SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

GoPro Hero4

New Cams Announced from GoPro

Splash

Say Hello to the New GoPros

GoPro has the most well known and used action cameras on the planet. They have built an empire, but are not resting on the laurels of past success. Their designers and engineers are constantly working to improve and bring us the best footage possible from these tiny little boxes. On October 5th, there will be 3 new cameras to choose from.

Hero4 Black

The Hero4 Black is the new Flagship. Where the Hero 3+ Shoots 4K resolution at 15fps, the Hero4 now shoots 4K at the industry standard and way more usable 30fps. You can also record 2.5K resolution at 50fps and 1080, 960, and 720P at 120fps. It also features a 2X faster processor and shoots 12MP photos at up to 30fps and costs $499.99.

Learn more about the GoPro Hero4 Black here.

Hero4 Silver

The Silver edition is the mid tier camera and features a built in touch screen display which is pretty cool for framing your shots and viewing your footage. It's a lot like the Hero4, but does not shoot at 4K resolution. It does shoot 1080P at 60fps and 720P at 120fps and costs $399.99.

Learn more about the GoPro Hero4 Silver here.

Hero

Rounding out the new line up is the GoPro Hero. This is a budget friendly camera only costing $129.99. It shoots 1080P at 30fps and 720P at 60fps as well as 5MP photos at up to 5fps.

Learn more about the GoPro Hero here.

Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:48 PM
no auto-level allowed!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2013
390 Posts
The new GoPro hero base model looks very appealing.
unitedheavy is offline Find More Posts by unitedheavy
Old Oct 01, 2014, 02:23 AM
India, TN, MAS
Joined Aug 2013
263 Posts
does the base model offer live video out and how good is it when compared to sj4000.
rcniteshrc is online now Find More Posts by rcniteshrc
Old Oct 01, 2014, 02:45 AM
Joined Sep 2014
32 Posts
I would also like to know if the base model supports FPV. Does anyone know?
daneelgiskard is offline Find More Posts by daneelgiskard
Old Oct 01, 2014, 05:10 AM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniteshrc View Post
does the base model offer live video out and how good is it when compared to sj4000.
LOL.

1. Customer support.

2. look at 1.
cr8tive_leo is offline Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Oct 01, 2014, 06:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,933 Posts
Why do they keep making better electronics but still have such poor quality lenses? They should either have quick-change lenses or make a high quality zoom lens (optical zoom). For FPV it would be really nice to have a way to make the zoom controlled by the RC transmitter.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 01, 2014, 11:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,211 Posts
"high quality zoom lens"... contradiction of terms
Aren't they expensive enough ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 01, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2014
32 Posts
I've asked customer support regarding the FPV capabilities of the base model. I will let you know if they answer. If someone knows anything about this in the meantime, it would be very appreciated.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 12:44 PM
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Sep 2014
260 Posts
geez a hero 4 already . They are really trying to make peoples newly bought go pros worthless. my hero3 black is less then 6 months old and already 2 models obsolete now. Might as well give it away when the hero5 comes out next month. lol. Maybe a hero6 for christmas time? They are trying out the iphone tactic. improve very little ,release new ones very fast.
WadzofQuadz is online now Find More Posts by WadzofQuadz
Old Oct 01, 2014, 01:26 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,211 Posts
See the bright side, now you can sell me your obsolete stuff for half price
Fast! when they announce gp5, the price will be 1/4 at most
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:34 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,919 Posts
Keep in mind, GoPro's normal release cycle is a new set of Hero models once a year just in time
to keep them ahead of any possible competition and meet the holiday rush.
This last year was special, because the Hero3 released this time last year had serious hardware issues
(huge battery sucker, lock-ups and overheating on the Black, compounded by issues with
the recommended Sandisk cards) and so forth.
The Hero3+ was released mid cycle to fix the issues with the Hero3. I happen to know that GoPro
dumped thousands of discounted/free Hero3's into some people's hands when the 3+ came out,
just to get em out of their stock.
Unfortunately they also blew the 3+ release with an improperly focused lens
on every camera in the first three production cycles, which they
tried to fix quietly after we beat them up badly about it here and the gpusers forum.

The H4 is back on their normal release cycle. Hopefully it won't come out with any big flaws.
I still believe in the GoPro products.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2014, 12:25 AM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Sep 2014
8 Posts
I wish they could keep their top their product at a constant price and still keep it up to date. Like apple does with the new iPhones. $500 for 4K is still a super good price.
Jam6618 is offline Find More Posts by Jam6618
Old Oct 02, 2014, 05:12 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
I've looked at the Go Pro and went with a JVC GC-AX2, smaller, the ADIXXION is waterproof out of the box to a depth of five meters (16.4 feet)the optional plastic housing makes it good to 40m (130ft) and the lens is on the end rather than the front with more features than offered with the Go Pro....

http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029293
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Oct 11, 2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 05:47 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

Unfortunately they also blew the 3+ release with an improperly focused lens
on every camera in the first three production cycles, which they
tried to fix quietly after we beat them up badly about it here and the gpusers forum.

The H4 is back on their normal release cycle. Hopefully it won't come out with any big flaws.

GoPro is getting a very bad reputation after all the 3+ problems and problems with customer service. They should have recalled all the cameras 3+ from the first. The 4 will have to be out for a long time with no bad reports before I would ever consider purchasing one.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:36 AM
Joined Sep 2014
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneelgiskard View Post
I've asked customer support regarding the FPV capabilities of the base model. I will let you know if they answer. If someone knows anything about this in the meantime, it would be very appreciated.
I got feedback from GoPro support. Apparently they can't tell yet:
"Regarding the FPV and the new HERO camera we have not tested the camera for that purpose, but as we approach the launch date there should be more information available in our website. "

Hmmm ...