HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
Discussion
Blunt Section for PopWing/TekSumo

Greetings Fellow Flyers!!!

I'd like to start off this thread, first of all, by introducing myself, and second of all, by introducing the piece of kit that I am working on...

My name is Ryan Greever, aka Greevedogg, and I'm a rookie pilot at best. I'm just getting into fpv, and I mainly fly multirotors so far. I am currently dabbling with fixed wing aircraft and making my own stuff, so here goes...

Without further adieu...
Here's my first attempt on a blunt section for the TekSumo/PopWing:
greevedogg is online now Find More Posts by greevedogg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
All credit and inspiration goes to fpvmonkey for his creation of the monkeyblunt! If his monkeyblunt were available for purchase, I would have bought one instead of trying to design my own! I have no intentions of stepping on anyone's bananas or stealing anyone's business. I do not plan to sell these, necessarily, or to make a profit on these. I am only looking to help out other pilots that are desperately waiting for more monkeyblunts to come to market!

That being said, let's open this up to helping me improve on this basic design, so together as a group, we can create a blunt section that is versatile, strong, light, and available!

THIS IS ONLY A PROTOTYPE! This blunt section has no name, I designed it in a 3D modeling program, based around the MB design, and then sent it off to a laser cutter to be made. In it's current state, I already see a few changes that I am going to make.

1. This is designed for a FPV board camera only. I have no desire to record the flights with my Mobius or a GoPro. Maybe in the future, but the idea behind this blunt section is strictly FPV. (I do plan on making a wider blunt section that will house a GoPro right next to the board cam, and maybe another variation that will accommodate a Mobuis...)

2. If you notice, there are four holes drilled as close to the CoG as possible...That is for a Naze32, which I plan on using as a flight controller on this bad boy.

3. This blunt section is just wide enough to fit (2) 2200mah 3s batteries side by side running in parallel.

4. This prototype is just fit together, nothing glued yet, no weight reduction holes on the side, no nuthin'! I think I am already planning on making a few changes to it before I slap it on the wing.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions...I'm all for hearing what you guys have to say!
Thanks!
Last edited by greevedogg; Oct 18, 2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
THIS WILL BE THE UPDATE POST...

------------Nov. 14, 2014------------
Version 3.0 is available for purchase!
You can find it here:
http://hangarcats.com/index.php?main...products_id=14

A HUGE THANKS goes out to Jim Wagoner @ JTech Laser for making this vision a reality!

------------Nov. 9, 2014------------
Version 2.0 teaser video here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=53

Version 2.0 specs:
80mm(width)
290mm(length)
48mm(height)
195.4g with delrin wingips
108g without wingtips

Anti-vibration mount for Mobius ActionCam up top
28mm x 28mm fpv board cam right up front
Velcro tie down strap holes for multiple battery configurations
Holes for a 30.5mm x 30.5mm flight controller (Naze32, Flip32, cc3d, etc...) pretty much centered over CoG
Last edited by greevedogg; Nov 14, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:01 PM
Australia, TAS, Deal Island
Joined Feb 2014
693 Posts
GD, looking good. A couple of thoughts:
If you begin by making it wide enough for a GOPRO, even if you don't wish to use one, it's ready to be modded by those that do.
If you do widen it for a GoPro, don't forget to allow a bit for the AV out plugs on the side. This would solve issue of having FPV cam and recording cam. Latency on a wing isn't as much of an issue as with small multi rotors.
If you do want to run both, then more useful to run a small pan/tilt servo cam for fpv which could sit up behind the go pro.
What thoughts do you have for a hatch?
crankster is online now Find More Posts by crankster
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
If I made one with a GoPro and a board cam side by side, it would be just over 100mm wide. I'm kinda working on that now. Also want to do one with a board cam and mobius side by side. I'm not exactly sure I am ready to outfit one with pan and tilt, but I think that could be easily achieved.

I might make a design that is just wide enough to fit a GoPro (and have access to the cables) where you can outfit it with GoPro only, or with Mobius/board cam combo..that might be an idea...

In terms of a hatch, I don't think I'll have one, just an open bay. Maybe dollar tree foam? Idk...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:04 AM
Joined Feb 2014
693 Posts
I think that for the time being, a width that allows the go pro (with cable) will be the best compromise without having to produce more than one kit.

The small fatshark P/T only require a flat surface and a cut out the size of a 9g servo. I was thinking of a simple flat piece of ply just behind the board cam bulkhead. That should still provide sufficient room to to fit the battery and a 35mm FC.
One question, why the rounded sections in front of the board cam? I noticed that MB does that too. No idea why?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:41 AM
RC TERMINATOR
Joined Oct 2014
84 Posts
So cool the graffiti on the aircraft!
DX188 is offline Find More Posts by DX188
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:34 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined May 2014
34 Posts
On my Popwing, i had built a little skid for the front to keep the wing from digging into the dirt on landing and ripping the foam. I'd suggest adding two skids on the side pieces to raise the front a tad. Have a look at most of the popular bigger wings to see what i mean, like the Ritewing Zephyr 2
ChickenWingFPV is online now Find More Posts by ChickenWingFPV
Old Oct 29, 2014, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
Thanks for the tip, ChickenWing! I'm working on revision #2 currently... I made it not stick out the front as much, and it's now 80mm wide, so it is capable of holding a board cam and mobius side by side, with an option of having the board cam in the middle, and the mobius on top... I'll post up a rendered image here in a few.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:05 PM
Joined May 2014
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greevedogg View Post
Thanks for the tip, ChickenWing! I'm working on revision #2 currently... I made it not stick out the front as much, and it's now 80mm wide, so it is capable of holding a board cam and mobius side by side, with an option of having the board cam in the middle, and the mobius on top... I'll post up a rendered image here in a few.
That sounds awesome! Wide would be cool to have room to put a flight controller and osd in there, plus bigger batteries. I look forward to the pics!
Last edited by ChickenWingFPV; Oct 29, 2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:58 PM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
Here's a rendering...There's room for (2) 2200mah batteries , depending on if CoG works out. And notice the 30.5 by 30.5 holes for a Naze32 fc pretty much right over the CoG...

I still might make those 'skids'....
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:38 AM
Joined May 2014
34 Posts
Nice! I really like adding the holes for the naze. Makes mounting so much easier. Also, maybe some 5mm holes around the mobius to put some vibration-isolation balls for jello-free video?

Would that front plate the camera's sitting on be removable? Or, would you just slide the batteries under it?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:32 AM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
Yeah, I was contemplating making anti-vibration mounts... Note taken...
And yes, the top piece will be removable.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:28 PM
Joined Feb 2014
693 Posts
GD, this is coming along nicely
One concern is the front lower edge. On landing in grass or a little bit steeply, this will be the first point of contact and likely to catch and trip the model.
If you dropped the side 'wings' down below this edge, they would form skids to possibly minimise this ???
Old Oct 30, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2014
97 Posts
Yes, crankster, I agree! And I am currently redesigning the sides of the section to extend below and form the skids! Thanks for your input! And making the anti-jello mobius attachment!

Updated rendering tonight!