SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
71 Posts
Help!
Need help choosing FPV Goggles?

Hi guys,

I would like to order some FPV goggles so I need your advice.

I have:

FrSky 2.4 Ghz DF Combo (Turngiy 9XR)
Orange Open LRS 1W with receiver
2.4 Ghz 1W VTX/VRX

So I have both frequencies for radio, also i'm going to use SJ4000 for recording and FPV as it as FPV out.

If needed I could also order a 5.8 ghz VTX/VRX if that's better. So what do you guys suggest except for the new Fatshark HD?

So what do you suggest?

I thank you very much in advance!
AlbEagle
AlbEagle is offline Find More Posts by AlbEagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:31 PM
Southern Az
Joined May 2010
76 Posts
I think you're going to have a difficult time (to say the very least) using 2.4GHz control with 2.4GHz video. It might prove to be impossible although there are some people claiming to do it. I highly recommend switching video bands.

As far as goggles go, if you don't mind being tethered to the ground station, the Fatshark base goggles worked awesome for me and they had adjustable lens positioning to accommodate your eyes. You can go with any Fatshark goggles and expect great quality though.

There's also the cheaper DIY option such as the Quanum kit from Hobbyking. I use these with a 5.8GHz repeater to make my set wireless. Same can be done with any set of goggles. I use 1.3GHz video on my plane, then I feed the signal into a small 5.8GHz Tx on the ground to make my goggles wireless.
Aries321 is offline Find More Posts by Aries321
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries321 View Post
I think you're going to have a difficult time (to say the very least) using 2.4GHz control with 2.4GHz video. It might prove to be impossible although there are some people claiming to do it. I highly recommend switching video bands.

As far as goggles go, if you don't mind being tethered to the ground station, the Fatshark base goggles worked awesome for me and they had adjustable lens positioning to accommodate your eyes. You can go with any Fatshark goggles and expect great quality though.

There's also the cheaper DIY option such as the Quanum kit from Hobbyking. I use these with a 5.8GHz repeater to make my set wireless. Same can be done with any set of goggles. I use 1.3GHz video on my plane, then I feed the signal into a small 5.8GHz Tx on the ground to make my goggles wireless.
Aries 321 thank you for your reply, I'm not trying to use the 2.4 Ghz for Radio and Video at the same time, and that's why i ordered an Orange 433 mhz. The 2.4 ghz VTX/VRX was just laying around and I have never used it before, i had bought it for surveillance camera but never really used it, so those are the parts that I have. You are saying Fatshark are good quality, and my budget is around $450 so what do you suggest. I have ordered Quanum kit from Hobbyking and it's on it's way. This will be my first FPV system. Do you suggest to wait and try the Quanum first. I was also looking at this Boscam ones :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...acker_V2_.html

What would be best?

Thanks again for your answer.

Added: This is my first FPV system, but I kinda know the feeling of a cockpit from FSX, played FS for almost 15 years if that helps
Last edited by AlbEagle; Dec 26, 2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 03:01 PM
Southern Az
Joined May 2010
76 Posts
The Quanum goggles work great, they're larger and have a more immersive feeling in my opinion. They are much lighter than I thought they would be and you can secure the battery and other equipment to the sides. I would absolutely try the Quanums out first before ordering Fatsharks
Old Dec 26, 2014, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries321 View Post
The Quanum goggles work great, they're larger and have a more immersive feeling in my opinion. They are much lighter than I thought they would be and you can secure the battery and other equipment to the sides. I would absolutely try the Quanums out first before ordering Fatsharks
Ok thank you for your suggestion, I will wait for the quanum first, it's been 16 days now and I can't wait till they come. There may be delays because of the holidays but I have to live with it. Thanks again for your opinion .
Old Dec 26, 2014, 03:22 PM
Southern Az
Joined May 2010
76 Posts
Glad to help! Happy flying