HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
The Beta batch is sold out, sorry.
But thereīs light at the end of the tunnel: factory assembly will start in the last week of Nov., will probably hit the stores beginning of December. ETA will be announced within the next 2 weeks...

Regarding your Qs:
1. a new security feature of latest fw. AQ will not send out a PWM signal unless itīs armed. So the behavior you see is perfectly fine.

2. Adjust the endpoints on your transmitter. You donīt need to match the -/+ 700 precisely. Just make sure it is 0 when sticks are centered (except for throttle, of course) and the values are equally showing up at full deflection of the sticks. Doesnīt matter if itīs +/-800 , just needs to be above 700.

3. Dunno that receiver but both settings should work since AQ expects values greater than 20ms. Isnīt it mentioned in the manual somewhere?
Hi,
Thanks very much for time and answers.

There was a couple of things in the manual to do with frsky and various issues with sbus, but the forum posts it used to direct you to where out of date. They seem to of been removed in the recent update of the manual. . I have not seen anywhere where it says AQ is programmed to expect +20ms.Perhaps i just missed something
There is some other stuff here on rcgroups on that converter but it doesn't really make sense, people are saying the 21ms is kinda for 8 channels and the 28ms is for 12. Well i'm getting 16 channels out of it.! no jumper. AQ seems happy reporting 100% radio link.

One more question.I just recieved new aq boards. they shipped with r429 firmware. Should i update to latest, or is r429 considered more stable? I know that you recommended keeping to the latest, but was wondering if there was a reason they shipped with 429!

Thanks again, Tristan
whizz101 is offline Find More Posts by whizz101
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:13 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,307 Posts
Hi Tristan, ooops - I was wrong.

The info is here at the bottom:
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/config...ons/ppm-notes/
And hereīs the info on FrSky:
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/config...s/frsky-notes/
It says >27ms - so make sure you have it switched appropriately.

As for the latest fw: wait a while since weīre restructuring the download and will release a beta tagged v7.x soon. Itīll will incorporate latest changes of r433:
https://code.google.com/p/autoquad/source/list

Until then stay with r429. Itīs the most tested and confirmed version atm.

Norbert
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Hi Tristan, ooops - I was wrong.

The info is here at the bottom:
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/config...ons/ppm-notes/
And hereīs the info on FrSky:
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/config...s/frsky-notes/
It says >27ms - so make sure you have it switched appropriately.

As for the latest fw: wait a while since weīre restructuring the download and will release a beta tagged v7.x soon. Itīll will incorporate latest changes of r433:
https://code.google.com/p/autoquad/source/list

Norbert

Many thanks again, i will change it!

Thanks for pointing out the correct pages, i have read those pages but it was a while back and some how i missed them this time around, sorry, but thanks again.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 04:35 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Hi Tristan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz101 View Post
3. Another Radio question, I am using frsky X8R reciever. Then i am using a frsky sbus-cppm converter and going in on port 14.
On The sbus-cppm converter there is the option of adding a jumper to switch between 21ms/28ms. However i'm not sure which is which, jumper on or off. I think i need the 28ms, but is this jumped or un-jumped? I'm using it un-jumped at the moment and it seems to work fine.
I'm not sure about the converter, probably has to do with how many channels you want to send. 21ms should be enough for 8ch, 28ms could fit a couple more. It doesn't matter to the AQ itself (either setting will work), it's just a matter of how many channels will fit in the PPM data frame.

But, throw out the converter and just use the SBUS output directly to AQ! That's a much better setup, and you can have the full 16 channels. For the AQ6 you'll just need a simple inverter as described in our wiki (build one yourself from 3 components, or ~$10 online).

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Last edited by maximal; Nov 16, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:27 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,307 Posts
Here's a Quatos demonstration by AQ team member Menno.

AutoQuad - Quatos - X8 redudancy test (2 min 21 sec)

It can even "fly" with 3 motors off but then acts like a lame duck, making the altitude control difficult.
But at least you'll have a chance to bring it down in 1 piece...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:01 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Hi, I have a question about the CAN-communication. The conventional pwm- signal to the ESC is limited to 500 Hz.
In your wiki I read: The CAN bus is an 2-wire, 2 way differential communication bus. It will enable very fast communication without distortion.
How fast is very fast? Is it faster than the 500 Hz of the pwm signal?
TRC2000 is offline Find More Posts by TRC2000
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
Hi Tristan,

I'm not sure about the converter, probably has to do with how many channels you want to send. 21ms should be enough for 8ch, 28ms could fit a couple more. It doesn't matter to the AQ itself (either setting will work), it's just a matter of how many channels will fit in the PPM data frame.

But, throw out the converter and just use the SBUS output directly to AQ! That's a much better setup, and you can have the full 16 channels. For the AQ6 you'll just need a simple inverter as described in our wiki (build one yourself from 3 components, or ~$10 online).
-Max

Hi Max
Thanks for your advise. Funnily enough i originally did order an inverter, but the place i ordered it from took 2 weeks to tell me they didn't have stock. And then i was ordering from flydino and they stocked the ppm converter so figured it was a safe bet with AQ!
Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you can use more than 12 channels with AQ, so i guess the converter will do.

Thanks again
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Well after waiting days for the rain to stop, i finally got to maiden my AQ6 today. Unfortunately things did not go well. Although nothing was broken, so lucky in that respect.

She rose gracefully off the ground, super smooth. Then after about 5 seconds fell to the ground. Looked like one motor stopped. That sinking felling of knowing instead of flying...you got problems solve.

I tested the motors after the crash and all seemed ok. However since retuning home i strapped my craft down and did some motor testing with the props on. This has revealed a problem. I think this is what is known as losing sync, but I'm not sure as i have not had this problem before. I am using new TBS LongRange 400kvmotors, and TBS Long range ESC, sold together as a set.
When i do a few rapid changes in throttle then i can quite often get several motors to sort of stop for half a second before resuming normal speed. looks like they are loosing sync.
I find this strange as the esc and motors are sold together. Not only that, it seems like many people are using them without problem. With my other esc's there is the option of adjusting the timing to help with sync but not with these. Which leads me to thinking that it is an issue with AQ or at least my settings.

I have seen the ecs settings section in QGC. But i am a bit confused. Before i connect my AQ
there are 3 options for esc settings, arm, starting, max. Once i connect a forth appears, Min.
However, It appears that the min and starting do the same thing. I don't think that these settings are going to help with my sync issue, but as i said, lots' of people are using this combo of motor esc with out problem. Should i set up the esc setting's to match my transmitter output. For example i know that my tx is outputting 1030us for throttle on min, and yet i have my min setting in AQ at 975us.!

Any help or advise would be great. I would love to convert to es32 but alas i run on 6cell. Waiting for esc32 v3 is not an option as i am halfway through my BNUC and need to get it finished asap!

I have the Log from my maiden if it is of any use to anyone. I have looked at and all seems normalish from my understanding.

I am sorry to be asking for help again! I promise not never to ask the same question twice!

Tristan.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:17 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2000 View Post
Hi, I have a question about the CAN-communication. The conventional pwm- signal to the ESC is limited to 500 Hz.
In your wiki I read: The CAN bus is an 2-wire, 2 way differential communication bus. It will enable very fast communication without distortion.
How fast is very fast? Is it faster than the 500 Hz of the pwm signal?
With CAN bus "Bit rates up to 1 Mbit/s are possible at network lengths below 40 m." [1]. It is more like a serial protocol, so the frequency is not really applicable, plus it is more robust and very tolerant of errors on the line due to voltage fluctuations or whatever. It also allows use of a much higher resolution of control since it is not limited to the resolution of a typical RC PWM signal (we're using 2x the resolution which means 2x finer adjustment of motor output). Plus we can send other data on the same bus at the same time, for example telemetry data (V, A, rpm, temp, etc) from the ESCs.

Here's an "alpha" preview on a new feature I'm working on for the GCS. With CAN, the flight controller gets all this data over the same 2-wire connection as the motor control signals it is sending. Then it can pass it on to the GCS.

Name: esc-telemetry-widget.png
Views: 31
Size: 6.9 KB
Description:

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Last edited by maximal; Nov 19, 2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 04:23 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
It does sound like you are loosing sync.

I would suggest that you head over to our forum and post logs and description there. Not that many of us is looking here regularly.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz101 View Post
Well after waiting days for the rain to stop, i finally got to maiden my AQ6 today. Unfortunately things did not go well. Although nothing was broken, so lucky in that respect.

She rose gracefully off the ground, super smooth. Then after about 5 seconds fell to the ground. Looked like one motor stopped. That sinking felling of knowing instead of flying...you got problems solve.

I tested the motors after the crash and all seemed ok. However since retuning home i strapped my craft down and did some motor testing with the props on. This has revealed a problem. I think this is what is known as losing sync, but I'm not sure as i have not had this problem before. I am using new TBS LongRange 400kvmotors, and TBS Long range ESC, sold together as a set.
When i do a few rapid changes in throttle then i can quite often get several motors to sort of stop for half a second before resuming normal speed. looks like they are loosing sync.
I find this strange as the esc and motors are sold together. Not only that, it seems like many people are using them without problem. With my other esc's there is the option of adjusting the timing to help with sync but not with these. Which leads me to thinking that it is an issue with AQ or at least my settings.

I have seen the ecs settings section in QGC. But i am a bit confused. Before i connect my AQ
there are 3 options for esc settings, arm, starting, max. Once i connect a forth appears, Min.
However, It appears that the min and starting do the same thing. I don't think that these settings are going to help with my sync issue, but as i said, lots' of people are using this combo of motor esc with out problem. Should i set up the esc setting's to match my transmitter output. For example i know that my tx is outputting 1030us for throttle on min, and yet i have my min setting in AQ at 975us.!

Any help or advise would be great. I would love to convert to es32 but alas i run on 6cell. Waiting for esc32 v3 is not an option as i am halfway through my BNUC and need to get it finished asap!

I have the Log from my maiden if it is of any use to anyone. I have looked at and all seems normalish from my understanding.

I am sorry to be asking for help again! I promise not never to ask the same question twice!

Tristan.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:31 AM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
It does sound like you are loosing sync.

I would suggest that you head over to our forum and post logs and description there. Not that many of us is looking here regularly.

Thanks
Hi jussi,
Thanks for your advise. I will post on the AQ forum.

Also i was wondering if you received the AQ6 that i sent back to you because of problems with gps?

Thanks again. Tristan
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:28 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
With CAN bus "Bit rates up to 1 Mbit/s are possible at network lengths below 40 m." [1]. It is more like a serial protocol, so the frequency is not really applicable, plus it is more robust and very tolerant of errors on the line due to voltage fluctuations or whatever. It also allows use of a much higher resolution of control since it is not limited to the resolution of a typical RC PWM signal (we're using 2x the resolution which means 2x finer adjustment of motor output). Plus we can send other data on the same bus at the same time, for example telemetry data (V, A, rpm, temp, etc) from the ESCs.

Here's an "alpha" preview on a new feature I'm working on for the GCS. With CAN, the flight controller gets all this data over the same 2-wire connection as the motor control signals it is sending. Then it can pass it on to the GCS.

Attachment 7303247

-Max
This is a very cool feature.
Thanks for the explanation!
TRC2000 is offline Find More Posts by TRC2000