SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:34 PM
Joined Feb 2014
5 Posts
Question
CISCO WS-CAC-2500W Server supply info

Hello all, firstly let me confess that I am not into RC. I am however really impressed with the general ingenuity of people on this forum.

I am a radio amateur and a professional RF engineer so maybe I can be of some service in return for some help?

The latest radio frequency amplifier designs run from 42-50VDC and like the RC hobby we radio amateurs have discovered that server power supplies are fantastic things. The HP 3000W supplies are a really awkward shape to mount in a typical radio shack or chassis so I have just bought a CISCO WS-CAC-2500W Server supply. The trouble is there appears to be absolutely no info at all on this supply. I have read the thread on how to try an work stuff out for yourself which I will do if necessary.

However has anyone got any info at all on this supply?

Thanks

ceevee
ceevee is offline Find More Posts by ceevee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2014
5 Posts
Today I got hold of a C19 cable and connected up the supply, upon switching it on I get 42v. I haven't put a load on it yet, nor have I figured out how to increase the output voltage but it's a start.

Next step is to see if I can get into the thing! It's not obvious at all as most of the chassis is riveted. I'll keep you posted.

ceevee
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Feb 2014
2 Posts
Hello. I too have a problem ...! I am a beginner, I bought a power supply HP (HP PSU HSTNS-PR09), 187 amps at 12 volts, but I do not know how to operate it. The food with 220Volt, lights up, the fan is running, but there is no voltage at the outputs. There are small plugs, in number of 12. 3 upper and 4 lower. Maybe someone should make short circuit. Can you help me?
npacelli is offline Find More Posts by npacelli
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:38 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,075 Posts
An amature radio operator and a professional RF engineer? You definitely should check out the FPV section here on RCGroups! That is a section where RF is critical. It's all about flying First Person View, or flying your plane through a real-time wireless video link.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:11 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,915 Posts
If you get it working don't forget to post a link to your solution on the reference thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceevee View Post
Today I got hold of a C19 cable and connected up the supply, upon switching it on I get 42v. I haven't put a load on it yet, nor have I figured out how to increase the output voltage but it's a start.

Next step is to see if I can get into the thing! It's not obvious at all as most of the chassis is riveted. I'll keep you posted.

ceevee
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2014
5 Posts
More good news I got into the thing quite easily after all. The supply powers up with only mains applied. There are 2 trimmers both of which are accessible from outside the case. When the lid is off it is very easy to get to the 42V pins and replace them. I'll will be using 4 x 45Amp Anderson power poles, 2 for positive and 2 for negative.

The trimmers are cemented and until I have done more investigation I am reluctant to try to move them. I suspect that one is fan speed and the other is voltage, I certainly hope so!

By the way the build quality on this thing is truly excellent. There is a large mains filter and lots of other filtering - no expense spared and beautifully engineered. The fan emits a high pitched whining sound an really shifts some air. My intention is to parallel 2 of these supplies and slow the fans down.

More tomorrow on this.

As for the RF stuff I will take a look (eventually) and see if I can help out. If there are any questions about RF range I am likely to scream as that is the number one question that I had at work. This is the job that I quit - today. Amiable enough but I really had enough
Last edited by ceevee; Feb 21, 2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Comment added.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:24 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,075 Posts
Yeah, experienced FPV'ers with a technical background also scream when somebody asks about range. In fact, somebody has an AWESOME thread signature quote on FPVLabs when there was a reply to newbie that asked about range: "Be careful asking about range around here. It's like asking how hot someones grandma is." HAHAH!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2010
92 Posts
If the PS speaks cisco I might be able to find out how the systems are adjusted. Im not familiar with that one but Im assuming they use them on the new 9K enterprise routers. I worked at a switch that had a few Cisco routers and the 10k and 9k ones were big huge power sucking monsters.
6172crew is offline Find More Posts by 6172crew
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:16 PM
Joined Feb 2014
5 Posts
Philthyy glad we got that sorted then

Incidentally the supply mentioned here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1825

Is for the same type of Cisco 6500 series switch, if anyone has pin-out info or knows how to adjust the voltage on the Sony APS-162 supply then chances are it will be the same process for the supply that I have.

I would like to know the pin outs because I want to use the PSKil signal as additional protection for my amplifiers.

ceevee
Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:40 PM
Joined Feb 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
If the PS speaks cisco I might be able to find out how the systems are adjusted. Im not familiar with that one but Im assuming they use them on the new 9K enterprise routers. I worked at a switch that had a few Cisco routers and the 10k and 9k ones were big huge power sucking monsters.
It's got to be worth a try. I'd be grateful for any info whatsoever. The pot that is accessible at the rear does not adjust the 42V output, it is most likely a crowbar threshold adjust.

I'm reluctant to fiddle with the pots without knowing what they are.

ceevee