HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:41 PM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Mast divider -- where do I buy a pair?

Hi ALL!

Anyone know where I can buy a pair of "mast dividers" (see p.32 of AMYA's Model Yachting magazine Issue# 138 )?

No sellers came up in Google results, so I'm hoping someone "in the know" here might be able to point me in the right direction.

You use mast dividers to check whether your mast is vertical (perpendicular to the deck) when rigging it up. I'd rather buy a pair than spend my time making one that might not even be accurate.

Any help/info would be much appreciated. Thx much in advance!

Tze Lei
tlei123 is offline Find More Posts by tlei123
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:31 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,969 Posts
I had a set many years ago, but were made by the guy who built the boat. All they are is two pieces of stock, hinged through a pin, that have equal length legs. Probably hard to find pre made, because lots of guys will lay the boat on it's side and measure from the table to the masthead, then flip the boat over and measure again. The two sides must be equal.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:36 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
896 Posts
there's an easier way---just buy a folding wood ruler. it has two useful
functions, 1) folded in a "v" shape you can check the side to side set of your mast.
2) folded in a "L" shape you can check the fore and aft set, just using it as a
"square" . Dave's method is more accurate, but pondside this can be easier.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Thx, Dave, thorsail! Good ideas.
tlei123 is offline Find More Posts by tlei123