HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,837 Posts
Discussion
Canopy or Nose Cone

Would you rather have a slope plane that had a canopy or a nose cone? I'm thinking of a twisty wing 60" plane with a nice shapely fuse.

Nose cone: You couldn't use TTTGU with a nose cone but you could have another "canopy" that sits over the wing that you could make go up. I think the nose cone makes the front end stronger. There is less area to "pot". You can't have antenna coming out of the fuse in the nose are so you need a 2.4ghz friendly front end.

Canopy: If designed right you can use TTTGU. You can have "whiskers" if needed for 2.4ghz, lighter than a nose cone. Possibly not as strong as a nose cone.

What do you think?
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:56 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
For a twisty wing I prefer a canopy. But for a standard type plane I prefer a nose cone. Seems that installing the wingeron/pitcheron hardware is easier when you have a canopy for better access. But, if you want a TTGU, maybe a very large (ala Contender) canopy is a bit too big. The Shredder has a nice sized opening for the canopy to be used as a TTGU. I've got a Xica that I have planning on building one of these days, and on that I was thinking of a split rudder to use as a speed brake. I've never seen a Kestrel in person, but I believe that plane has a nose come with a dedicated speed brake. So bottom line is, I guess, that if you design it one way or the other, either could be great!
BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,837 Posts
You lose interior space 2x the thickness of the fuse skin. If the fuse was made slightly wider one could have the same interior space at the cost of a wider fuse, but we are only talking about 1/4" max.

I'd like to make the fuse so TTTGU will actuate a spoiler that blends perfectly into the top of the fuse. The addition of an inset into the fuse will actually make it stronger in that area and the actuation area can be reinforced with both Kevlar and carbon. That's what I'm thinking anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
294 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but what is this tttgu you speak of?
trub is offline Find More Posts by trub
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:53 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,837 Posts
That would be "the thing that goes up" or another name would be a canopy brake where your canopy is hinged at the front and goes up to become an air brake.

You can do a search on RCG slope and find it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:28 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
. I've never seen a Kestrel in person, but I believe that plane has a nose come with a dedicated speed brake. So bottom line is, I guess, that if you design it one way or the other, either could be great!
It looks like the Kestral's nose cone extended well underneath and behind the LE to give access to the pitcheron hardware (I believe it was a pitcheron with no rudder).

This is a bottom view:

bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Nose cone seems to be a bit heavier-duty.

If I was going to build a nose cone-equipped plane I'd pay special attention to the "fit" so the nose cone can't climb up over the edge of the fuselage. A standard thing to is to "pot" the nose cone with a blob of epoxy and cabosil to make the nose cone stop at precisely the right spot.

I fly 72Mhz so no whiskers.

I saw Dave Reese's Kestrelfly at the HigginsFest and it had pretty jaw-dropping performance.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavoss View Post
That would be "the thing that goes up" or another name would be a canopy brake where your canopy is hinged at the front and goes up to become an air brake.

You can do a search on RCG slope and find it.
Thanks, I have never been able to find useful info from searching
trub is offline Find More Posts by trub
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:49 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,482 Posts
here ya go
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610280
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:32 PM
On the Go Fly List
United States, CA, Concord
Joined Dec 2009
550 Posts
I find that a nose cone is easy to remove to access an on/off switch. It's easy to change the color of a nose cone as well and they don't fly off in a crash...not that that will happen to you.

The TWF Rodent hybrid has a nose cone and the turtle deck that typically covers the wing top could be used as an airbrake since the wing attaches through the midpoint of the fuse. Lots of room to put the servos at or near the CG and with the long nose it balanced out without any additional nose weight.

So a nose cone and canopy is my vote.

Adam
agarchitect is offline Find More Posts by agarchitect