HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:05 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangephoner View Post
What are the best 2200 mah batterys to get for the t-28? Best place to buy also?
For the price these are very hard to beat. They are in stock and local.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-w-t-conn.html

They fit very well and the CG is spot on. Dont be fooled in to higher discharge C packs, these packs are very well made and are more then capable for the stock power system.
dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dstewart51; Feb 23, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:07 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
What are the best 2200 mah batterys to get for the t-28? Best place to buy also?
Get Zippy Compact 3S 2700mAh 35C from HobbyKing.

I get now a clocked 23min Flight Time with the NTM-3536-910KV and a average speed of 14m/s (which is 31mph) - and that's with the entire FPV Equipment - Total Takeoff Weight of 1.283kg (or 2.82lbs).
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:11 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,734 Posts
the reason i recommended higher C packs is for future use as well. if you stick with stock then 25C are fine. but once you decide to upgrade to bigger motors and esc, 25C will make your system heat up a lot depending on motor and prop choice. if i had known any better when i started out i would have gotten batts that have a future with non-stock as well.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
510 Posts
Prop upgrade for float conversion

I have been told that in order to use floats, I'd have to upgrade the prop. The only problem is, no one can tell me which one. Does anyone know which one I need? Still running the stock motor. Thank you in advance.
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:23 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,993 Posts
If your gonna be around for a while, I suggest these. Yes, they are not cheap. But a $100 investment for 2 is all you'll ever need. Charge at hi amps in 10 minutes and last forever.

I too did cheap lipos too. Had many. Better bang for the buck IMO.

http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...-LG335-2200-3S

Quote:
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:59 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Robj, you should know better...

Quote:
Of course I expected that Danny, I only have about 2000 flights on my T-28 although I don't fly it as much as I use to.
OK then, so you have 2000 flights on the T28.
This only means that you should really know better than to give the advise that you dish out.

Tripple checking is a great idea, providing you actually know how to spot a problem.
A novice can hardly be expected to recognize what can later become a problem that will cause a crash.

As for flying in tight places full of obstacles, again it is a case that with your 2000 flights you've forgotten that a novice will have a much harder time negotiating the obstacles.

Bottom line is that the majority of people don't have 2000 flights on a particular model , perhaps) and sadly most novices will end up a first flight with a planed that waws not checked by an experienced pilot with the sour feelings that comes when you prang a nice new plane.

Even a stable and fun plane like the T28 needs enough altitude to pull out of a loop, especially if in a dive with full throttle, a person with 2000 fights will know that and put the plane high enough, a novice may even go into that loop unintentionally and/or too low.

Sadly novices dont come with 2000 flights, they need to start and a prang in the first flight or two is not something that will help them in the hobby.

Once again, I am sure that you are a great pilot but not everyone is so, most of us mere mortals need a helping hand when getting started.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:07 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,842 Posts
Oh you gonna crash it .. Fix it .. Crash it again ..fix it .. And one day you can fly ...
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:24 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danike_42 View Post
Thanks Arne,
I just might try the floats off of my Flyzone Beaver.. you can pick up a set of those for around $15.
Floats look cool on the T-28. Don't tell anybody, but I had done a great sin. I fly from snow, more than half of the year. And grass and rough ground the rest.
I have put an extra gear mounting plate near the leading edge of the wing. And mounted my fiber glass skis on them, making the T-28 a taildragger.
Will test it on Monday. I am working making it steerable too. Because of the conditions we fly in here up North, trikes causes lot of problems. Trikes are best on hard surface. We also put larger wheels on the model on the short season without snow.
I am not the first in our club, who have done this, and it looks like it works fine.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:39 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
In this season of the year, with cold weather, and lot of snow. It's more easy to fly lighter models. They float on the top of the hard frozen snow. Many use floats too. It's hard climate here but we still want to fly. Now it's clear calm ice cold days. With the cold creeping in from Sibir i Russia. Problem is to keep the batteries warm over time.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Last edited by ArneHu; Feb 23, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:02 AM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,685 Posts
Anyone got some tips for mounting an 808 cam on the Trojan? I want to be able to mount it without damaging the foam. I have the D lens so was thinking it would be nice to mount on the horizontal stab to get the side of the plane in view. Any tips on mounting?
Realms is offline Find More Posts by Realms
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:01 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
OK then, so you have 2000 flights on the T28.
This only means that you should really know better than to give the advise that you dish out.

Tripple checking is a great idea, providing you actually know how to spot a problem.
A novice can hardly be expected to recognize what can later become a problem that will cause a crash.

As for flying in tight places full of obstacles, again it is a case that with your 2000 flights you've forgotten that a novice will have a much harder time negotiating the obstacles.

Bottom line is that the majority of people don't have 2000 flights on a particular model , perhaps) and sadly most novices will end up a first flight with a planed that waws not checked by an experienced pilot with the sour feelings that comes when you prang a nice new plane.

Even a stable and fun plane like the T28 needs enough altitude to pull out of a loop, especially if in a dive with full throttle, a person with 2000 fights will know that and put the plane high enough, a novice may even go into that loop unintentionally and/or too low.

Sadly novices dont come with 2000 flights, they need to start and a prang in the first flight or two is not something that will help them in the hobby.

Once again, I am sure that you are a great pilot but not everyone is so, most of us mere mortals need a helping hand when getting started.

Brgds,

Danny
Forrest for the trees Danny. I like everyone started with a first flight.

I give people more credit than you do, but.........

nvm
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:23 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,354 Posts
so far the best batteries i have found that are a pretty cheap price AND work great are gens ace! i love mine. strongest batteries i have to date.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:08 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
495 Posts
Those Hyperion battery's above look great for a real Hot Rod build. If you need to draw > 40 amps those look like a good choice.

Im a big fan of the Gens Ace (not the Eco series) too. And just to a slightly lesser extent the Sky Lipo packs. Its just a pita the ones you want are almost never in stock.

Keep hearing way too many complain about the Zippys.

The HobbyPeople packs are surprisingly good. Not just from my experience by several who I fly with love them. They just last and keep performing well. Its nice they are local and in stock. I picked up a set of 4, 2200's when they where on sale for $10/pack a few months back.

All battery's regardless of price will fade and fail eventually. So for me, the goal is to find a battery that will perform the job your asking of it (discharge C with some head room) with out costing too much. The stock PZ Power 480 and E-Flight 30 Amp ESC will never stress an honestly rated 20C 2200mAh pack (44 Amps continuous discharge). Even with the the E-Flight Power 10 or the Turnigy G10 your well under the C rating. Once you bump up to a Power 15 or bigger (not the PZ Power 15 as its really closer to a Power 10) they you will want to spend more $ for a 30/35C 2200mAh pack.

When I fly I use all 4 of my pack's in rotation and immediately get them on the charger after a flight. 4 packs is just enough to keep me going with out having to wait for a pack to charge. I use a Hitec X2-400 and charge 2 packs at 2.2 Amps (1C). So for me Id rather have 4 packs for the price of that single Hyperion listed above.
dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dstewart51; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
244 Posts
Ill look in to all those batterys. Thank you. One thing tho. I got one of those battery buzzers that was set to 3.7v. My battery only has about 10 flights on it, when I trottle all the way up for little bit my cell 1 drops to 3.64. Even 1 minute into flight. If I stay below 1/2 throttle its fine the whole flight. After the flight the cells are at about 3.85v. Is my battery bad?
orangephoner is offline Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,354 Posts
the g- force in green package also work great. 2200 mah. i have had bad results with the nano tech g- force 2600 mah for some reason. big pita since i got 5 after the green ones were sooooo good. bummer. just a heads up.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd