HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 01:58 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,068 Posts
Discussion
Easy Built Waco N Conversion

I hadn't built a small scale model in ages and decided this biplane from Easy Built looked interesting to convert to RC:
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/pd05.htm

I don't like the trike gear layout so I built mine as a tail dragger, similar to other variants of the Waco biplane designs.

My model uses a Rimfire 150 motor with a 250 mah battery pack. the radio is a Spektrum 4 channel with nano servos (REM controls). All up weight is around 5 ounces. I reinforced the fuselage with sheet balsa for the RC installation, replaced the tail surfaces with 3/32" sheet versions, and added shear webs to the upper wing spars for strength. The CG location shown on the plans is wrong, the correct CG is almost 1/2" further forward. the model is unstable at the location shown on the plans. The covering is tissue and dope with acrylic paint for color.

The Waco flies great in light winds. ROGs and wheel landings are no problem, it flies at a very scale-like speed.

Sorry I don't have any build photos, I threw it together in 4 evenings and just flew it this morning. My time for building is limited, I get impatient and just throw things together without taking pictures. I think this is a good kit for RC conversion if anyone else wants to give it a try.

Steve
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
to remove ads between posts