SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:49 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
I've been flying mine for about 2 weeks now and just started flipping it around, it flies fine for about a minute and a half then has barely enough power to hover. I have 4 stock batteries, two have 25+ flights on them and 2 have about 15, they didn't act this way when new but performance has gotten steadily worse, hope mine are not dying already. I suspect my the stock charger is at fault though and I my not be getting a full charge even after replacing the AA's with fresh ones, I will make an adapter for my normal lipo charger and see what happens.
The stock charger..at least mine was over charging my lipos. I really just used it to test anyhow but none the less it over charges. The stock charger for my 130x also over charges batteries. I use my celectra 4 port which seems to charge correctly and my ichargers for charging instead of the stock single port type chargers,
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:12 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,323 Posts
I noticed there are o-rings on the swashball linkages, but none on the blade grips and swash balls....I still had some o-rings from my head stiffening kit for the mCPX and used them..will test flight tomorrow.

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:30 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,440 Posts
Man.... This is the first heli in a looonnnnggggg time that I've really been considering. I dabbled in helis a few years ago and made it to FFF and nose/side-in hovering with my HMX Axe CP V1.000, but repairs got prohibitively expensive and I started flying planes instead. I acquired an mCX along the way and I'm at the limits of its capabilities by now... Not saying much, I know I'm now living in a dorm 2450 miles from home without a model in sight. The Nano CP X seems like a nice little indoor gnat to fly around over the long winter ahead, and something tells me it'll force my thumbs up to a whole new level of speed and precision.

Question: I'd be going the RTF route since I don't have a DSM2-capable transmitter (yet). I figure the stock DX4e is fine for just hovering and general fooling around, but it's obviously not a high-performance transmitter. If I were to start sniffing around really basic 3D (loops, rolls, inverted flight etc.), would I be very limited by the lack of programming and tweaking capabilities? In other words, where's the realistic cutoff point where a more capable radio starts to become a must?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Man.... This is the first heli in a looonnnnggggg time that I've really been considering. I dabbled in helis a few years ago and made it to FFF and nose/side-in hovering with my HMX Axe CP V1.000, but repairs got prohibitively expensive and I started flying planes instead. I acquired an mCX along the way and I'm at the limits of its capabilities by now... Not saying much, I know I'm now living in a dorm 2450 miles from home without a model in sight. The Nano CP X seems like a nice little indoor gnat to fly around over the long winter ahead, and something tells me it'll force my thumbs up to a whole new level of speed and precision.

Question: I'd be going the RTF route since I don't have a DSM2-capable transmitter (yet). I figure the stock DX4e is fine for just hovering and general fooling around, but it's obviously not a high-performance transmitter. If I were to start sniffing around really basic 3D (loops, rolls, inverted flight etc.), would I be very limited by the lack of programming and tweaking capabilities? In other words, where's the realistic cutoff point where a more capable radio starts to become a must?
Butane,
I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses, but my suggestion would be to save up for the dx6/7. You could probably do just fine with the RTF radio for a few months, but a good programmable radio will benefit all your flying.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:04 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:

Well I am just putting a Spektrum Module in my 8FG.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:10 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:

If anything, it is the other way round. The DX4e is optimized for high performance 3D. What you want is a programmable transmitter to tame the settings rather than the make them more aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Well I am just putting a Spektrum Module in my 8FG.
You cannot put a Spektrum module in a Futaba 8FG. Futaba has closed this loophole for Spektrum with their new transmitters. What you need is something like this.

http://www.hawk-rc.com/index.php?rou...roduct_id=1529

Here is a DIY method which you can do at your own risk

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556607
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:49 AM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
I've been flying mine for about 2 weeks now and just started flipping it around, it flies fine for about a minute and a half then has barely enough power to hover. I have 4 stock batteries, two have 25+ flights on them and 2 have about 15, they didn't act this way when new but performance has gotten steadily worse, hope mine are not dying already. I suspect my the stock charger is at fault though and I my not be getting a full charge even after replacing the AA's with fresh ones, I will make an adapter for my normal lipo charger and see what happens.
That's also a sign of the main motor going out.
I thought it was lipos too, but put in a brand new one with no change.
MAin motors are getting 40 to 100 flights on these from most people.
Mine's around 100 and it's life is now over
Cant wait for brushless from Dylan to get here
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I noticed there are o-rings on the swashball linkages, but none on the blade grips and swash balls....I still had some o-rings from my head stiffening kit for the mCPX and used them..will test flight tomorrow.

Be careful with the o-rings on the swash-plate links because they may be too thick and rub on the control arms of it...Check for clearance by turning the mains by hand...
PKM_Heliman is offline Find More Posts by PKM_Heliman
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
I'm using dx4e and it is kind of growing on me. I did change out the bind/throttle hold push button to a flat face type toggle. Discovered that to get throttle hold to work, I flip button back which actually closes the circuit during flight (nothing happens at that point), then when/if I want throttle hold I flip it towards me which opens circuit and get throttle hold immediately. Now I know why I was having trouble with TH on regular button (must be pressed and released).

I would just mention when starting out on this one it helps to have a little space, not sure how large your dorm room is but I had a little trouble starting out in hotel room. Once I had some front yard time and learned how much throttle and some of controls better I'm able to fly in open kitchen/living room or 2 car garage. Just now comfortable up over house in side yard, banking turns, etc. This guy is fast and likes some space but can also fly slow and fairly precise.

I intend to modify my 9x, supposedly it can take a spectrum module from dx4e or even the lower end 4 ch. tx (from night vapor plane) and get 6 ch. Want to keep dx4e for packing in checked bag on trips (keep heli in small case - carry on). dx4e does have removable sticks which can help prevent damage when traveling with it, also no screen to scratch or break, so from those points it makes some sense.

Quote:

jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Last edited by jpconard; Oct 08, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Check out this low speed BL by Dylan using a 150 mAh battery. Oh Yeah!
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....455791&page=22

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:22 AM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
That is the same setup I have on 7T. On 8t it really needs more than the stock battery
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeppley View Post
That's also a sign of the main motor going out.
I thought it was lipos too, but put in a brand new one with no change.
MAin motors are getting 40 to 100 flights on these from most people.
Mine's around 100 and it's life is now over
Cant wait for brushless from Dylan to get here
Man I really hope not, I just got it flying good.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2010
130 Posts
Here's a video of my RTF nano cpx. It's all stock out of the box with the dx4e on high rates.
Nano cpx RTF 3D (0 min 58 sec)
closeflyby is online now Find More Posts by closeflyby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My first quad!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Check out this low speed BL by Dylan using a 150 mAh battery. Oh Yeah!
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....455791&page=22

Bob
WOW!
where can we buy this conversion?
thanks
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:02 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
WOW!
where can we buy this conversion?
thanks
He doesnt have it for sell yet. He is waiting for oversky to make a new mount for the hp03s and is why I made my own
RCG Plus Member