Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:11 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
tired V.1 P47 is faster than ANY of the new birds...she'll beat "Balls Out" in a drag race every time...
The V1 P-47 is certainly fast! When I first got that bird I was like WOW.....

This thing goes like stink!
Sed8ed is offline Find More Posts by Sed8ed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:10 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,045 Posts
Yup, still does, and I'm contemplating a new motor, as the old one doesn't have that magnetic resistance when you turn the prop by hand...in fact no resistance at all, the magnets are getting worn, it's been flown so many times, and is STILL faster than any of the V.2 planes...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:11 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Apr 2014
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post

The ironic thing is that I can ditch the stock prop and part of the spinner to run a $1.00 GWS 7x6. There is plenty of flex in the prop so that the same prop strikes result in the blades flexing rather than snapping off. One can clearly see a more efficient solution to eliminating bent shafts. way more cost effective too. I do have much less of a problem on the P-40 with it's different shape forward fuse, the zero as a belly flopped is a problem with stock props.

What really bugs me about the stock props is that one blade breaks off, it takes the strength of a gorilla to break any remaining blades. I'm almost wanting to bet that there is one blade root on all the props that is weak due to a manufacturing issue.
right
so true on gorilla strength to break stock by hand , using 8x6 2 blade takes a strike nice
Rsurfer is offline Find More Posts by Rsurfer
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:18 PM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
524 Posts
Took the blue camo 109 out this morning to give it another try before i receive the lemon rx w/ stabilizer. Surprisingly, I managed to not brake a prop in my 4 flights! Figures since I just got my order of 4 GWS 3 bladers .

I also seemed to find the trick to hand launching the plane. I always have been underhanding my jpower t45, and not once had a handlaunch mishap in the past 2 yrs since I've owned it. I decided to try under-handing the 109, and it is much better now.

I toss with my left hand, with my hand back towards the tail so my thumb is right on the bar cross. About half throttle with 3S, and 40-50 degrees launch angle. Tosses were much more consistent than whenever I overhanded it. Also a much less chance of accidentally releasing it towards the ground.
Dirty Dee is offline Find More Posts by Dirty Dee
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,406 Posts
With a dead calm Sunday morning, I took the Me-109 out for a fly with all its bigger brothers...
DEAD CALM... that is when the 800mm aircraft excel !! They are all great flyers then!
It is a small plane, but looks 100% scale and realistic in the air when flying then! I don't even want to fly it in any other conditions than that! It is a chalk and cheese result. No wind - perfect... ANY wind, an 'excessively' buffeted plane (eg no more true to scale flight).
It is so good then that I fly every battery I can find for it! Though every model flies awesome in dead calm too! So then you want to fly any/all of them to the max anyway! Even quadcopters, lol.

It doesn't mean you can't fly them in wind, it is just nothing like the perfection of dead calm flying! Where they do EVERY aspect perfectly and cleanly... eg No turning 'down wind' effects, or any buffeting etc.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
804 Posts
I agree with what you say about the wind. The FW-190 was virtually unflyable in any wind. Thought I had some weird airframe issue, until I flew on a dead calm day. Made all the difference in the world.

Try a Lemon Rx stabilizer, they make them fly like it's dead calm all the time. Yes, they really work that well. I'm swapping all of my Rx's out to the Lemons...
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Yesterday, 02:25 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee View Post
Took the blue camo 109 out this morning to give it another try before i receive the lemon rx w/ stabilizer. Surprisingly, I managed to not brake a prop in my 4 flights! Figures since I just got my order of 4 GWS 3 bladers .

I also seemed to find the trick to hand launching the plane. I always have been underhanding my jpower t45, and not once had a handlaunch mishap in the past 2 yrs since I've owned it. I decided to try under-handing the 109, and it is much better now.

I toss with my left hand, with my hand back towards the tail so my thumb is right on the bar cross. About half throttle with 3S, and 40-50 degrees launch angle. Tosses were much more consistent than whenever I overhanded it. Also a much less chance of accidentally releasing it towards the ground.
Totally agree, much easier than Tossing overhand and yo can hold a little backstick with yerr right Thumb.
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
United States, OH, Mt Vernon
Joined Nov 2010
262 Posts
Anybody have some good links for replacement motors? Preferably ones that mount right to the firewall rather than the two screws on the side.
00Smurf is offline Find More Posts by 00Smurf
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
681 Posts
Here' some video I forgot to upload.

Flight Shenanigans with the 800mm FMS P-47 (6 min 28 sec)
Sed8ed is offline Find More Posts by Sed8ed
Last edited by Sed8ed; Today at 05:18 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
United States, NC, Winterville
Joined Jun 2014
33 Posts
Short Fuse Sallee-lacking thrust?

Hi all-
Have a problem that has me perplexed. Maidened my 800 mm P51 yesterday and all looked great except power. Once hand launched, it flew a perfect, stable path but no thrust. So little that it slowly crept into a tip stall to the ground. It was like running half throttle but it was WOT.
Holding the bird at WOT you can tell that it cannot hold it's own weight.
Here are some points that I checked (some twice). I don't understand why it lacks gusto. I have other small birds in the size (and one is a P51) with almost identical motors. Same bats, prop size/pitch, and about the same weight- +/- 30 grams and they scoot along nicely. Here are some points and data:

-Stock motor 1300kv, grub screws tight
-2 blade 8.5 x 9 FMS
-All in weight w/out battery: 420 grams with drop tanks and no LG
-2S Turnigy 25-35C 1500 mah (all charged, I pulled one from SFS and dropped it in my 'dish sponge' P51 and she had plenty of zip)
-Stock 20 amp ESC

*I checked my TX twice to be certain I did not change the limit or inadvertently expo channel 3(ESC, motor)

What do you think I am missing?
SE of Disorder is offline Find More Posts by SE of Disorder
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
804 Posts
Prop on backwards, maybe?

Did this once with a three blade 800, flew just as you described...
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Today, 02:21 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sed8ed View Post
Here' some video I forgot upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SUmMr3Hfhg
Great to come home and have a beer watching this, I always enjoy your Vids, keep em coming.
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
Old Today, 04:53 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Apr 2014
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE of Disorder View Post
Hi all-
Have a problem that has me perplexed. Maidened my 800 mm P51 yesterday and all looked great except power. Once hand launched, it flew a perfect, stable path but no thrust. So little that it slowly crept into a tip stall to the ground. It was like running half throttle but it was WOT.
Holding the bird at WOT you can tell that it cannot hold it's own weight.
Here are some points that I checked (some twice). I don't understand why it lacks gusto. I have other small birds in the size (and one is a P51) with almost identical motors. Same bats, prop size/pitch, and about the same weight- +/- 30 grams and they scoot along nicely. Here are some points and data:

-Stock motor 1300kv, grub screws tight
-2 blade 8.5 x 9 FMS
-All in weight w/out battery: 420 grams with drop tanks and no LG
-2S Turnigy 25-35C 1500 mah (all charged, I pulled one from SFS and dropped it in my 'dish sponge' P51 and she had plenty of zip)
-Stock 20 amp ESC

*I checked my TX twice to be certain I did not change the limit or inadvertently expo channel 3(ESC, motor)

What do you think I am missing?

Well I would check your prop and spinner tightness, I have same setup and had to put a washer n locking nut after the propeller before the spinner, also i use 3s and has plenty o speed, good luck
Rsurfer is offline Find More Posts by Rsurfer
Old Today, 09:01 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,406 Posts
Prop on backwards?
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:14 PM
United States, NC, Winterville
Joined Jun 2014
33 Posts
Thanks guys- I suspect it does have to do with the prop spinner/back plate. Prop was on correctly but I am using a dubro spinner and back plate. I think the little shaft adapter is acting like a bearing and spinning on the shaft.

Surfer- similar prob from what you mention. I am going to try it without the spinner and back plate. One quick flight should be the tell-all.
Bummer. My field is ROG grass turf so I cannot use the stock four blade set up since I have to belly it.
SE of Disorder is offline Find More Posts by SE of Disorder