HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:28 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416 View Post
I think we have concluded that with the exception of a star on the side of of plane it looks nothing like "your" scheme. (I am also pretty sure there have been stars on planes for good while now )

anyways, i think I might actually buy one of these, i didn't like the looks ofr the 4site too much but still wanted a nice 3d micro - so this thing is going to fill that void perfectly.
Ya I don't see how someone could consider that paint a rippoff, pretty sure there have been stars on planes before. if it was an exact copy maybe, but they are not that similar.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
I'll take that as a complement on my scheme also
Well, I think you'd have a hard time claiming any real damages over the similar design, so you are right in just taking it as a complement. The alternative is they use a completely different scheme and then you wouldn't be able to tell you friends your scheme was so good it was used by 2 planes.
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakscott View Post
Well, I think you'd have a hard time claiming any real damages over the similar design, so you are right in just taking it as a complement. The alternative is they use a completely different scheme and then you wouldn't be able to tell you friends your scheme was so good it was used by 2 planes.
yup, 2 planes. 5 by the end of the year, at least 10 by this time next year. fun times.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,166 Posts
I guess the naysayers didnt notice that perhaps this offering in a little more maneuverable that the 4site. Brushless would be great, but current production direction wont alow for a flyer that performed like the one in the vid.. the weight/size would be prohibitive in such small spaces.
Im having great fun flying my ($79.00) 4site indoors with the new TP 160 batteries. Now if they can release the $119 version of this extra without the charger and weak batteries...
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:22 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
I think the nicest thing about this plane is the fact that they have already planned the replacement airframe for $55:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLU1070

This could be good news for people who are looking for transplant for their electronic from other planes as well... I truly hope it does come with the motor mount though, because the Extra 300 seem different than the 4-Site (and also stronger). That would be cool. More expensive than a Dynex, but available in any hobby shops.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
314 Posts
replacement airframe for $55.99 listed in parts. might be an option instead of pnp if u got the guts.
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:27 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft punk View Post
replacement airframe for $55.99 listed in parts. might be an option instead of pnp if u got the guts.
^^ what he said
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:28 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
314 Posts
beatn to the punch,damn
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
@David aka Dribbe:

One reason why people don't like brushed motors is the fact they don't last long (brushless seem to last forever). The original brushed motor seem to last a bit longer than any other motors we install after. My question is: Do they get some kind of break-in in the factory? I'm suspecting it could simply be the fact that the airplanes are tested for a little bit with motor running in low power, before they are shipped to us. On the other side, when we replace a motor, we simply just install it, and fly (usually at WOT, since we already know how to fly the plane).

So if those motors see any kind of testing in the factory, this would mean that for sure, we should do a little break-in on replacement before we run them WOT. Any idea?

Bonus question: Will we be able to carry the Extra in a little box like all our other UMs??
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:38 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Bonus question: Will we be able to carry the Extra in a little box like all our other UMs??
would have to... they need a box to get it to point of purchase, may as well pop a handle on it.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:47 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
would have to... they need a box to get it to point of purchase, may as well pop a handle on it.
But what about after you have spent the hour assembly time on it..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
I worry about airplanes that take 1 hour to put together.... Quite often, they do not fit in the original box after assembly. At $55.99 for a frame, that would come with a carrying box, I would go for the Extra over the Dynex for sure. As I said, that box alone, for me, as a decent value. It's so nice to stack them for storage, throw them in the trunk when driving, and be ready to fly in now time. If after the 1 hour assembly, it doesn't fit in the box anymore, then the Dynex is still the best deal to receive old electronic from our poor beated UMs...

The original 4-Site F3P (or 250) box was only 2 inch thick.... Trust me, after assembly, the only way that 4-Site could fit in the box, is after a VERY serious crash! . The UM 4-Site, that came after, is great because you can carry it everywhere and it's well protected. I love those boxes!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:55 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Very cool. I don't have an indoor venue to fly in, but if I did I think I'd have to get one. Love the milled foam, nicely done!

Regarding the complaints about it not being brushless, don't forget that the Beast is double the weight of this Extra and nearly double the price. I have no doubt that had they offered the Extra at 170 bucks with a brushless, everyone would be complaining about the price
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Very cool. I don't have an indoor venue to fly in, but if I did I think I'd have to get one. Love the milled foam, nicely done!

Regarding the complaints about it not being brushless, don't forget that the Beast is double the weight of this Extra and nearly double the price. I have no doubt that had they offered the Extra at 170 bucks with a brushless, everyone would be complaining about the price
Where are you seeing it at $85.00 on HH it's $160.00 or I'm reading it wrong.. But free shipping...

The BNF UM 4-site is only $130.00 and comes with a 4 port charger.. And TWO wings..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Oct 21, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:14 PM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
and why would a brushless cause the price to be higher? brushless motors aren't expensive and their ESC's are less expensive than brushed esc's anymore. course if you have a huge surplus stock of brushed motors and controlers it would make sense to use the brushed motors.... from a manufacturing standpoint.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus