HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Horizon Hobby has stock now

My Glasair Sportsman was shipped today and is due on my front porch on Thursday. Can't wait to open the box!
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
If you read the entire thread, you would see that Dave from Horizon said that either a DX4e or a DX5e would work on this plane.......................that means it can probably be bound to any Spektrum TX. The VI programming is probably built into the RX as well as the AS3X. But, it looks like Dave edited his post that contained that information. There is no way I would buy this plane if it comes with a TX I have no use for.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
I can't find Dave's post where he implies that either the included DX4E or a DX5E could fly this plane, since they have the same number of switches. Did he delete it entirely?

As I mentioned before, I think you can ONLY fly this plane WITH the VI working, with the included DX4E. The DX5E has a switch for hi/lo rates, but since it is not a computer transmitter you can't change the function of this switch - to use to select a level of VI.

I have NO problem at all with the fact that the Glasair Sportsman comes with yet another special purpose transmitter, and I have a DX5E, DX6i and a DX8. My Firebird Stratos is already that way (you must use the included transmitter) so I am used to that. Sometimes it's kind of nice to just grab a plane and it's transmitter and go out and fly, without worrying about having everything set just right on a (one radio does it all) transmitter. Just my opinion.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:23 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I have NO problem at all with the fact that the Glasair Sportsman comes with yet another special purpose transmitter, and I have a DX5E, DX6i and a DX8. My Firebird Stratos is already that way (you must use the included transmitter) so I am used to that. Sometimes it's kind of nice to just grab a plane and it's transmitter and go out and fly, without worrying about having everything set just right on a (one radio does it all) transmitter. Just my opinion.
I'm with you on that fotoflyer....

I really like keeping my models habitually associated with a particular system...each one of my models has it's own radio. I'm a Soldier. I want something that's simple and works every time. I've no need for computer radios with all their fancy expo, mixes and all that. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you, but I'd rather just focus on flying because to me, ultimately, that's what it's all about !

My father taught me to fly on a single channel "Ace" pulse proportional system back in the mid to late seventies: http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/e...rol-system.htm I rapidly moved on to a whopping two channel system! That said, I'm quite capable of moving the sticks gently without expo, thank you very much.... Just one man's opinion...

As far as Dave mentioning the radios, it's on this thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1806593&page=4 posts number 56, and 63, I believe.

Regards,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Yes, I was thinking of the other thread. The GS can indeed be bound to other Spektrum TXs as the VI is contained in the RX. Unfortunately they didn't to this with the Firebird Stratos.

John, don't you find it a hassle to retrim your planes everytime you fly though? I recently bought a DX7s and couldn't be happier.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,061 Posts
I don't retrim my planes Chuck, that's the beauty of it; they each have their own dedicated Tx...!

I have a fairly small but active fleet, so the number of boxes is at a minimum. If I buy a new model, I buy a new system...heck, complete Tactic systems are barely more than the average recv'r...

The only trick is to bring the correct box with each model...

Anyway, back to the Glasair!

Cheers my friend,
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Can we combine this thread with the other Glasair thread?

Pleas read this thread below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post24055612
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:55 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
im thinking about upgrading to this from the champ. this seems like a huge step though especially in price because of other options like the stratos etc. but i do want to learn 4 channel. so basically i am pretty much new to this hobby.

all over the forum i see everyone who owns 4 channel planes (ailerons), they use dx6i tx or higher so they can use expo, dual rates and many other options that i have no idea what they do. to make the plane easier to fly.

so why would this 4 channel aileron plane come with a tx that doesnt have those options, to make the plane easier to fly for a new guy? that doesnt make sense to me.
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:08 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,061 Posts
The DX4e has dual rates (Hi-Lo) but not expo. Expo basically slows (retards, if you will) the amount of throw on the controls compared to the stick throws...if any of that makes sense. It lessens the amount the control surfaces move in relation to how much input you're giving it, to a point. Beyond a certain pre-programmed point, the surfaces will move their "true" rate, or 100%.

It's all very confusing to newer pilots, which is why I don't like it. Just learn on the stock DX4e that comes with the model and you can't go wrong. That way, you'll learn intuition and develop "feeling" in your thumbs. You'll "feel" the model better. Just be careful about how much stick throw you give it...

There's alot of passion and feelings both ways in regards to expo....me personally, I've never used it and I'm not going to use it...but that's just me. Your Glasair (should you purchase one) will fly just fine without all the fancy high-tech radios...and you'll have alot of fun to boot because you can concentrate on flying and not programming a silly radio which I think some guys really get a kick out of doing...not me. I like to fly....alot!

Regards,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:34 AM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just to clear up any confusion that still exists, the VI system in the Glasair is all part of the receiver. The transmitter is NOT a special tx, its a standard DX4e.
a DX5e can be used just as easily. The channel 5 will switch through the two VI modes and dual rates are preset same as the DX4e.
With any Spektrum computer radio, the only programming needed is to set dual rates so low rate is 70% for ail, elev and rudder and high rate is 100%. Again, channel 5 toggles between the VI modes.

Even is you do choose to fly it with a higher end TX, that is all the programming needed. No expo is needed (or wanted). The feel (tuning) of the airplane is part of the onboard VI and of course also part of the aerodynamics of the design of this model.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
When you say "the two VI modes" isn't that just on or off? If so, wouldn't it be more clear to say the switch turns VI on and off?

I have my Glasair in front of me here on the living room floor and I tested the operation of the switches. As far as I could tell, the left switch turned the VI on or off and the right switch just switched between 100% and 70% travel of the control surfaces. With left switch in the "off" position, I could not see any evidence of the VI doing anything, but of course, I could be wrong.

Also is there something important about setting the low rate to 70%? Why not 60% or 80%? Isn't low rate more or less a pilot preference?

One interesting thing I noticed is that with VI on, when I gave it aileron control, both the rudder and the elevator moved (a small amount) as well as the ailerons. But with me still holding the aileron stick, in just a second or two, the ailerons returned to neutral but the rudder and the elevator kept their positions until I let the stick go back to center. I assume that is exactly what an experienced pilot would do as well. Actually, my Stratos does the same thing.

Not a big deal, but the DX4e I got appears to be defective. With brand new fresh batteries, when I turn it on, the far right LED lights up green. Then almost instantly the green light goes off and the far left LED lights up in red and the transmitter starts beeping. I first used the batteries that were included, then installed a fresh set of AA batteries and measured the voltage across the battery pack with the transmitter on and off and the voltage was a strong 6.2 volts.

I was able to bind and operate the controls with the transmitter in this state, but I sure would not fly the plane like this. I will be calling Horizon Hobby tomorrow for a resolution of this problem.

But while the faulty DX4e is getting repaired or replaced I'll use my DX8. I bound my Glasair to my DX8 and that works fine.

Way too windy to fly yet, but as soon as we have a decent day here in Dallas, I'll maiden it. It is a gorgeous looking plane and no doubt it will be my favorite plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
Hi Guys,

Just to clear up any confusion that still exists, the VI system in the Glasair is all part of the receiver. The transmitter is NOT a special tx, its a standard DX4e.
a DX5e can be used just as easily. The channel 5 will switch through the two VI modes and dual rates are preset same as the DX4e.
With any Spektrum computer radio, the only programming needed is to set dual rates so low rate is 70% for ail, elev and rudder and high rate is 100%. Again, channel 5 toggles between the VI modes.

Even is you do choose to fly it with a higher end TX, that is all the programming needed. No expo is needed (or wanted). The feel (tuning) of the airplane is part of the onboard VI and of course also part of the aerodynamics of the design of this model.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:55 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Glasair owners can we see some pics?
nbaker is offline Find More Posts by nbaker
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:10 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
The DX4e has dual rates (Hi-Lo) but not expo.
DX4e has EXPO but it's fixed. .. so does the DX5e. Instructions on how to enable it can be found on page 10 of the Hyper-Taxi manual. I happen to have a downloadable PDF of it on page 2 of my attachments in my profile

What sucks is, if this is going to only be available with the DX4e, I'd be paying for something I already own

Hi, John
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:42 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,260 Posts
fotoflyer...

Can you tell me the diameter of the spinner at its widest part in the back?

also, would you be willing to post a pic of the prop adapter... I assume it's for a 4mm shaft and has a threaded hole in the front for the spinner screw like the Du-Bro spinners?
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaker View Post
Glasair owners can we see some pics?
Sure, I'll post some pictures later today. Any particulars areas of the plane you' would like close ups of?

I found out another feature of the VI that baffled me for a while - actually until I read the manual. As I mentioned earlier, the DX4e that I got is defective, so I bound my GS to my DX8. Couldn't sleep last night so got up and decided to play with the GS some more and learn more about what the VI does.

Then I remembered that I have a DX5e (from my Phoenix simulator) so why not use that rather than the DX8. No problem binding it but when I went to play with it I could NOT turn on the VI! Messed around with that for almost an hour, then finally read the manual where it says the VI will NOT come on until after you advance the throttle past the 25% position on the throttle stick. Strange, but I'll try it. Then in the process of firing up the prop, the plane (which was on a coffee table lurched ahead and cut a serious gash in my leg! Man, that hurt and blood was running down my leg. Got that cleaned up and bandaged, then tried to turn on the VI again. Sure enough, now it works!

But what is the point of having to turn on that powerful motor before the VI will work? Don't most people like to check their controls before energizing the prop? I like to defer checking out the motor until AFTER I have checked all the controls and when I have set the plane on the ground. I wonder what their reason is for requiring the throttle to be advanced before the VI can be turned on.

After playing with it some more, I still do not see any sign of VI activity when the left switch is set to off and the right switch is set to low rate. The only thing I can see is that the travel of the control surfaces is reduced to 70%.

Still WAY too windy for flying.