HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
Discussion
Any experience with Hyperion L-4 25e Grasshoper

Hi everyone,

I was out at the flying field Monday morning and a guy was flying a nice sized approx. 40"-50" L-4 Grasshopper. I thought it looked nice and was thinking that might be something to tell the wife and kids to get me for Christmas.

I found the Hyperion 25e plane that looks about the right size and it looks nice. http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...GRASSHOP-OL-25

Anyone have any experience with this bird? Is the wing removable or is it fixed? The motor recommended is listed as having 850watts max, I'm guessing I really don't need anything that big. What have others put on this plane?

Any other alternatives that are in that 40"-50" size range? The E-Flite guy is just a little small, would like something bigger.
eckcessive is offline Find More Posts by eckcessive
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:46 PM
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
i have one. it's just a big ol cubbie. the wing is removable. i mainly fly mine in the wintertime with skis or floats.
zup
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:56 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

How is build quality?

What motor do you have on it?
eckcessive is offline Find More Posts by eckcessive
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:10 PM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckcessive View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

How is build quality?

What motor do you have on it?
it,s easy to build. i made mod's to add a rear strut for floats. im runnning a hi-maxx 3516 motor. it's what i had laying around but has lots of power. i like it. it's not too small and not too big.
john
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
Is my battery charged yet
Joined Sep 2010
400 Posts
Hey Zup! Been looking at picking one of these up myself. Can ya let us know where the battery hatch is? can't see it on the Hyperion label picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zup View Post
it,s easy to build. i made mod's to add a rear strut for floats. im runnning a hi-maxx 3516 motor. it's what i had laying around but has lots of power. i like it. it's not too small and not too big.
john
Need some parts is offline Find More Posts by Need some parts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need some parts View Post
Hey Zup! Been looking at picking one of these up myself. Can ya let us know where the battery hatch is? can't see it on the Hyperion label picture.
the battery hatch in underneath right behind the cowling.
zup
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
400 Posts
Thanks Zup!

Couldn't wait...just place an order for one have to put up some pics as I go since there is nothing going on this bird. Zup-did you do any mods to the Grasshoper?
This Hyperion really needs a thread
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
400 Posts
A nice Hyperion box turned up with a Grasshopper inside! Will have to post some pics soon.

From first inspection, I must say it's going to look very nice...the cover film has been sprayed with a matt coating, so no glossy war bird
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
If it's anything like this
E-flite Piper L-4 Grasshopper 250 ARF - Classic Military RC Piper Cub (1 min 40 sec)

(same markings but tiny difference in dimensions and my e-flite version has glossy coating) you're in for a treat. Flies beautifully although, and I'm not sure if this is a particular problem with soft wire on the l/g of my own model, even a real greaser of a landing tends to bend the stub axles a bit. Mine seems to fly happily with anything betwen a 500 2s and a 750 2s. Enjoy!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:31 AM
Joined Sep 2010
400 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Rodger.

I can say this is going to be a slow build, but fun! Got one wing all hinged up...can't rush these things
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:15 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Lucky you with flaps which the e-Flite version doesn't have. She's very kind on touch down anyway but flaps always adds a bit of fun!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Sep 2010
400 Posts
yeah Rodger...looking forward to seeing how she flys with added flaps

Well both wings are hinged up now, so slowly getting her built. Still not sure what motor I'll use? still working on that one.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:25 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I used something like this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2069

It gives performance similar to that in the video above. If you're happy with not flying WOT the whole time you'll get some decent endurance. Can't think yours is going to be a whole lot heavier than mine, even with flaps.

This one would give you a bit more steam http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2109
but the first one I listed has 400 gr of thrust, -14 oz which is well more than what my model weighs and you don't see many Grasshoppers doing unlimited vertical
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
400 Posts
Rodger the eflite grasshopper is smaller then the Hyperion, with a wing span of 1.4mt with a fly weight of about 1.1-1.3kg (being a 25e size model) so I was going to go with either the HK 35-42skIII or the Hyperion 3019 with a 12x6 prop...running a 3s 2250 pack.

Like the one wheel touch"n"go in the vid too
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
400 Posts
No progress so far! But got a second to layout and have a good look over some parts...I'm thinking she's going to need some weathering once finished to make her stand out

Looking at all that plastic to be cut, I can say this is going to be fun but that's apart of the build...and the build quality is very nice, well finished off!