SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:38 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Discussion
SuperFly TeensieFly..

Nothing too crazy, just one of our newest toys..

Span: 12"
Motor: 10g 2000kv w/ 5x3 prop
Battery: 2S 360mah
ESC: 6A
Battery: 2S 360
RX: AR6300
Servos: 2.5/5g servos
AUW: 2.5oz

SuperFly RC TeensieFly (5 min 22 sec)

I'm sure Murman won't mind, here is his bird running 3S..

TeensieFly from www.Superflyrc.com (2 min 20 sec)
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
...I'm sure Murman won't mind, here is his bird running 3S..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRMnXyTDYCM
I don't mind at all. I love this little wing. In fact, there is some interest within my little flying group of ordering several of these and using them for full contact combat. I think it would be awesome to see 5 or 6 TeensieFlys buzzing around trying to knock each other out of the sky!
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:37 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
You guys need to do that in a gym..
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:46 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
Murman:

Were you running stock/suggested hardware other than the 3s lipo?
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:18 PM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
Yes, it's the stock setup with 3s batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
OK, so I know that I can be a little slow at times. I make up for it by not being fast, so it balances out.

Anyways, I ordered both the Superfly and the Teensiefly, along with some other hardware to include the itty bitty HK 4-ch OrangeRx:
http://www.superflyrc.com/OrangeRx-R...er-_p_141.html

I have been mulling over the "Micro Molex 3 Pin conectors with 1.25mm Spacing" connector issue, having never heard of it before. Lots of searches, blind alleys, until I think I have found the "RC answer":
Futaba Servo Connector Micro Plug
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXGVD6&P=K

Used in some non-Horizon Hobby ultra micro planes.

Then, I looked at both sets of wing halves (I am building them simultaneously, taking my time to let the Welder's set between each glue step), comparing the Superfly to the Teensiefly. Hmm, 12" wing span on the Teensie. Hmm, that is smaller than my PZ/HZ ultra-micro T-28, Night Vapor, and Champ.

I then read about a guy who preferred the Futaba micro plugs, as they took up less space than the JSTs in ultra-micros.

Then it hit me!:
Remember to take out the garbage in the morning.

But, right after that:
Oh, sweet baby zombie Xenu, The TeensieFly is an ultra-micro!

Yeah, and Soylent Green is people. Who knew?

Definitely gonna fly the Superfly first to get the hang of deltas, but I can see a wind-tolerant TeensieFly as my wind-tolerant ultra-micro plane.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post

Definitely gonna fly the Superfly first to get the hang of deltas, but I can see a wind-tolerant TeensieFly as my wind-tolerant ultra-micro plane.
I'd leave an open invite for any other ultra-micro out there to fly in heavier winds than the Teensie can.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
Howdy:

Cutting foam for servos, using the little outrunner that came with the kit and the larger prop slot (larger than the one needed for the inrunner option).

Anyone else notice that the depth of the T-pro SG50/HXT500 5 gram little blue servos are almost exactly the depth of the foam where the servos are supposed to go?

I wonder if I ought to step back and use smaller servos. I prefer metal gear servos (loves me some MG90 9 gram servos) and thought the SG90/HXT500s would be marginal, but adequate for this application. But, perhaps, they are too much servo.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Howdy:

Cutting foam for servos, using the little outrunner that came with the kit and the larger prop slot (larger than the one needed for the inrunner option).

Anyone else notice that the depth of the T-pro SG50/HXT500 5 gram little blue servos are almost exactly the depth of the foam where the servos are supposed to go?

I wonder if I ought to step back and use smaller servos. I prefer metal gear servos (loves me some MG90 9 gram servos) and thought the SG90/HXT500s would be marginal, but adequate for this application. But, perhaps, they are too much servo.
I noticed that.

You won't have any issues with the HXT500's. The foam in the bottom of the pocket only serves to provide, well, a bottom of the pocket. Reference the page in the instructions that illustrate installing the servos and cutting the servo pockets with a Dremel and router attachment. We show the depth of the cutting bit is just a bit more shallow than the servo itself to prevent it from coming through the bottom. The servo can sit above the wingline just a touch, with no issues.

The TeensieFly that was built to illustrate the instructions, using HXT500's, is still flying a year and many, many crashes later.

5g servos are borderline too much servo for the application.

The TeensieFly is small enough that simply going from 2S to 3S makes a HUGE difference in the power-off performance of the airplane.
Old May 01, 2012, 02:11 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
http://www.myspace.com/halfastii/vid...eacam/37424109
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old May 01, 2012, 11:46 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Nice Paul!
Old May 03, 2012, 01:19 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I I finely found the video... I loved the twin it was one of those beater planes that would do anything you wanted including touch and go's off the kick board wall and ground..

It was brushed and that was the problem the GWS 50 motors would just burn up.. Im thinking the same thing with twin mico brusless motors would be a kick in the but..

How hard would it be to come up with one with some spare epp for the the motor mounts.. It was using 2 gws 3x2 props.. so the mounts were about 1.75 to 2 inches tall they sat between the vertical fins

Im thinking it was 12 to 14 inch span..
Old May 03, 2012, 07:21 AM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi View Post
I

I think I remember seeing one at one of my FB's house. I'll check with him to see if he still has it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
That twin finnaly became a mico version i had beat it up and fiannly desided that a single johnson motor would be the way to go final wing span was 9.5 inches and ran a single pusher with a 4x2 prop.. and a 2s lipo i flew it for another year like that it was very fast but a bit heavy with the heavy lipos and motor. (keep in mind this was in 2005)
Old May 04, 2012, 11:38 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi View Post
How hard would it be to come up with one with some spare epp for the the motor mounts.. It was using 2 gws 3x2 props.. so the mounts were about 1.75 to 2 inches tall they sat between the vertical fins

It wouldn't be hard at all.