HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
rcposter's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Discussion
Son of fascist anti-communist apologizes.

An Apology: The Son of THR Founder Billy Wilkerson on the Publication's Dark Past
10:00 AM PST 11/19/2012 by W.R. Wilkerson III

W.R. Wilkerson III writes a formal apology for what he calls "Hollywood's Holocaust."
Quote:
From 1930 to 1962, Billy Wilkerson was the publisher of The Hollywood Reporter. He also was my father. Before establishing THR, he actively was involved in the film industry, mainly as a producer. In 1927, he had plans to build and own a film studio, but without the help of the studio titans, who owned everything related to film production at that time -- from the talent to distribution to the theater chains -- it would have been next to impossible for Wilkerson. For whatever reason, the movie brass refused him entry into their "club" and squashed his dream. So he found another one: exacting revenge.

After World War II, the spread of communism began gobbling up Eastern Europe. This presented Wilkerson with a formidable opportunity. In his maniacal quest to annihilate the studio owners, he realized that the most effective retaliation was to destroy their talent. In the wake of this emerging hysteria surrounding communism, the easiest way to crush the studio owners was to simply call their actors, writers and directors communists. Unfortunately, they would become the collateral damage of history. Apart from being charged with contempt, for refusing to name names, none of these individuals committed any crimes.
rcposter is offline Find More Posts by rcposter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
God save fathers from "apologies" like that from their sons.

Wilkerson died on September 2, 1962. Old news, really.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
God save fathers from "apologies" like that from their sons.

Wilkerson died on September 2, 1962. Old news, really.
It's called History.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
Park_Flyer's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
It's called History.
Kinda like Bush in relation to the current administration, right?
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
It's called History.
I hope your kids never call you, "maniacal", at your eulogy.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
Against it with you
Sprydle's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
I hope your kids never call you, "maniacal", at your eulogy.
I don't expect they would, Tree is a decent, honourable man. Wilkerson was none of those things.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle View Post
I don't expect they would, Tree is a decent, honourable man. Wilkerson was none of those things.
I take it that you didn't notice the article's outright lie?
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
Against it with you
Sprydle's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
I take it that you didn't notice the article's outright lie?
Pretty irrelevant considering that I was responding to your post to Tree.

Are you intimating that Wilkerson was a decent man and was hard done to by his son, and perhaps history?
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle View Post
Pretty irrelevant considering that I was responding to your post to Tree.

Are you intimating that Wilkerson was a decent man and was hard done to by his son, and perhaps history?
I was 8 years old when he died. that means all that I get is other people's opinions about him. After the Fatty Arbuckle pogrom, I see no reason to trust Hollywood's majority opinion on much, do you? His son was 11 when he died, perhaps that's the case with him as well.

And the article is a hack job, complete with two factual errors that probably came from his depending on rumor, not research. That says his "facts" about his father likely came the same way.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
Fokker Ace's Avatar
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Do you want to know what the big lie really was? The big lie was there weren't Communists in the U.S. when in fact there were plenty.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
Against it with you
Sprydle's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
I was 8 years old when he died. that means all that I get is other people's opinions about him. After the Fatty Arbuckle pogrom, I see no reason to trust Hollywood's majority opinion on much, do you? His son was 11 when he died, perhaps that's the case with him as well.
So do you not trust historians in general?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsci
And the article is a hack job, complete with two factual errors that probably came from his depending on rumor, not research. That says his "facts" about his father likely came the same way.
So do you not trust historians in general? *This* article contains factual errors, therefore Wilkerson is not the man history has painted him to be? Not much of a sample is it?
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle View Post
So do you not trust historians in general?
Nice strawman.


Quote:
So do you not trust historians in general?
This guy is no historian.

Quote:
*This* article contains factual errors, therefore Wilkerson is not the man history has painted him to be? Not much of a sample is it?
Enough to impugn this article.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
Against it with you
Sprydle's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Nice strawman.
They were your words. "I was 8 years old when he died. that means all that I get is other people's opinions about him. " It is important to note that historians paint a similar picture of Wilkerson, so it is not much of a leap to ask if you distrust their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdsci
This guy is no historian.
No he's not - I made a cut and paste error and forgot to delete that sentence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsci
Enough to impugn this article.
Again - one article is not a very good sample size - what you appear to be saying is that Wilkerson was not the guy he is painted to be because this one article contains errors and opinions.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
You're welcome to post any facts that you choose. I think that it's obvious that he got crosswise with various studios,

That he was on a "maniacal quest to annihilate the studio owners", is hardly proven.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
Against it with you
Sprydle's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
You're welcome to post any facts that you choose. I think that it's obvious that he got crosswise with various studios,

That he was on a "maniacal quest to annihilate the studio owners", is hardly proven.
I have nothing to prove. My opinion on Wilkerson based on what I have read has not changed.

Additionally, Wilkerson has not been exonerated on the strength of one article.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Obama's Father Classified as 'Anti-White, Anti-American' they just figured this out? RCGambler Life, The Universe, and Politics 42 Apr 22, 2012 03:22 AM
Discussion Anti-AMA, Anti-Brunswick, Anti-Critterhunter, & All Other B**ching... critterhunter North Coast Electric Flyers 10 Aug 02, 2007 09:20 AM
Is the US becoming fascist? SoaringDragon Life, The Universe, and Politics 20 Dec 06, 2002 05:19 PM
Not a Vegan, a vegetarian or a fascist NewbieX Life, The Universe, and Politics 64 Nov 01, 2001 08:10 AM