Got the rudder cables installed.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
I constructed a field stand for my Fly Baby.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:32 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,067 Posts

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
I have gotten a little more work done since last check-in.

Let's see..........

Got my two 2S LiPo batteries for the on-board radio system stuff and figured out where to place them and some velcro patches.

Tried modifying one of the aluminum servo horns but it did not come out as nice as I hoped it would. So I am using Dubro extra heavy duty servo arms instead on the elevator servos.

I got the landing gear cross brace made and installed.

I made some wing attaching bolts out of wing nuts and socket head bolts JB Weld'ed together.

I fitted my ring exhaust collector to the engine and checked out how it fits on the airplane and it's perfect!

I measured for a spot to run the glow plug harness through the firewall and then drilled it. Forstner bits are great for drilling into wood.

And I made a faux aluminum firewall out of HVAC aluminum tape.

I think that's it for now.
Last edited by Kmot; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,524 Posts
Tom: My last PIC time was in my full scale Bowers Fly Baby. It was painted almost identical to this .(no U S Mail). Some of my best times in full scale.

OBW

PS Oh no,now we can bug each other in "aircraft"
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
Terry you never cease to amaze me.

Okay, now you realize you must send me all photos of your FB and any videos, stories, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Terry you never cease to amaze me.

Okay, now you realize you must send me all photos of your FB and any videos, stories, etc.

Tom:here's a link you may already have. Other links are to be found in there.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/index.html#new

That plane sure looks goooood,and a good representation of the full scale.

OBW

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:29 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
Yep, I have everything that can be found online. Might even have a pic of your old plane, just don't know which one it is.

BTW, my project has been/is on hold temporarily due to family issues. Reason for no updates...
Old May 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
Hey Terry, after a three month interruption in my project I have started back on it today.

My wife is currently out of town so I am taking full advantage of the fact that I can spread out in the living room. She would have a conniption fit if she walked in and saw this!

And since it is over 100F outside I would rather work in the cool of the house.

I have actually been trying to get my head wrapped around this project again, and trying to get back into the groove where I left off. I knew I needed to get the rigging wires for the wings done so that is what I started on today.

Instead of the kit supplied lobster claw for a woman's necklace I decided to use some sailboat turnbuckles and fishing swivels. It extended the connection slightly but it is just as simple to hook up and will be stronger I feel.

I first glued the swivel attaching eyes into the wings. Then I had to clip an itty bitty little fishing swivel ring onto the fuselage hoop along with the turnbuckles and swivels. For a guy with fat fingers this was no easy feat.

Then I hooked up the wires and clevises. Only did one side today. Will do the other later.

I do not have small enough actual SS safety wire so I just used a piece of the rigging wire to safety the turnbuckle from twisting.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:27 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
The covering is 'alive'

Strange thing about the covering on this model...

I wanted to take some posed photos so I moved the plane out of my house to the backyard. When going from the cool of the house to the warmth of outside the covering immediately sagged. Like in a couple of minutes. Even though the plane was in the shade.

I placed the model out into the sunlight and after awhile the covering started to tighten up again if it was in the sunlight. The sides of the fuselage remained saggy. After I took photos I moved the plane back into the shade. A little while later I looked at it again and even the sides had tightened up again. All the covering was once again taut.

I have never seen a covering react like this one before.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
I kept having a problem with my velcro for the batteries staying in place so I just decided to use regular Shoo Goo. Sure hope the velcro decides to stay stuck in place this time.

In other news, I had an issue with connecting my harnesses for my telemetry to the airspeed pitot. I used a Spektrum extension inside the wing and thought I was okay. But the extension is male-female. I also have an extension from the telemetry module to just outside the fuselage. It also terminates with a female end. So I needed a male-male connector and Spektrum does not offer one. I could have bought another short Spektrum extension for $10 bucks and cut off the male end and spliced it to the existing extension in the wing, for example. But I asked a friend of mine who is into electronics if he could identify what plug is used and he did. So then I shopped on eBay and found a pack of 10 connectors with pigtails and matching plugs, for $5.95 shipped from China. I got them in exactly one week from ordering. Today I made a male-male adapter so problem solved.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,524 Posts
Tom check this out then go back to their home page.
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...Connectors.pdf
About 2 wks. ago I ordered connector parts etc. in the afternoon. Later the same day I was notified prod. shipped from Chicago. Fantastic to deal with. Hansen hobbies.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:23 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
I ordered a servo extension making kit from him years ago. Still have a bag full of parts. I prefer the factory made servo extensions compared to how mine turn out.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
The Shoo Goo worked great. Finally! So now my velcro pieces are good and 'stuck'.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,853 Posts
Okay, it's time to get the final details worked out. I needed to install the engine mount using locknuts on the inside. I knew it was going to be difficult, and it turned out to be a major PITA.

But first, I wanted to put a little shine back on the engine and mount. It has gotten dulled out with all the handling.

Two of the screws butted up against rails that support the fuel tank and also glow driver battery. I had already installed the plate and battery, which now had to be removed to get access to the screws. And further, the rails had to be notched out to make room for the nuts. So I went digging with an Xacto knife. Trying to fit my fat hand, Xacto knife, and flashlight all in that little space was tough! And trying to see it clearly with my crappy eyesight was not much better. I had a cheap pair of 99 Cent Store reading glasses on to help.

After notching the rails, I had to install the nuts 'by feel', using one fingertip, while turning the screw outside with an Allen wrench. Once the nuts were started, I was able to use an 8mm ignition wrench to hold them while I turned the Allen key 1/3 revolution at a time. Tedious, slow, and awkward. But it got done.

The two top nuts were cake. I was able to use a 8mm deep socket and extensions. The bottom nut again required the 8mm spanner.