HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:23 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
It's finally happened, I've gone mad...

Heya all! The other day I actually got off work early and I had the whole afternoon to fiddle with my planes. I haven't flown since Dec31 due to the untimely demise of my refurbished SS--I merely chucked all the parts in my trunk and didn't look at them again until a few days ago. I had mostly written off flying for the winter as it seems fate and mother nature have been conspiring against me at every turn. So on to the story.

I had no success with my twin ezipper, so I had back-burnered it until I thought of something to do with it. Here is one idea I came up with.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=167214

I was sort of joking. Sort of.

Check this out.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:27 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Part 2

There you see the product of about three hours of work. I had to find some way to mount my GB again as it had stripped out the screw-holes in the motor when the SS augered in. Hmm.. bigger screws oughta do it! Ok, then I cobbled together a mounting plate and tested the electronics. They worked! Happy day, happy day. Hmmm. No SS wing, and I didn't feel like driving to the LHS for carbon fiber rods and brass tubing. What else can I use for a wing? Then it hit me.

So I ripped out the motors and electronics out of the wing, but left the servos and Rx in there. Here are some more pics of the madness that ensued that day.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:28 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Part 3

I really need a bigger apartment...
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:28 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
oops forgot the pic

oops
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:30 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
last part for now

Disregard the other SS wing on the porch; the aluminum joiner tubes in the middle did not survive a tree attack intact.

So I had it all cobbled together, and it looked pretty good, and then I noticed this:
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:33 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
A grand total of 6 damaged wires. Must have happened that fateful day my SS took a swan dive from 100'. I'm lucky I didn't fry anything when I tested it earlier. The pic was taken after I had fiddled with it to see how bad it was actually damaged.

Long story short, I didn't have the tools necessary for a repair on hand so it will have to wait until I can take it into work. I'll try to fix it during my lunch hour. And then we shall see if this thing flies. And then immediately after work I'll be heading to the LHS to get another SS kit. This will be my third one.

More pics and maiden details to follow. Take it easy everyone and thanks for reading my thread.

-Mike
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:42 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
p.s. My g/f is seeing these pics for the first time... hehe

"Is THAT my dining room table???"

lol gotta love her, and I was lucky I was able to clean it up before she got home...
Old Jan 12, 2004, 04:36 AM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Well its a good thing you caught that.Now I wanna see that thing fly you have a name for it yet?
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:28 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
I was thinking of the "Zipper Stick". Or I could call it the "Lawn Dart" as that is what it will most likely resemble. haha

Have to work late today, no maiden, grrr....

-Mike
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:19 AM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Hey Mikey
haha lawndart!! If it works can you get some inflights to show us itll be interesting to see this in the air
Mike,
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:02 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
hm.........you know, I've got some part of different planes in the shop........who knows? This could be the start of a new forum.....maybe "strange planes".

I'm going to have to look more closely at the plane parts in the shop. Need to keep the guys at the field on their toes!
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:12 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Very creative Mike! Looking forward to the flight report .

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider