Used two layers of 135g (4oz) glass on top of closed cell foam, suspect I used 40g resin for just the top surface of 1 wing of a 60" plank racer. Get the feeling this is heavy.

If you use a higher vacuum can you get away with using less resin? Is that why you got and electric pump?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:04 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
144 Posts
Quote:
Great, many thanks for the info Dani.

I tried doing something similar but think have the other type and its impossible to get a seal between adapter on handpump and bag fitting. So will look out for your type.

Tried bagging first test piece today with just vacuum from vacuum cleaner!

Used two layers of 135g (4oz) glass on top of closed cell foam, suspect I used 40g resin for just the top surface of 1 wing of a 60" plank racer. Get the feeling this is heavy.

If you use a higher vacuum can you get away with using less resin? Is that why you got and electric pump?
Hey

Generally I use paper towels to soak the extra resin, the cloth should be barely wet with no "puddles" before you put it in the bag.

I got the electric pump because I wanted something better and automatic, in my setup I have a vacuum switch to maintain vac level. I used the guidelines from here to build my own system: http://www.joewoodworker.com/
With bags and hand pump I had to do a little more pumping in the morning after overnight curing, and of course my palms got tired

I attached the picture with my setup, it goes conveniently in the case for storage.

Dani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
Random slope flyer
Joined Feb 2013
205 Posts
Wow, very professional looking, very jealous. Guess that the pump was expensive?

Mike

PS Must of taken a while to find components that colour coordinated with your shoe collection ;-)
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:58 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani123 View Post
I attached the picture with my setup, it goes conveniently in the case for storage.

Dani
Dani,

What are the blue compression fittings sold for? And where did you get them?
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Regulated vacuum system.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:17 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
144 Posts
Quote:
Wow, very professional looking, very jealous. Guess that the pump was expensive?

Mike

PS Must of taken a while to find components that colour coordinated with your shoe collection ;-)
Thanks. The pump was about 120$ on ebay, I guess it is a little more pricey than the hand pump...But putting it all together was fun and I'm very happy.
Mike, you have found my design guide lines I'm missing touches of pink to suit my wife's shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
Dani,

What are the blue compression fittings sold for? And where did you get them?
Jim, the fittings are Israeli product: http://www.tefenplastic.com/cat.php?g=105&path=104
I have no idea if you can find them in AU.

Dani
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dani123; Jun 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:35 AM
South Africa, NW, Potchefstroom
Joined Apr 2009
32 Posts
Cheap Pump

I would just like to add that I tried the aquarium pump and the pump that I bought was terrible.

I subsequently went out and bought a 12v tire compressor, much better... After I've achieved the vacuum I want I just pinch the pipe and switch the pump off.. No leaks keep the vacuum, and I can always just switch it on a few seconds if needed.
oupagryse is offline Find More Posts by oupagryse
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,302 Posts
If your patient you can find a good deal on ebay. It took me 3 years and dozens of item bids, but i finally won a GAST 10cfm rotary vane vacuum pump/motor combo for $150 shipped. Granted i then dropped another $400 in bag fittings, vacuum chamber and other parts to make up my auto cycling vacuum setup. But it reliably pulls a 27"vacuum at 1100'msl and has sucked down a bag as large as 4'x8'
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Nov 01, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1 Posts
I bought this compressor from HK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Air_Hose.html

I opened it up, moved 1 hose and it pulls 21"Hg. Ran it for 3 hours solid the other day while bagging a carbon yacht keel and it was just warm. Works a treat.
chards is offline Find More Posts by chards
Old Nov 01, 2013, 05:01 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Nice!
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory