HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:18 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
799 Posts
Discussion
getting tail trim right

my new sky cruiser turns to right even after trimming to left go in a line when controled to turn left or is turning right till it dips and crash. How can I test tail trim on the ground. And best way to put noise back togather. Hope to get it working wind was under 5 mph this time and it would fly and then start turning.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Them Old time Simulators.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,995 Posts
Check visually that the tail surfaces and the rudder are set straight. If the rudder is set over to the right then adjust the pushrod until it's straight with the trim on the transmitter in the centre. Check that there are no twists in the wings.

Once you are in the air you need to be prepared to make adjustments on the trims, that's a normal part of setting up a plane.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
If you have the benefit of an experienced pilot where you fly, ask them to trim you up properly. You say it turns to the right. Is that banks and rolls to the right or the tail turns the plane to the right. A rudder normally has lesser input when the plane is cruising at flying speed (even on a 3D plane which has huge rudder) and is more noticeable when at take off or landing speed.
Check radio trims are set at middle, including ailerons, elevator and rudder, readjust pushrods so that all control surfaces are flat or in line with the corresponding surface. You may need to adjust slightly with radio trim. Ideally radio trim should never be used in the actual setting up of the control surfaces if you are using pushrods with adjustable clevises, and only used for trimming whilst flying in order to find correct alignment. Also if your receiver has enough channels, always have ailerons separate for individual trimming.
Hope this helps
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:21 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,995 Posts
daz,

I don't think the (Cox?) Sky Cruiser has ailerons?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:15 AM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Ok, sounds like he's turning by rudder and not using elevator with it. I'm not familiar with that model. Lets hear some more from the original poster.
Thanks
Daz
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:46 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,384 Posts
Could be too that the motor angle is way off. Too much under power for the rudder to compensate for.

If you can try a glide test. Give it a good firm toss with the motor off, to see how it glides.
If it's pulling to the right you have a trim or structural problem. Like your control surfaces aren't level to the rest of the stabilizers or a twisted wing, or tail out of square to the wing. If it glides nice and straight, I'd say you got a motor angle problem.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:26 PM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Photos, we need photos, or video!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Apr 2013
799 Posts
It is a 3 channel plane, "I was not turning it, It was turning all the time, I had left trim all the way on control still went right. When I turned it left went it would fly soon as I stopped go back to turnning. Tail looked ok and not turned.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:29 AM
Joined Apr 2013
799 Posts
last time I crashed at wide open and broke front want should I use to fix and make it fly again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:38 AM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Are your wings straight in all directions? Do you have the same distance between wing tip and stabiliser tips? Is the tail fin straight?
Personally I'd start all over again, reset your radio trims, and reset the control rods and linkages. If you can, clamp the rudder to the fin so that it is straight, re fit the control rod and linkage with the servo set in the middle of its throw. Then confirm that the servo isn't creeping. You could have a faulty servo. Do you have a servo tester? If not get one they're only cheap but you can set the servo on dead centre and then adjust your rod.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:42 AM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
If its foam then use a foam safe glue. Either foam safe super glue more commonly known as CA (cyanoacrylate) but it HAS to be foam safe or it will melt. Or, use a foam safe contact adhesive. I don't know where you live so not sure what's available to you, but your model shop should be able to advise you.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2013
799 Posts
thanks live in murfreesboro tn
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadwight View Post
thanks live in murfreesboro tn
Sorry, is that in the USA? If so your local hobby store will be able to assess the damage and give best advice on how to repair it. You may find that they will repair it for you if its fairly simple at a small cost? My local store are really good like that, but I suppose it will depend on how you approach them and who deals with you.
Can you post some pics of the damage? Perhaps we can advise if you can get some good quality photos on here. You still haven't said what it's built from, foam, plastic, balsa etc?? Cancel that, just looked it up on Google.
Go to the hobby store and get either foam safe CA or a contact adhesive. Here in the UK we use a product called UHU POR. There may be others here but that's what I use. It's brilliant stuff, not sure if you can get it, or what the equivalent is over there.
If your foam is crushed you can restore its shape by pouring boiling water over the damaged foam, and it will reset itself to almost perfect. If there are several pieces that have cleanly broken off, use toothpicks or small cocktail sticks as strengtheners actually inside the foam, like a splint.
Get some photos on here for better advice.
Regards
Daz
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
OK ... this is a prime case of find a local club and get advise from other flyers who can have model in hand to assess. We on here have little info to go on and can wax all day this and that and not get it right.

Examples of what can cause this :

a) Rudder not aligned straight with fuselage line at centre stick.
b) Twisted fuselage after repairs / shipping canting fin / rudder to one side / angle / nose + motor no longer at factory designed alignment.
c) Too much motor thrust offset to right OR flyer using too much power (often right thrust is for cruise setting)
d) Transverse balance is off - ie more heavy one side than other causing model to bank and dig in a tip -> turns.
e) Badly installed links / servo so that lot of movement one way but little other.
f) Twisted wing ... similar to b)

The above are just some of the examples that affect in such manner.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jun 08, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Apr 2013
799 Posts
Ok after my champ flys an my gamma 370 fly ordered $50 .00 all in one new servo for cox from hobbytown where i got plane, son put in plan, power up check out rudder works fine no elevator movement at all. Take it all back to hobbytown power up plane to show owner elevator starts to work , Tell him first time it works, keep moving stops working and blinking he says must be bad servo leave here maybe we can take your old servo with missing gear and fix plane. now $158.00 now in plane never taken to sky yet.
RCG Plus Member