HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:37 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
No---I haven't tried the tail on 4 flashes yet...That's next!!!

I got in some more parts to help make my heli more crash resistant...The latest being the aftermarket servo savers...I've damaged my helis servo gears twice with hard "arrivals" on concrete......

Another thing that I need to get used to is the Throttle Hold switch....Or, the "Bail Out" switch as I like to call it...My instincts tell me to try to fly the heli out of ANY mauever that I get in trouble with---Comes from flying planes---As you just can't hit a "bail" switch with a plane if ya know what I mean!!!......With the servo saver mod I now feel more comfortable trying new things with my heli---But over grassy surfaces!!!

The mods I have so far are: Micro Heli Metal Swash, Align Metal Tail Motor Mount w/Carbon Tail Fin, Silicone "O" Rings on the Swash Connections, Linx Tail Rotor, Carbon Fiber Main Shaft, and the Servo Saver mod/kit...

When hitting the throttle hold becomes second nature to me I should have a pretty robust heli when flown over grass!!!...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:08 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2013
466 Posts
I have been following this thread right from the beginning and I see you guys just replacing so many stock parts with aftermarket ones that I wonder : wouldn't it be better to just simply buy all the parts and built the heli your self ? It would surely save some money right ?

I hear the spare stock parts are not so expensive.

Just a thought
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Nov 2011
103 Posts
I pric ed up the DIY option before buying mine, but it worked out more expensive (even after factoring in the necessary upgrades)

To make this bird as durable as an MCPX BL you need:
Alu Swash, solid carbon main shaft, carbon boom, Lynx FS, servo saver mod (free)

In this configuration I've now had over 10 crashes with zero damage other than a cracked canopy. That's flying over grass though and I'm pretty quick with TH.

For me, getting the tail locked in also involved purchasing a new tail motor, new motor bell and new tail prop.

So, yes this heli isn't cheap to get it perfect, but once you have these mods it's the best micro heli currently available. Well worth the money IMHO and should be in everyones heli collection
rcdesigns is offline Find More Posts by rcdesigns
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:01 AM
HFP80-HCP80-TREX 150
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2014
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
No---I haven't tried the tail on 4 flashes yet...That's next!!!

I got in some more parts to help make my heli more crash resistant...The latest being the aftermarket servo savers...I've damaged my helis servo gears twice with hard "arrivals" on concrete......

Another thing that I need to get used to is the Throttle Hold switch....Or, the "Bail Out" switch as I like to call it...My instincts tell me to try to fly the heli out of ANY mauever that I get in trouble with---Comes from flying planes---As you just can't hit a "bail" switch with a plane if ya know what I mean!!!......With the servo saver mod I now feel more comfortable trying new things with my heli---But over grassy surfaces!!!

The mods I have so far are: Micro Heli Metal Swash, Align Metal Tail Motor Mount w/Carbon Tail Fin, Silicone "O" Rings on the Swash Connections, Linx Tail Rotor, Carbon Fiber Main Shaft, and the Servo Saver mod/kit...

When hitting the throttle hold becomes second nature to me I should have a pretty robust heli when flown over grass!!!...

Kevin
I understand the Throttle Hold dilemma. I've pretty much got it down now, but that was the hardest hurdle for me to overcome also.. Now I hope I don't do that when flying the fixed wings...
FliHi is offline Find More Posts by FliHi
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:48 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliHi View Post
I understand the Throttle Hold dilemma. I've pretty much got it down now, but that was the hardest hurdle for me to overcome also.. Now I hope I don't do that when flying the fixed wings...
I've started flying Helis before wings, I use throttle hold on everything!

It's truly a life saver, I've seen too many people bump the throttle stick while doing the walk of shame when both hands were full of plane and the stick bumped thier chest. or even had my daughter be nice and grab my TX to give to me while I had a plane in front of me plugged in.

Throttle hold is awesome.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
When I flew nitro powered helis I had the TH switch ingrained in my head for use with Autos...Not for minimizing crash damage as we can with these small micro helis...With a nitro powered heli it's not IF the motor quits but WHEN!!!...

When I first got into small/micro helis w/fixed pitch blades I got into the habit of just reducing the throttle to zero when I got in trouble...Now that I've progressed to FBL collective pitch helis reducing the throttle to zero is a HUGE NO-NO!!!...When flying in Idle Up reducing the throttle to zero gives you full power with negative collective---So basically, you end up pile driving the heli into the turf............

I desperately need to break that bad habit!!!---Has anyone tried one of the main gears w/one way Torington bearings available for this heli to do Autos???

Kevin
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
146 Posts
Auto on a 150? are you nuts? no that wont work its to light and with a motorized tail you have no control at all
IM back! is offline Find More Posts by IM back!
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
When I flew nitro powered helis I had the TH switch ingrained in my head for use with Autos...Not for minimizing crash damage as we can with these small micro helis...With a nitro powered heli it's not IF the motor quits but WHEN!!!...

When I first got into small/micro helis w/fixed pitch blades I got into the habit of just reducing the throttle to zero when I got in trouble...Now that I've progressed to FBL collective pitch helis reducing the throttle to zero is a HUGE NO-NO!!!...When flying in Idle Up reducing the throttle to zero gives you full power with negative collective---So basically, you end up pile driving the heli into the turf............

I desperately need to break that bad habit!!!---Has anyone tried one of the main gears w/one way Torington bearings available for this heli to do Autos???

Kevin
MH sent me a one way main gear when they couldn't fix the screws binding on the frame issue and its the same gear as the non one way they use. It bent when I tried to screw the screws in further to avoid the binding. I countersunk the normal one but the gear can be removed and can be put on the one way centre. It is however pointless and will just add weight and would bug me not being able to move it both ways when putting away etc.

Stock gear fits MH frame without drilling anything.

I also found out that the junk I had to deal with is still being sold by them but they now have an advanced X frame which is exactly the same but that bottom section is ALL alu now so those two screws I have issue with are not even there.

Shame they couldn't admit they fooked up and still sell it along side the upgraded one. So if you buy the full pack with canpy etc, be very careful your not getting the old design with issues where the motor plate is carbon not alu.

Still not had chance to try the mini cp tail blade in large space but i'm sold on this heli now and I do believe for me it's sensible to make the heli from scratch. I have the weakest motors align produced on main and tail rather than the first ones so I wish to go oversky all main and tail, blheli and stiff frame. With the parts I need its more expensive to buy one and upgrade than build but I have some stock parts from first one still too.
microrcfiend is online now Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:41 PM
HFP80-HCP80-TREX 150
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2014
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM back! View Post
Auto on a 150? are you nuts? no that wont work its to light and with a motorized tail you have no control at all
+1 on this one

I do have the Lynx one way bearing, but:
it's added weight, also mine added a vibration..
but: it is cool on power down!
in short, I don't use it anymore.
FliHi is offline Find More Posts by FliHi
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliHi View Post
+1 on this one

I do have the Lynx one way bearing, but:
it's added weight, also mine added a vibration..
but: it is cool on power down!
in short, I don't use it anymore.
Ahhhh---Gotcha!!!...I didn't think about no tail rotor control---But I guess a piro down to earth is better than a splat!!!...But if the one way bearing causes vibration then it's absolutely worthless in my book...

Kevin
Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,365 Posts
Tried the 150 with minicp tail blade briefly to day and put tail comp back down from 4 to 3 flashes. In short, it was terrible even in mild flight with no wind, better than stock but not much. Should get a good session tomorrow and push the 4 flashes/mini cp tail blade combo properly
Old Jul 14, 2014, 05:29 PM
Fly 'em if you can.
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2011
198 Posts
Im fine with the 4 flashes and stock tail, but then again im not pushing mine any where near what you are doing in the vidsof yours I saw. Nice flying BTW.
leedude1 is offline Find More Posts by leedude1
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,365 Posts
Ok guys. I'm convinced the stock main gears are utter junk, vibration inducting waste of money.
Same exact heli with MH main gear spins totally true and heli tail is best I have ever had it, close to perfect with mini cp tail blade - the kind of heli that makes you want a second instantly.

Exactly the same heli with only the main gear changed to a brand new align one and the tail waves around in a hover and is un tuneable. Wags badly and still doesn't hold, really really pathetic and I have tried 3 now. If I spin up the heli and watch the gear from the side it's quiet clear they do not run true and wobbly badly like the one I thought was an exception with the heli as new.

After this I talked to a friend who just installed rakon kits with gear and he said heli flew great and his videos show perfect tail. He crashed it and stripped the gear, put on a brand new stock one (he tried 5!) and the heli won't even hold tail in a hover and described exactly my issues in his.

I'm so frustrated at this that I will be making video of this and the MH or rakon gear and contacting align. I want replacement of the multiple stock brand new gears that are utterly junk. Anyone having tail issues stock may want to try an expensive MH gear, they are softer than stock but for me makes a junk heli into an almost perfect one - that much difference.

EDIT -

I contacted Align UK and although they were not interested in anything not purchased from them they were willing to take back the junk main gears and assess the situation. Anyone who has bought from them must contact them personally.

I offered them video of both gears but didn't seem interested. See how this plays out and report back but wonky main gears are totally unacceptable. I did tell them that without this issue the 150 is a complete joy to fly and I have already bought a second (just need frame and main gear) as once it's vibe free it's a stunner.

If you have the same issue, please email them as he seemed pretty shocked they were so bad. They need to know.
Last edited by microrcfiend; Yesterday at 08:10 AM.