HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:38 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
Was all set to iron the covering to the bottom of the fuselage when I remembered these things.... they're distinctive, and easy enough to install without adding hardly any weight. Can anyone tell me what they are?
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Last edited by phillip57; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:58 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
I think they were for flares to be released if needed.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Daily; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
Last edited by phillip57; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:41 AM
a.k.a. skcope
Trumbull, CT
Joined Feb 2007
291 Posts
I think they are flare tubes for dropping signal flares.
AVGDAY is offline Find More Posts by AVGDAY
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:51 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skcope View Post
I think they are flare tubes for dropping signal flares.
I wonder why would he want to drop a flare? Why two tubes?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:45 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,290 Posts
The full size Spirit surely does show a lot of wear and tear. That could prove to be an advantage later when your completed Spirit accumulates the odd ding or two. You just need to point to a close up of the original and authoritatively claim, "prototypical you see." You are going to have to start covering and painting to a lower standard though.
Best,
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:27 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
When it was new, I'm sure it looked smooth and relatively un-blemished, and this one is modeled after the pre-atlantic crossing version. It will need some mud spattering to be truly authentic though.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:20 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
The esc and rx are held in place with a dab each of silicone caulk. Placement of the battery box will depend on how she balances. Fortunately there is some room to move.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
Regarding the flare tubes, think about having to land in Paris or somewhere short of that in the dark. That is why they needed them.

Just watched the Spirit of St. Louis last night and again today on cable--what a story! A year after Lindy's flight, 4 men flew a used Fokker trimotor from Oakland CA, to Hawaii, then on to Fiji and finally to Australia. Think about trying to find Hawaii or Fiji with the navigation technology of 1928. Fiji is is tiny compared to Europe. The men were Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith, another Aussie (Ulm) and two Americans (navigator and backup pilot). See this link for more info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=pan+pacif
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Daily; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, MI, Lake Orion
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
Right ,but did they wear seat belts?
sarkantyu is offline Find More Posts by sarkantyu
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:29 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
I believe the Pacific, is why the Atlantic is referred to as "the pond."

The center section te is more thin than the plan shows, trying to get closer to a scale look.
Last edited by phillip57; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:09 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skcope View Post
Have you tried a pencil eraser? Chock a pencil in an electric drill eraser side down and you can make swirls that way. A drill press is great if you have access to one. I have also glued small swatches of Scotchbrite pads to the end of a dowel with epoxy and had decent results.
-Scott
That's what I used. However you may have to try several types. My pencil eraser worked very nicely but went missing before I finished and I could not find exactly the same eraser again. The pink ones are too soft. Some white ones are too hard. Also your scale is quite a bit larger so a pencil eraser might be too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Was all set to iron the covering to the bottom of the fuselage when I remembered these things.... they're distinctive, and easy enough to install without adding hardly any weight. Can anyone tell me what they are?
Those are indeed flare tubes but I believe they were added for the Guggenheim tour after the plane was returned to North America. Similarly, the carb heat box control cable, cowl louvres, and the flags painted on the cowl were not present for the flight to Paris. If you're modelling the plane as it was for the crossing then omit the flare tubes. I do see that you've not yet framed in the periscope.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Feb 05, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:19 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
The periscope framing will come. Although, the instrument panel is mounted too far forward for the periscope, I'll put in the frame for looks.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:40 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Joined Aug 2007
348 Posts
phillip57, I`ve read your build log from the beginning during last weekend...wonderful job !!!! I learnt a lot from your building skills, thanks for sharing so many photos with us. I have a lot a photos from the San Diego reproduction, just let me know if they are useful and I can send them to you.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul Bonati is offline Find More Posts by Paul Bonati
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:52 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,623 Posts
Thanks Paul, Glad you're along. There's plenty of documentation for what I intend, this won't be a contest plane, but a fun flyer.
Today was hand holds...