HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:16 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,176 Posts
Well 6 1/2 flights deep and my motor and/or ESC is done. As I said when I first got it the ESC got pretty warm just setting up the control surfaces. Well today I went out with 4 batteries. The sun was setting, no wind, 58F in central Ohio....perfect. Took off and got about 25' high and the motor just stopped. I was able to save it and land perfectly with zero damage. Checked the throttle and the motor was cogging badly. Got my temp gauge and the ESC was 155F and motor 167F after a 20sec flight! Horizon is sending me a new motor and ESC, but its grounded for a week or better.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Well 6 1/2 flights deep and my motor and/or ESC is done. As I said when I first got it the ESC got pretty warm just setting up the control surfaces. Well today I went out with 4 batteries. The sun was setting, no wind, 58F in central Ohio....perfect. Took off and got about 25' high and the motor just stopped. I was able to save it and land perfectly with zero damage. Checked the throttle and the motor was cogging badly. Got my temp gauge and the ESC was 155F and motor 167F after a 20sec flight! Horizon is sending me a new motor and ESC, but its grounded for a week or better.

What do you think is causing this? Too small of an esc?
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,176 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure. The ESC is getting too warm just from plugging in the battery, but I had a Park280 in my Grasshopper and it did the same cogging before it smoked. So my opinion is 2 e-flite motors of the same size run the way they suggest and both have failed.....I think it's a problem with the motor itself since the Grasshopper was using a Dualsky ESC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,176 Posts
So I found on my motor that the stator was no longer glued in place causing it to bounce back and forth which probably caused to motor to fail. I tried a 18 amp I had since it had the same connectors and it still cogs. I'll have to check the wires on the windings and see if they may have broken with all the bouncing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
I changed the esc to 12 amp and have a park 340 coming on Monday or Tuesday. I have a apc 7x4E on my park 280 pulling 140 watts and 12.2 amps static with a thunder power 325mah 65c 3s. So far the motor has survived, I'll give it a good go this weekend and see if it gets cooked before I swap motors.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,176 Posts
So I just tried another ESC, 18amp Parkzone had the same connectors on it, motor still cogs and the wires are fine. Also tried another motor with the stock ESC and it runs it fine with not cogging. So it's the motor. The ESC still gets warm, but my IR temp. guage shows 114F which is perfectly within acceptable limits. I'm thinking of getting a Park300 for it since this is the second 280 that has crapped out on me in the last 2 months....

here's where mine needed glue:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:16 AM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
So I just tried another ESC, 18amp Parkzone had the same connectors on it, motor still cogs and the wires are fine. Also tried another motor with the stock ESC and it runs it fine with not cogging. So it's the motor. The ESC still gets warm, but my IR temp. guage shows 114F which is perfectly within acceptable limits. I'm thinking of getting a Park300 for it since this is the second 280 that has crapped out on me in the last 2 months....

here's where mine needed glue:

Park 300 will be perfect
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:14 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123 View Post
Park 300 will be perfect
I just tried to mount the Park 300 and was unsuccessful. You'll need some sort of custom mount to get it on there and you'll also need to reverse the Park 300 shaft in order to use the collet styple prop adapter.

My stock motor started cogging this morning. I have to call HH.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:37 AM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I just tried to mount the Park 300 and was unsuccessful. You'll need some sort of custom mount to get it on there and you'll also need to reverse the Park 300 shaft in order to use the collet styple prop adapter.

My stock motor started cogging this morning. I have to call HH.

Have you ever thought about looking at the motorfly motors? They have good small motors that are very efficient
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:42 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever thought about looking at the motorfly motors? They have good small motors that are very efficient
I have! But I think the issue that you're going to run into with ANY motor that you pick is that it appears they have used a proprietary mount on these stock 280 motors. So unless you can get that thing off the Park 280 (I couldn't) then you're not going to be able to mount another motor unless you fab something up.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:55 AM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I have! But I think the issue that you're going to run into with ANY motor that you pick is that it appears they have used a proprietary mount on these stock 280 motors. So unless you can get that thing off the Park 280 (I couldn't) then you're not going to be able to mount another motor unless you fab something up.

Is it a normal x-mount that the motors is connected through?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Is it a normal x-mount that the motors is connected through?
Looks like it from the pictures. I have not had mine out, but sure looks like you should be able to take the set screws out and get the x mount off the motor. But I could be completely out in left field on this one.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:11 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
The hacker a10 fits in the edge with the included x mount. I should be getting the park 340 in a day or two, hopefully that fits without much issue.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Looks like it from the pictures. I have not had mine out, but sure looks like you should be able to take the set screws out and get the x mount off the motor. But I could be completely out in left field on this one.
I can't seem to get the mount off. It appears to be one with the motor casing.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, MO, Raymore
Joined Nov 2011
242 Posts
In regards to the esc warming up just setting.. Is everyone binding with throttle trim all the way down? I missed it till I read over the second time. Mine seems ok..
My thoughts are in line with other posts regaurding quality. Not liking the cowling design. Kinda loose fitting. But the plane flies very smooth to me. I flew it in ten plus winds, and it wasn't the best flying but did fly. No good tricks to come out of it from me at ten mph or more. It was fun though, made it feel real floaty just sitting in the wind not really moving! All in all a great buy. I to am waiting for a 7X3.5 gws. Broke the flimsy stock one. Too bad they make a person work so hard to modify it. Look foward to hear motor reviews!
Ohhhh, does anyone else notice that when ya spin the prop by hand, you see the backplate wobble as if the shaft isn't true? Mine did this off the bat and I spent about an hour trying to align it,Adapter, but didn't get much better. Nothing looks bent. It causes the heavier props that I have tried to shake the heck out of the plane, even after balancing the props. HH said both the ones he grabbed while speaking to me did the same thing. I've heard the, (it's normal) story b4! Anyone else notice a bit a wobble?
bradharvy is offline Find More Posts by bradharvy