SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
283 Posts
Thank you so much Gary. I went back to v1.03, and the picture is solid. The best video ever is now coming out of this thing. I rocked the machine all over the place and it just did not budge at all. Go to any version higher than 1.03 you get jitter big time. I say they should start over and start from v1.03 and try again.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
I have an issue, and some questions.

1. When I go to the Setup Servo page, sometime the numbers are completely random, so I have to exit the software on go back in. There almost needs to be a read button to read the data from the controller again.

2. When I turn on my rig, the gimbal will learn the current postion of my tilt lever, so if I have the tilt lever full down, then it learns that as center, and I can not get my full range. Right now I try to remember to put the lever back to center before powering up.

3. What does the PID Gain page do? Can I make changes, and learn something from the graph?

4. If I set my Acceleration Rate Gain to 0 vs 1000, I do not see any real difference in performance. I would of thought that 0 would cause the servos to not move.
Thx for you post on point #2.

What I am trying to accomplish is..
- lever all the way up = the gimbal is horizonal - 0 degrees
- lever to middle indent position = gimbal @ 45 degrees
- lever all the way down = gimbal @ 90 degrees

Like you, if I set the lever in the middle I cannot accomplish the above. Is there a way to accomplish this?
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:47 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Gary,
I think you and I started off on the wrong foot. I don't care whose issue it is, I just want it to work well using the latest firmware and for our customers to be happy. I was merely suggesting something that I thought might help get it sorted very quickly in the other thread. It looks like you have made a very nice gimbal.

Yes, we can and will change our setups to test new scenarios. But this takes time. I thought it would be quicker for you for you to try it (and have a solution) rather than waiting for the next release from us. My mistake.

BTW, these videos are EXACTLY the kind of information we need to see. I'll pass them on to the relevant engineer.

Thanks,
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I have one thing I think you need to try and that is to go back to v1.03 of the HFG board firmware. That's the only way I could stop the jitters and fix the yaw coupling issue. I've tried every version since v1.03, and they all have this same set of issues. They broke something, starting with v1.5, and can't seem to find out what. Until they do, I would definitely use v1.03.

The first video below is with v1.7r2. You can clearly see there's a horizon drift problem, and a pretty bad jitter/shake problem. It rolls left, slowly and after landing you can see it level back out. The jitter shows up in the roll axis the worst.

http://youtu.be/4zUSkiZSa2o

In this second flight, the only change was to go back to v1.03. No horizon problem and no jitters.

http://youtu.be/L060qwcsuoU

George here will tell you they can't duplicate this problem, but personally, I just don't think they are trying hard enough. For example, in another thread, he said that for all their test setups, the board is mounted vertically, and maybe the problem is related to the fact that for our setups, we mount it horizontally. He implied this is a design problem on our part. That is a total crock. Why do we have to make design changes to test their issues? Why can't they change their test setup, and just see if that is in fact a problem. This is just pure arrogance, in my opinion, and horrible customer support, at the very least.

-- Gary
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
Gary,
I think you and I started off on the wrong foot. I don't care whose issue it is, I just want it to work well using the latest firmware and for our customers to be happy. I was merely suggesting something that I thought might help get it sorted very quickly in the other thread. It looks like you have made a very nice gimbal.

Yes, we can and will change our setups to test new scenarios. But this takes time. I thought it would be quicker for you for you to try it (and have a solution) rather than waiting for the next release from us. My mistake.

BTW, these videos are EXACTLY the kind of information we need to see. I'll pass them on to the relevant engineer.

Thanks,
George
Yes, wrong foot, for sure. I got a little defensive, sorry.

Anyway, after the holidays, I will also try playing with the board's orientation, to see if that makes a difference. I really think the answer, however, is going to be in figuring out why v1.03 seems to work a ton better.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Oct 2011
482 Posts
Glad to see Gary and George getting along. I think the combination of the 2 minds will bring positive results. I am running the Askman AG550 gimbal and LG. My video is near where I want it to be, but still getting jitters now and then and I think it could be better, so I reverted back to the 1.03 frimware. I will report back once I get a chance to fly. Very windy the next few days.

Jerry
jerrymeister is offline Find More Posts by jerrymeister
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
343 Posts
Hi, anyone can help me? My angle velocity for both Pitch and Roll work fine in 1.6 and 1.7 but not 1.03. Angle position works fine. I dont have mode switch setup. My gimbal setup software is the laters 1.7rev2.Anyone got the ssame problem? Thanks
flashervn is online now Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
V 1.03 vs 1.7r2

isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:21 PM
3D Heli and Planes
Joined Nov 2009
283 Posts
The products that both Gary and George make are great. I flew V1.03 today in a lot of wind with lots of gust, and the video is just solid. I also do not get the horizon issue that others where talking about.

With V1.7r2, the jitter was really noticeable in windy conditions. I also had a point where I flew in a lot of wind over a tree and when the ship cam back, the camera was tilted on roll to one extreme side, and then it slowly cam back to center. I have mine mounted Top Front. I hope this information helps out.

If you need any test done, I do not mind helping. I am an embedded software developer, so I understand the process.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
343 Posts
Anyone know why I can control pitch and roll in Angle position but not Angle Velocity mode in 1.03? with 1.6 and 1.7 both modes work fine.
flashervn is online now Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Oct 2011
482 Posts
Reverting back to 1.03

Well I finally got a chance to get my hex up with the 1.03 firmware. Not really seeing anything improving on the jittering and if anything it might have been a bit worse. The bummer side of this is that now the horizon problem is happening. When I go from side to side, the camera mount is not returning to center, so I am going back to 1.07, which I think was near to what I expected. So there is my findings.

Jerry
jerrymeister is offline Find More Posts by jerrymeister
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2012
102 Posts
"" 2. When I turn on my rig, the gimbal will learn the current postion of my tilt lever, so if I have the tilt lever full down, then it learns that as center, and I can not get my full range. Right now I try to remember to put the lever back to center before powering up. ""

This is really an inconvenience
toberal is offline Find More Posts by toberal
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toberal View Post
"" 2. When I turn on my rig, the gimbal will learn the current postion of my tilt lever, so if I have the tilt lever full down, then it learns that as center, and I can not get my full range. Right now I try to remember to put the lever back to center before powering up. ""

This is really an inconvenience
+1 agree... this is good if you are using sticks to control tilt but not if you are using the lever
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:13 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
There is one thing I would like some of you guys having trouble with v1.07 r2 to try.

Flash v1.07 r2. Next, uncheck the "use magnetometer assisted heading" under Configuration & Calibration -> Gimbal Mode

There is a possibility having this checked could cause problems with roll/tilt even if you are not using magnetic heading hold.

Is this option already checked, if so does unchecking it help smooth the motion of the gimbal or help with the yaw/roll coupling issue?

Thanks,
George
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:28 PM
3D Heli and Planes
Joined Nov 2009
283 Posts
I had it unchecked. I noticed that when I use lipo voltage, you can see the jitter on the bench. When I fly I use 6V, so it does not seem to jitter on the bench, but you can see it during flying. Once I moved back to V1.03 all jitter is gone, including on the bench.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2008
840 Posts
Now I am new to setting up the HF Gimbal & this is on a new AG600 gimbal. The roll servo had the jitters real bad. I tried tightening & loosening all the bolts with dampers. Change the acceleration gains a number of times. So I finally changed the firmware from v1.07 Rev2 to v1.03 and that fixed it. So I am going to continue to fine tune with v1.03.

PS
the "use magnetometer assisted heading" is unchecked
Last edited by gww528; Nov 25, 2012 at 01:36 PM.