HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:56 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Habu with Guardian test flights

Today was a perfect day for flying my Habu with a new Guardian installation. Wind was variable (down the runway, up the runway, cross winds) and the wind speed went from 8- 15 mph. I flew six packs through it. No master gain slider or knob. All pot gains set to 50%. It flew perfectly. Landings were a breeze (excuse the pun) in either 2D or 3D mode. Heading hold was on in both modes. I found I preferred 3D mode for flying and landing.

Below is a 2 minute video:
9-9-12 Habu with Guardian (2 min 22 sec)
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 10, 2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Add video link
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Mar 2009
216 Posts
Sort by topic ?

This thread contains a huge amount of useful information, but with 122 pages and 1800+ posts, it's pretty intimidating for a newcomer. Thanks to the folks who are familiar enough to reply with a post saying something like, "Read post #952."

Looking back in hindsight, it would have been good to have specific threads for specific aspects of the Guardian.

Would it be feasible even now to start several new Guardian 2D/3D threads, each with a new title depicting such things as, "Setups for nubies", "Advanced setups", "3d flying", "2D flying", "2 aileron servos", 2 elevator servos", "Questions for ET", Posts by ET", etc. Then new posts could be made in the thread that best fitted their title. Perhaps even cut and paste some of our own posts from the current thread over into a specific thread ?

Maybe only the moderator can do something like this. BillPa ? The Guardian is certainly here to stay and as more people use them the current thread will only grow larger and more difficult to learn from.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Last edited by otrcman; Sep 09, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otrcman View Post
This thread contains a huge amount of useful information, but with 122 pages and 1800+ posts, it's pretty intimidating for a newcomer. Thanks to the folks who are familiar enough to reply with a post saying something like, "Read post #952."

Looking back in hindsight, it would have been good to have specific threads for specific aspects of the Guardian.

Would it be feasible even now to start several new Guardian 2D/3D threads, each with a new title depicting such things as, "Setups for nubies", "Advanced setups", "3d flying", "2D flying", "2 aileron servos", 2 elevator servos", "Questions for ET", Posts by ET", etc. Then new posts could be made in the thread that best fitted their title. Perhaps even cut and paste some of our own posts from the current thread over into a specific thread ?

Maybe only the moderator can do something like this. BillPa ? The Guardian is certainly here to stay and as more people use them the current thread will only grow larger and more difficult to learn from.

Dick
Dick,

This is normal for a new product thread that started with beta tests and has carried on after the product introduction. One thing in this thread that is missing is a "thread boss" who reserved the first few posts for links to valuable posts inside the ever growing thread. Being "thread boss" is a payless job.

That said, you can always start a specific topic Guardian thread. You don't need to ask, just do it.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:39 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Jul 2006
110 Posts
availability?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where the Guardian is in stock at the moment?

Thank you,

Mike.
miksterr is offline Find More Posts by miksterr
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:57 AM
Left the trainer phase
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Værløse
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
There are so many posts here, maybe this has been answered...

I have changed my Fyetech 30A to the 2D/3D Guardian. The Guardian has many advantages, but I have found one difference of functionality annoying in one particular setting:

My P-47 needs some down elevator when I apply flaps, in order not to climb and stall. The Fyetech always aims at level flight in 2D mode, so the down elevator doesn't affect it. However, the Guardian seems to enterpret the down elevator as "wanting to dive", which means it forces the plane down when I apply the flaps. By programming my transmitter not to apply down elevator with flaps when 2D is on I have overcome this problem, but is there any other way this can be accomplished in the Guardian itself?

Regards
Bodolf
Bodolf is offline Find More Posts by Bodolf
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
50 Posts
Guardian in Super Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1960 View Post
I plan to use a Guardian on my Super Cub 25e as well and will be interested in your set-up and expeiences with it. Please post details!! Where did you mount it? Do you have the cockpit kit? Thanks!
I had installed most of the cockpit kit. For now I removed the seats and "controls" and moved the Rx into the rear of the cockpit. I made a plexiglass plate and mounted the Guardian and the Futaba Rx on the plate with 3M mounting tape and fastened the plate to the cabin floor with Velcro. This positioned the Guardian almost directly on the CG. After reading about some of the very Cub handling of the ARF I decided it would be a good test-bed for the Guardian. I hope to test fly on 9/11 if the weather is reasonable. I will report set up and outcome.
Jim
JDougherty, Erie is offline Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Last edited by JDougherty, Erie; Sep 10, 2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
50 Posts
Elevator mix with Flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodolf View Post

I have changed my Fyetech 30A to the 2D/3D Guardian. The Guardian has many advantages, but I have found one difference of functionality annoying in one particular setting:

My P-47 needs some down elevator when I apply flaps, in order not to climb and stall. The Fyetech always aims at level flight in 2D mode, so the down elevator doesn't affect it. However, the Guardian seems to enterpret the down elevator as "wanting to dive", which means it forces the plane down when I apply the flaps. By programming my transmitter not to apply down elevator with flaps when 2D is on I have overcome this problem, but is there any other way this can be accomplished in the Guardian itself?

Regards
Bodolf
This is the same question I posed. What is the correct setting? Can the Guardian ignore the elevator mixed input and maintain level flight? It should resist pitch up when flaps are deployed, since they are not run through the Guardian, but the elevator is "fly-by-wire" throught the Guardian and could be interpreted as a command angle. ???
Jim
JDougherty, Erie is offline Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:20 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodolf View Post

Regards
Bodolf
Bodoff,

The guardian is doing what it is supposed to do. Activating the flaps with the sticks centered should prevent ballooning. Therefore, turning off the flap to elevator mix is taking advantage of the Guardian capabilities.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:15 AM
Left the trainer phase
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
Dear Prof100,

that makes sense. That's why I program the Tx not to do flap-elevator mix when I activate 2D, but only do the mix when I turn the Guardian off. I just thought there might be an easier way to handle this problem, like being able to turn of "angle command" for the elevator so that it becomes a simple levelling gyro in that axis.

Maybe a function to ask EagleTree for? :-)

Regards
Bodolf
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
You may have to add another mix to take out the mix when in 2D mode.
My recommendation is to fly and land in 3D with heading hold off, your going to fly the sticks and it will feel more natural. That's my opinion. With 3D heading hold off (rate mode), your mixes will function and you have to still tweek the amount of elevator.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:41 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where the Guardian is in stock at the moment?

Thank you,

Mike.
Check all these links. If Im' missing one, guys let me know
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html

BTW, flew the P47 foamie in 10mph+ winds this morning. Guardian is really helping stability. I have a low and high rate gain. I'm using high rate for landings and slow passes when it's windy and flying normally in low rate. If the winds are calm, I can turn the gyro off cause it does not need it.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougherty, Erie View Post
I had installed most of the cockpit kit. For now I removed the seats and "controls" and moved the Rx into the rear of the cockpit. I made a plexiglass plate and mounted the Guardian and the Futaba Rx on the plate with 3M mounting tape and fastened the plate to the cabin floor with Velcro. This positioned the Guardian almost directly on the CG. After reading about some of the very Cub handling of the ARF I decided it would be a good test-bed for the Guardian. I hope to test fly on 9/11 if the weather is reasonable. I will report set up and outcome.
Jim
Great ! I have the cockpit kit and lights and thought the only wat to get close to the CG with the Guardian was to remove the rear or maybe both seats. I am using the Spektrum Rx mounted in the rear of the plane. I have several flts and take-offs are a handful still.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:29 AM
Left the trainer phase
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
My recommendation is to fly and land in 3D with heading hold off, your going to fly the sticks and it will feel more natural. That's my opinion. With 3D heading hold off (rate mode), your mixes will function and you have to still tweek the amount of elevator.
That sounds interesting. I'll certainly try that next time!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Good tip Melnic, I did not realize I could keep the mixes I had before if I just fly in 3D rate mode....(which is all I use)
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
Penrose, CO
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
I too have had frustrations with the USB connection. I broke down and ordered a cable from Eagle Tree. It arrived today and it works like a charm. With the cable installed, the PC software is great and I wish I had used it earlier. Would have prevented a crash on Sunday, but that is another story. I'm going to transfer the Guardian unit from my busted eMiniStick to my Global J-3 Cub which I will use as a test bed. After I'm comfortable with its operation I will transfer it to a Stinger.
marlowec is offline Find More Posts by marlowec