HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2009, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
This is a high end helicopter radio and has lots of options so be sure and study the manual thoroughly before you set up your first helicopter. Don’t rush it or you may overlook something important.

Shouldn't be hard. I probably end up being confuse on gyro for a bit, on dx6i under 50 is rate and above head holding , usually start off on 80 and lower it until wag is gone, but on futaba its a bit different. Anyways I'm still waiting for the brown truck UPS
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:37 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Hey guys I hated waiting hours per hours waiting for my radio to be delivered. I even had to sleep durying the day for the time to go by faster. Anyways i got the radio delivered around 5 or 6pm. I was surprise, came in, in a small box. Once i opened up the box, i saw a shiny box with detail of the feature this radio have and such. Then i opened it up and wow, the radio looked so small. Especially the 2.4 antana on the trasnmitter. Anyways looked so awsome. then i compared to spektrum dx6i radio and wow, its almost the same size. I was very surprise how awsome my futaba 8fg looked. Antana is a bit smaller then my spektrum radio. This radio really made my spektrum dx6i look like crap, it kindof made my spektrum dx6i look like a toy remote. Anyways I plugged in the battery of the trasnmitter and turned it on. Wow, its so fancy. Beautiful build in lite it can even make it brighter. Anyways, i tried going through the settings but i couldn't. LOL, so i had to read part of the manual of browsing. Totally confuse for the first couple minutes (i lie 30min - 1 hr). I kindof hated, i didn't understand the pad thingy. Then it clicked in my mind and now i can go through almost all the settings. Now naming a model really got me there. It would have already named model. I couldn't change the name. Until i figured it out i gotta delete every letter i want to change first. Well guys, i went through the heli option and i tell you, it has extra grahpics and its so beauitful and so much more option well more settings then cheesy dx6i. Its already 2:29 a.m and going to sleep soon but I will be using this remote on my exi new heli that should come anytime today. I already messed around with the radio and servos. I installed the receiver to the servos of a crash helicopter. But I had to learn once again a computerized radio all over again. But it's been a faster process on this radio. When i first started learning how to configured my dx6i which was my first computer radio took me months. I didn't know each settings for and such. Now yes it did took me a bit on this radio but i got it. Now I really need to know how to configure the switches to make it active to dual rates and such. While I do building and setup on my new helicopter I would end up finding out how to do it. My new helicopter i am getting in few hours is a arf, but i still have to strip it a bit and add thread luck.

One great thing I like is it has smooth on the trottle/pitch stick. This radio is a great radio for airplane flyer too. You guys wanting to order the airplane version, just get the helicopter version, its availble now, and trottle stick is smoother then that annoying rachet. But u can add the rachet, its already there just needs to be adjusted to you're liking. I'm leaving at the way it is. Man there is alot of airplane/glider mixing settings and wow you guys wont be disapointed. I think this radio is to much for me. Yea right. Alot of settings are to advance for me that i need to look it up. But anyways today is another day. And hope I can get the heli built and setup for a maiden today. Good night guys!!
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:11 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Does this radio have the ability to assign the sticks to arbitrary channels? I read the manual and it looks like it can but the wording talked about virtual channels V1, V2, V3, V4 that have no servo outputs, not sure what that was supposed to mean.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:35 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
Does this radio have the ability to assign the sticks to arbitrary channels? I read the manual and it looks like it can but the wording talked about virtual channels V1, V2, V3, V4 that have no servo outputs, not sure what that was supposed to mean.
I don't know what you mean. You mean assign stick ch to a channal? Futaba is a great company but manual suck on this thing, I was confuse for the first hours to use the little pad. But i got it. There is a person that is from rcgroup and he is doing a review soon. He can tell you. I'm just doing basic setup. For aerobatic.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:23 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
I don't know what you mean. You mean assign stick ch to a channal? Futaba is a great company but manual suck on this thing, I was confuse for the first hours to use the little pad. But i got it. There is a person that is from rcgroup and he is doing a review soon. He can tell you. I'm just doing basic setup. For aerobatic.
By default,
Channel 1= aileron
Channel 2= elevator
Channel 3= throttle
Channel 4= rudder

On my existing 7C, I cannot change that. On the higher end Futaba radios you can. Can you change this on the 8FG?
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:46 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
This is a high end helicopter radio and has lots of options so be sure and study the manual thoroughly before you set up your first helicopter. Donít rush it or you may overlook something important.

basically the important part is discussed on helicopter basic setting pocedure page 37. And its really basic really. Once you got basic going then you can mess around with the more advance stuff if you want. But its a must when setting up for more advance like idle up and such. Actually spektrum dx6i can relate to the basic seting up part for heli on the manual. Gyro is a bit different but its ok. My new exi helicopter look sexy with the R6008HS 8-Channel Receiver . It was really easier to have the receiver against the outside frame. Then inside because the lay out of the antana. It seem better outside. But hell the receiver is expose outside of the frame and a crash can miss up the receiver. The problem is the antana have to be straight one will be making a 90 degree from the other antana. Inside the frame is not safe doing that because antana will be tooooooo close to the brushless motor and this one magnet is soo strong. On manual says the antana wire from receiver must be straight, one must be straight other 90 degree. Once I'm done testing, i'll tranfer the radio system to my nitro thunder tiger raptor. I wish i had a working cheap airplane to use it on and test out the distance. But I don't, my airplanes and my other helicopter to expensive. For now i'm testing on my 450 then my Hanger 9 26cc Funtana 100x. Also I have not went through software lock up on my radio.
Last edited by jcervantes11; Nov 05, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 01:19 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
On my existing 7C, I cannot change that. On the higher end Futaba radios you can. Can you change this on the 8FG?
Yes, its in the function menu. Assign any control to any channel.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Nov 06, 2009, 05:10 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,347 Posts
8FGH - Incredable Radio

The 8FG has a menu that allows you to assign any function or channel to any stick, slider control, control knob, trim button, or switch. Itís really incredable.

I also have a 7C-2.4 and there is a day and knight difference in the programming capability and other features. The 7C is very good for the price and is quick and easy to setup. It all depends on what you need.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Nov 06, 2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: 8FGH - Incredable Radio
Old Nov 06, 2009, 05:56 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
jcervantes. You need to move around your electronics. Put the ESC up front, under the battery. Put the receiver inside the frame with the antenna's running out the back. Running them next to the motor and ESC is asking for trouble. Those receivers are 139 bucks. Protection inside the frame is high priority. And, I would move things even if it is just for testing..
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Last edited by Greybird; Nov 06, 2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 11:38 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
The 8FG has a menu that allows you to assign any function or channel to any stick, slider control, control knob, trim button, or switch. Itís really incredable.

I also have a 7C-2.4 and there is a day and knight difference in the programming capability and other features. The 7C is very good for the price and is quick and easy to setup. It all depends on what you need.

I thought it was the case but as someone stated the manual is not very clear. I think I am sold.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 04:56 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,347 Posts
There is a nice write up of the 8FG in the latest issue of Model Airplane News (Jan 2010).
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:43 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Hey, I checked one of these out at my LHS. The gimbals are not anything like the 12 channel BB gimbals. Kind of disappointing. Now, I guess I don't feel so bad about my 10chg.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 03:44 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
Hey, I checked one of these out at my LHS. The gimbals are not anything like the 12 channel BB gimbals. Kind of disappointing. Now, I guess I don't feel so bad about my 10chg.
I don't sweat it about the gimbals. Really not to important and it just work as fine. It does feel like the gimbals of my spektrum radio. Guys I was having issue with my xmhobbies g401b on this radio, i swap out and i setup the telebee gyro and it worked. I have two of that g401b but its some what not compatible. Crazy eh? Hey greybird have you went trough the manual of 8fg?
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:11 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
I have gone throught the manual. Most is similar to the 10C. Swash mix is not on the 10C. The 10C has 7 point pitch and throttle curves. The 8FG comes with a better, and bigger battery. The 10C has nicer graphics and screen. The 8 has the memory card feature, better gimbals. They both have so many mixes, I'll never figure them all out. The high speed feature of both is great. I can notice a difference. I would buy a 10C again. I just like the looks of it.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:37 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
I have gone throught the manual. Most is similar to the 10C. Swash mix is not on the 10C. The 10C has 7 point pitch and throttle curves. The 8FG comes with a better, and bigger battery. The 10C has nicer graphics and screen. The 8 has the memory card feature, better gimbals. They both have so many mixes, I'll never figure them all out. The high speed feature of both is great. I can notice a difference. I would buy a 10C again. I just like the looks of it.
Why have 10c? Its alot more, 8fg is cheaper. It has tons of settings we wont even use. The way it look, I think it look like a high tech (not hitec) radio "Looks like WALL-E". 10c is a older technology, 8fg is the latiest one from futaba. 8fg you can do 3 easy payment. Send off first the first payment of 150's something and its shipped next day. Theres also a 40 dollar discount which i received with latiest catalog from tower. Awsome. what put me down is xmhobbies g401b gyro do not work. And this radio has too much timer,
and none of them is a clock.