HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,661 Posts
Build Log
Boeing 717 Build with CAD/CNC

I think it's time to try an airliner build, as I've got a couple 55mm EDF's lying around. Oh, and a home-made 3 axis CNC mill. I'm going with a 717, as it's got a short fuselage (less foam to buy ) and the rear-mounted engines will let me get away with making this a belly-lander. It'll be about 40" long and made entirely from pink and blue XPS foam. For simplicity, I'm cutting the fuselage in 2" ring sections, which I'll align with a couple wood dowels and glue together. The nose, tail cone, wings, and nacelles will be milled from solid foam.

I'm not sure what I'll be using as a finishing method, but I'd like to find something that looks better than just painting the foam would. Maybe some lightweight covering or tissue/polycrylic. Any advice would be appreciated. For that matter, I'm open to paint scheme suggestions as well.

Stay tuned!
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Dec 2007
134 Posts
Awesome man. definitely subbed for this one.
NAKIAM949 is offline Find More Posts by NAKIAM949
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,344 Posts
Very cool Build Rocketman! 717 is a great choice!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Sittin' on my hands
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2005
200 Posts
Wow, very cool. I'd love to build a 3 axis milling machine if I had the knowledge. So it can pretty much cut anything without an undercut, right?

sub'd
depronair is offline Find More Posts by depronair
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:46 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by depronair View Post
Wow, very cool. I'd love to build a 3 axis milling machine if I had the knowledge. So it can pretty much cut anything without an undercut, right?

sub'd
Yes - parts with undercuts need to be flipped over so that the concave surfaces can be milled out. Getting the part perfectly aligned when it's upside down is the tricky part. I'll attempt this when I make the nacelles.

The machine itself wasn't too tough to build - there's plenty of tutorials and guides out there for home-made CNC. My friend Dadude and I are both college students, and we were able to get the thing put together in about a week. There were some bugs to work out, but everything's been running smooth since then. These are the plans we used: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Cheaply-and-/
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
Sittin' on my hands
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2005
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Yes - parts with undercuts need to be flipped over so that the concave surfaces can be milled out. Getting the part perfectly aligned when it's upside down is the tricky part. I'll attempt this when I make the nacelles.

The machine itself wasn't too tough to build - there's plenty of tutorials and guides out there for home-made CNC. My friend Dadude and I are both college students, and we were able to get the thing put together in about a week. There were some bugs to work out, but everything's been running smooth since then. These are the plans we used: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Cheaply-and-/
awesome... not that I can run out and build one tomorrow, but thanks for the link. I think if one has the ability to build a CNC milling machine, they can also figure out creatively how to puzzleform parts together to get around the lack of undercutting ability.
depronair is offline Find More Posts by depronair
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,855 Posts
Cool !! subbed!
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
Depron Panda
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Great!!
subbed!!
Ronys is offline Find More Posts by Ronys
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
RC Enthusiast
United States, MD, California
Joined Oct 2007
15 Posts
Subbed!
JAllen512 is offline Find More Posts by JAllen512
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,661 Posts
Finished up the fuselage "ring" sections today. Now on to the nose and tail, which will take more time since the machine will be working in 3 dimensions instead of two. My machine can't really cut material thicker than 2", so I'll probably make the nose and tail in 3 slices.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,344 Posts
Quote:
Finished up the fuselage "ring" sections today. Now on to the nose and tail, which will take more time since the machine will be working in 3 dimensions instead of two. My machine can't really cut material thicker than 2", so I'll probably make the nose and tail in 3 slices.
I love your CNC mill! & your fusealge is looking great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,695 Posts
Awesome!!!.
Subbed
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,661 Posts
Just finished shaping the nose. I used the CNC machine to roughly contour the three sections in 0.1" increments, then glued them together and lightly sanded them. I think it came out pretty nice.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,344 Posts
Quote:
Just finished shaping the nose. I used the CNC machine to roughly contour the three sections in 0.1" increments, then glued them together and lightly sanded them. I think it came out pretty nice.
Looks Great Rocketman!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,344 Posts
I couldn't help myself "Rocketman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQwXOCKNLY
RCG Plus Member