HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:08 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,972 Posts
45A sounds on the edge for a heavy truck like the Trooper. Especially on 3S. I second the advice to get at least a 60A version, 3S is killer for many things, not just the transmission.

Nice job on that body, Chubbs!
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
234 Posts
I ordered a 45A one from the EU warehouse cause I thought that was the best choice for the price, and a 60A from China :/

I thought the Trackstar scale one doesn't have a "hard start"...
zedooo is offline Find More Posts by zedooo
Old Oct 26, 2014, 06:35 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
New desert raid body for the trooper!

This was the first time I had ever used an airbrush. It turned out....ok. the shadows look more dirty than anything, but it won't look so bad from the driver's stand, or after it's covered in dirt. It's an improvement over stock at least.

I'm hoping the next airbrushed body goes better. I finally got the airbrushed dialed in just the way I wanted just as I was putting the last coat on.
Awesome paint job, seriously decent first time effort!!
Love the body too real sweet, is that a 1/10 proline shell?
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:04 PM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedooo View Post
I ordered a 45A one from the EU warehouse cause I thought that was the best choice for the price, and a 60A from China :/

I thought the Trackstar scale one doesn't have a "hard start"...
The 45A may not handle it too well, maybe OK for 2S. The 60A should do you well. I picked up an X-Car 120A for something like $28USD from HK, got the programmer too so that I could calm the thing to do only soft starts...I was after longevity and fun rather than insane acceleration!

But then again I tend to run mine at the beach, so massive power sometimes isn't my friend. Running 3S is a handful to keep it in a straight line in the sand!
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:17 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2010
296 Posts
Cmon guys we talk about this every few months. Go out and buy the 100 amp esc for $35 you'll never look back. On 3s its a monster. My trooper is in the shop with a blown front diff. My neighbors house was torn down and the trooper loves the large hole in the ground and the mountains of dirt on the property.
ck986 is online now Find More Posts by ck986
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:28 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Awesome paint job, seriously decent first time effort!!
Love the body too real sweet, is that a 1/10 proline shell?
Yes, 1/10 proline Desert Raid body.

I like the looks of the body, BUT i'm not a fan of the high mounting position. Proline states you need "extended body posts", which they don't make for the trooper obviously.

So instead, I extended the stock body posts with a piece of carbon arrow shaft. It works, but it's a bit flimsy and puts alot of stress on the posts. I forsee breaking them more often.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:44 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,218 Posts
This is the servo I ended up going with
BMS-621DMGplusHS High Speed Digital Servo (MG) 7.2kg / .10sec / 46.5g (USA warehouse)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=42529

It works pretty good, though I'm only comparing it to the stock servo. There was one incident were I went to plug the battery in and my rx was flashing and the servo was kind of tripping out, but cycling the power once took the problem away and I haven't seen it act that way again. If it was a brownout and it happens again, I'll try using a HK BEC to see if it helps.

Also, HK sells a couple servo horns that fit the bluebird servo, and they work pretty good too. The only problem is their color, red and purple, I use the purple clamping one. Both of these horns, along with the servo, were available in the US warehouse too!
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=23598
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=66745

The servo is a drop in replacement, but the only thing I don't like about it is the "wire stress-relief boot" coming out of the servo case makes the wires come out really close to the pinion gear. So I taped the wire back, and I could remove the boot if I wanted to (and maybe hot glue a little it for stress relief), but it's just one of those things that I'll have to keep an eye on, and if I have to I'll be shortening and resoldering the wire if anything bad happens . In the picture it looks a lot worse than it is really, it's about 3-4mm apart.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Oct 27, 2014 at 01:01 PM.