Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 05, 2004, 12:14 AM
Joined Feb 2004
75 Posts
Need help with upgrades on my new Dragonfly

Just purchased a dragonfly from microrcs. It is my first heli and with such a cheap price i think its a good option.

Wondering for the cheapest yet most effective upgrades what should i get besides the whole battery thing(which im going to do)

i came across this post during searching:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=Dragonfly

and seems like a custom engine upgrade and looks interesing.

also i read something about a DD tail motor i need a link on where to find that if possible.

thanks guys, ben
tekforce is offline Find More Posts by tekforce
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2004, 04:17 AM
detroit
Joined Feb 2004
8 Posts
upgrades

i too just got my heli too , i got the aerohawk and love it. ive been doing some resaerch and i think most popular and effective upgrades ive been contemplating is 7.4v 1200 lithium batteries and charger. motor upgrade( i ordered that same motor two days ago from same tread). pinion to 8 tooth is suposed to be easier on motor load. trim the blades to get more head speed for more response trim from 3mm at root to 2mm at end of blade. and 2 mm off the end of blade to make it shorter. dd tail rotor is suposed to be tons better from what i hear but im holding off on that one for the moment.

and that should have us busy for a while. but continue flying between upgrades to rate progress and good luck.
rodgermoore2001 is offline Find More Posts by rodgermoore2001
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:25 AM
California
Joined Dec 2003
82 Posts
From what I've read in this forum, the following are recommended upgrades beside battery & motor:

1) Swashplate with ball mod - $10.00
http://www.greathobbies.com/frame_index.html
2) Shaft collar - $8.00
http://www.helihobby.com/html/hummingbird_upgrades.html
3) Direct drive tail motor - $11.00
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...xc_1006022.htm

Hope this help.
RickyT is online now Find More Posts by RickyT
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:30 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
Those three for sure, dont forget heat sinks for both motors, they will pay for themselves in an hour of flying.
Trimming your main blades or using these http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&pagenumber=11 will help your heli fly better too.
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2004
75 Posts
so you got that motor their talking about in that thread? Its just so cheap and seems like a fun tinkering project. Now u mentioned something about different teeth. In that post they give me a link is that the right motor i want if i wanted to do this "custom motor upgrade"

and to the guy that posted links for thos upgrades...THANKS!!! exactly what i needed(nice a cheap upgrades)
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:33 AM
Joined Feb 2004
75 Posts
are you the one that makes those custom blades? if so id like to purchase a set.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Stanton
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
Yes Yukonho is the one that makes the blades here's the thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...58#post1795358
mdttb is offline Find More Posts by mdttb
Old Feb 05, 2004, 11:30 AM
Joined Feb 2004
75 Posts
ok new question here i been reading a post about someone burning out motors and response was get better ones with heatsinks can someone give me a link to a palce to get the ones i wanna get.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 02:26 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
Heatsinks should be available anywhere that sells GWS, and that is almost everywhere. Do not under estimate their value, they are essential.
Yes, I make the blades. I will send you a PM with order info.
co
Old Feb 05, 2004, 08:12 PM
Fair Oaks, CA
Joined Jan 2004
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RickyT
From what I've read in this forum, the following are recommended upgrades beside battery & motor:
1) Swashplate with ball mod - $10.00
http://www.greathobbies.com/frame_index.html
Hope this help.
Great post!

FWIW, here's the direct link to that Cupid swashplate with the ball included: http://www.greathobbies.com/scart/pr...tNumber=BTT052
...they currently list it at $7.49 Canadian dollars.

Randii
randii is offline Find More Posts by randii
Old Feb 05, 2004, 09:38 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randii
...they currently list it at $7.49 Canadian dollars.
Sigh. I paid full price a few days ago. And, mine arrived with one of the ball arms broken off. Haven't tried it in the 'bird yet, but it looks to be a direct replacement from very, very similar molds.

I don't know what's wrong with the US/Canada border with regards to shipping, but in the past month or so I've sent and received several packages from "up there" and the delivery times keep... getting... looongerrrrr...
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:42 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
So you know Mondo, my package from you arrived yesterday. Took a long time eh? I still have not received my radio that was shipped before your package was
co
Old Feb 05, 2004, 11:17 PM
United States, TX, Lindale
Joined Apr 2003
910 Posts
I got my cupid swash installed on my "stock" HB ....bad night of trying to fly for me, broke my CF blades and my tail rotor..........on my brushless setup looks like its time for some of your blades Yukonho
crazhorse is offline Find More Posts by crazhorse
Last edited by crazhorse; Feb 05, 2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2004, 03:44 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
Ben,

I struggled with my Dragonfly for 4 months. I just couldn't learn to hover it, it reacted sluggishly to cyclic inputs, and even with reduced throws I would always over control and crash.

But then a Dragonfly "expert" over here told me to do two things. Cut the TE of the blades down by 3mm at the root and 2mm at the tips, plus make a head stiffener from Dubro ball links. Doing these two simple and cheap mods transformed the control response of the model and instantly I could hover!! Now, two weeks later I am just able to fly slow circuits around myself. But the bad thing is that I am getting seriously addicted to this heli thing.

Graham.
Salto is offline Find More Posts by Salto
Old Feb 06, 2004, 06:42 PM
Joined Feb 2004
75 Posts
Can you elaborate for a newbie what exactly to do on these 2 mods:

Cut the TE of the blades down by 3mm at the root and 2mm at the tips, plus make a head stiffener from Dubro ball links.