HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFB Aerowerks View Post
Don't forget that you can customize Ed's basic fuselage tube assembly as the core of your own design...
That's thinking outside of the... tube
Drone Driver is offline Find More Posts by Drone Driver
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
388 Posts
Ed,
Where do you get your carbon fiber plate (like the one you used on the Delta). You said Ebay, but what should I search for? Thus far I haven't had any luck.
Thanks
SquireM is offline Find More Posts by SquireM
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
61 Posts
Next one...

Guess what's on the project table now

Name: IMG_0754sm.jpg
Views: 277
Size: 105.4 KB
Description:

My OSD came in this week, so I'm excited to get this one done and hopefully in the air this weekend.
RevJVegas is offline Find More Posts by RevJVegas
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireM View Post
Ed,
Where do you get your carbon fiber plate (like the one you used on the Delta). You said Ebay, but what should I search for? Thus far I haven't had any luck.
Thanks
Search eBay for "carbon fiber sheet (or) panel" plus "2mm", or "3mm" and you should get some good returns.

Here is an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...item256f5901f5
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Next one...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess what's on the project table now
Could it be a Wally Wing?

I'd like to see the OSD in action. If you decide to fly at the nearby park/schoolyard, please post when.
Thanks, gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Ed, I was so glad I came upon your thread. I was thinking about building a Mud Duck like the one I had back in the 90s. I knew Tom back then and did his first build and fly video for him.
He gave me a kit as payment. I built it and flew it for years with an OS 90 in it.
But now that I see the way you are building using the same kind of foam but a different method, I'm all excited about building a noob.
Going out tomorrow and get the board. I've looked at all your vids and think you did a fantastic job of explaining how it all works.
My hats off to you.
Nice job.
Thanks,
Gordosoar.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
here is my first DTF. It is a pretty close copy of the old Sturdy Birdy. I made this for my son. AUW weight is 2 lbs with a 2200 and a Exceed 480. Flys awsome and under 15.00... Was wondering where everyone is finding the colored packing tape all I can find is clear...
Name: 2012-04-12 18.16.11.jpg
Views: 534
Size: 306.1 KB
Description:
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:20 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofish View Post
Could it be a Wally Wing?

I'd like to see the OSD in action. If you decide to fly at the nearby park/schoolyard, please post when.
Thanks, gofish
Will do.

I still have a bit to do, so if I make it out probably wouldn't be till Sunday...if weather permits.
RevJVegas is offline Find More Posts by RevJVegas
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
That's what I'm taking about! Hacking is highly encouraged. Do you have some planes built this way?
Ed,
I do but they were built with "glued box" construction before I discovered your videos. Your "folded tube" construction has some real advantages and I plan to build something with it after I get some $tree baseball-bat fuse variants out of my system...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116932
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J31968 View Post
here is my first DTF. It is a pretty close copy of the old Sturdy Birdy. I made this for my son. AUW weight is 2 lbs with a 2200 and a Exceed 480. Flys awsome and under 15.00... Was wondering where everyone is finding the colored packing tape all I can find is clear...
Attachment 4781969
Looks like my old ugly stick. Was always my favorite.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Went to DT today and the had 1 case in stock, bought the case 48 pcs.
I figure once the guys at the field see what I'm flying they will want some board and I wanted to make sure I had a good supply on hand.
Now I'm just waiting for the colored tape to come in that I ordered from tape brothers.

Ed, have you ever tried a triangle fues? Seem like it would be inherently stronger.
Also, what size props are you using with the 250 size motor ?
I'm really new to electric so I have to ask.
Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Gordosoar,

Good to hear, hope it's a hit with your flying posse. Can't beat the price and creativity factor.

I made one triangle fuse just to check it out and I found the inside space utilization to be not exactly what I needed for the design at hand, due to the triangular cross section. But I think it's a fine idea for rigidity and style. I've never been disappointed with the strength of a square fuselage, but I can't argue with the reality of geometry that a triangle is in fact stiffer. There are some guys in my YouTube crew who use triangles more: wbw40 and mrwest1960. Have a look at their creations for more ideas.

I'm actually naive to the "250 size" and that nomenclature for motors. I usually think of it in can size, kV, and overall grams of the motor for a rough benchmark, and watts for more precise comparisons. I can offer that I use 8x3.8 props a lot on 2826-10 1400kV 50g motors that are my workhorse powerplants for medium sized foamies. I used two of them with 8x4.5 props for my twin cargo dropper RC-69. For the same motor but in 2200kV I use 6x4, which is kind of the "industry standard" parkjet combo.

Hope that's help. Let me know if I didn't hit the right answer.

Ed
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFB Aerowerks View Post
Ed,
I do but they were built with "glued box" construction before I discovered your videos. Your "folded tube" construction has some real advantages and I plan to build something with it after I get some $tree baseball-bat fuse variants out of my system...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116932
This is awesome and very creative! How did you get that multiple-entendre with the hot chick, in a swing, baseball bat, etc.? Hard to argue with a $1 off the shelf tapered fuselage. Have fun with the foamboard too and I'll look out for your creations.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:20 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Gordosoar,

Good to hear, hope it's a hit with your flying posse. Can't beat the price and creativity factor.

I made one triangle fuse just to check it out and I found the inside space utilization to be not exactly what I needed for the design at hand, due to the triangular cross section. But I think it's a fine idea for rigidity and style. I've never been disappointed with the strength of a square fuselage, but I can't argue with the reality of geometry that a triangle is in fact stiffer. There are some guys in my YouTube crew who use triangles more: wbw40 and mrwest1960. Have a look at their creations for more ideas.

I'm actually naive to the "250 size" and that nomenclature for motors. I usually think of it in can size, kV, and overall grams of the motor for a rough benchmark, and watts for more precise comparisons. I can offer that I use 8x3.8 props a lot on 2826-10 1400kV 50g motors that are my workhorse powerplants for medium sized foamies. I used two of them with 8x4.5 props for my twin cargo dropper RC-69. For the same motor but in 2200kV I use 6x4, which is kind of the "industry standard" parkjet combo.

Hope that's help. Let me know if I didn't hit the right answer.

Ed
Hi Ed,
Sorry for the confusion, I'm so new to this E stuff that I know just enough to be dangerous. When I said 250 I ment 250 watts of power.
When I look at a motor, I look for 100 watts of power per pound of plane.
That the way it was explained to me to keep it simple.
I'm all about simple.
I ordered an emax 240 watt last night but I have another one on the shelf, so I'm starting on a plane as soon as I get my taxes out of the way. Thank god for Turbotax.
I'm still not sure about all the Kv stuff but I'm reading up on it.
If you don't mind I'll keep posting what I'm up to and some pics when I get to that point.
Oh, have you ever tried making ribs for the inside of the wing to shape the air foil instead of the stack of planks?
We did that in the Mud Duck wing but that was compleatly open under cambered. Later Tom covered the bottom also, but only half way back.
Later,
G.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Ed, do you have any small plane, like 12-14" wing, like a mini, plans?
Or have you just made anything like that?
G.