SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:28 AM
Mr Solution
TX
Joined Aug 2004
1,143 Posts
Help!
Bantam BC6-10 balancing problem

I have a couple BC6-10 chargers that I have had for a long time. They have been tried and true. One is 3 years old and the other is 4 years old.

I have 6S3P packs @ 6.9AH total. Most of the time the charge never ends, not a big deal, they have been doing that ever since I made the packs. The charger will just sit there at 0.1A and flucuate the cell voltages. But they always ended 3.55-3.6V peak. When I built these packs 2 years ago, I did cell match them. It took forever. haha.

Recently I've been seeing my A123 packs not balancing correctly. When watching the cell voltages on the screen I see some big flucuations, I saw one cell go to over 4V and in a second back under 3.5V. After the charge is done, some of the cells in the pack are 3.65V to 3.75V and thats resting voltage after 5 to 20 min. They will even stay over 3.6 for hours. The accuracy sucks too, were talking up to .2V off.

I'm guessing sending these in for repair would be too costly? It would be cheaper to just buy a new charger with more ports? I have 4 or 5 packs to charge, and they are all used at the same time.

Do you think there is something inside I can replace like a chip or resistors, that may be wore out? Maybe the chargers just need to be calibrated? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
TMASTER is offline Find More Posts by TMASTER
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I would say you got your monies worth from those chargers.

Time to step into the 21st century and buy a more powerful balance charger.
One where you can charge all your packs at the same time faster than any multiport charger.
With a battery of that size I would recommend a high output charger.
Only 2 good ones on the market today.
iCharger and Cell Pro.
Either one with a parallel charging setup and a 24VDC power supply and you will be set for years.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,710 Posts
Check out the FMA (Revolectrix) CellPro PL6.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-EC5-version_2

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:23 PM
Mr Solution
TX
Joined Aug 2004
1,143 Posts
OK, I will look into those. This is the PSU I have: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jtps45.shtml

I have been charging 2 of the 6S packs at 9AMP's each at the same time. I don't plan on getting a different PSU. What I would love is to be able to set the charger or chargers for all the packs at the same time, and come back later and have them all ready. I would even be fine at charging the packs at 5amps each if I could do that. I hate having to go out to the garage and have to setup for another pack, then come back again. haha.

Whats crazy is these packs I could charge them at 30amps per pack! Charge them all at the same time and all done in like 15-20min. THat would pull some serious power, and I would need to use 2 different circuit breakers from the house! Prolly cost $600 worth of PSU and chargers though.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,479 Posts
If you are seeing wild flucuations on the cell voltages, you need to replace the balance boards. That is the the typical symptom of a balance board with a fracture in a trace or socket that is not well seated anymore.

RC Accessory, Inc
Auth Bantam Importer & Service Center
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:07 PM
Mr Solution
TX
Joined Aug 2004
1,143 Posts
Thanks, I will probe the connections later today and see.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
Mr Solution
TX
Joined Aug 2004
1,143 Posts
I did some testing, all the connections are good, I even cleaned them.

Here is a video of what the charger is doing, and the results of each cell voltage. Watch the video at 15 seconds then again at 37 seconds.

Link to video
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22884302
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,479 Posts
Try a new balance board.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:28 AM
Mr Solution
TX
Joined Aug 2004
1,143 Posts
It seems I have a double problem here, but I got it figured out! I replaced the balance cable with a new one, and the flucuations were less, about half as much. So I decided to just plug the balance wires directly into the charger. That fixed the flucuations all together . So replacing the balance board also as stated from RC Accessory, should clean up the rest of the flucuation. But... It turns out that my large pack is so un-balanced that the charger now is never ending with 1 cell at 3.6V and the other 3 sitting at 3.38V. I will need to discharge that 1 cell by itself then balance charge again till I get them equal.

These are packs that I never run down completely. I also have let them sit for 2 months at a time. So they just need some good full cycles.

Woo! Bantam's are still kickin!