HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
Discussion
Hanger 9 Sopwith Camel

Hi guys,

Got a slight quandary and could do with some advise.

Got myself a Hanger 9 sopwith bipe which I will start building soon.
Most reviews call for around 25% mix of rudder with Ailerons which seems to be the norm with WW1 bipes.
My prob is my old futaba skysport six does not have this facility, so I could either manually add rudder in the turns or would Aileron Differential do the same job. (ie :- more up travel than down).
The Ailerons are powered on the lower wing by one servo per Aileron connecting to the upper via a slave so setting the "mechanical" differential I don't think would be a problem.

Can anyone expand or confirm if this is right.

Thanks
Andy
AndyCross is offline Find More Posts by AndyCross
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:06 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Lucky you to find a Camel as I think it has been discontinued. I don't use differential or rudder mix and it is a pleasure to fly. I find that manually using rudder makes me a better pilot in the long run. There are a couple of really good (and long) threads on the Camel, you should check them out.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the advise.
Any other tips or do's or don't's to watch out for.

Have read most of whats available and it seems to have c of g issues if running electric which I am.
I've no probs with moving the servos and lipos as far forward as they'll go and replacing the metal Ele/Rudd control rods for lighter items.

I'm opting for a heavier brushless(390grms) than the recommended e-flight 46 and putting the esc on the engine mount.
I'm hoping this will be enough to keep the weight down forward enough and keep it down to 8-9lb.

Thanks
Andy
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Andy, as I remember, it went together fairly easy. I think the cg was off in the instructions and there was also a mistake about the cabane struts as well. I think the heavier the motor, the less weight you will need to add and the 46 is anemic for this plane in my opinion. I ended up putting the ESC where the chunk of lead was to go and cut a hole for the battery to go through the firewall and still needed to add about 12 oz of lead. All in all, this plane is a real pleasure to fly once you get the hang of take offs and landings down

Harry
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:11 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
Is that a Monster Power 160 motor Harry?

I'm planning on using one on 2p 3s 4800 mAH packs with a 19" prop in my Camel.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Tim, it's a MP60 running on 6S 4000 with a 15x8 APC prop. I would love to put a more scale prop on it but would have to change the motor. This combo really works great and I get 12-15 minutes of flight time.

Harry
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
G'day Harry. I was lucky enough to obtain two of these, one built and one new kit and am going electric for one and 4 stroke on the other. I am following your setup with elctric and was wondering what CG you have, there seems to be varying suggestions? Thanks
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Paradude, I have mine set at 3.75" and it works good for me. Just changed out the wheels (Williams Bro) that are heavier than the stock and may be able to remove some of the lead After a hard cross wind landing, I checked the landing gear and found that it had weak solder joints. Took it all apart, re-soldered and painted.

Harry
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks for that, I just found the thread on RCU and need to sort some issues like aileron movement etc but should be all good. Appreciate your help
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:21 PM
Ya gotta land eventually...
United States, NY, Mahopac
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Ohh.. glad saw this thread. I have a H9 I bought over year ago waiting for final assembly when my skills were up to par.

I am planning on getting her up by this fall. i will be keeping an eye on the build log. Feel free ot PM me if its a different thread you start.

Congrats! She is pretty. I may paint her after the Black Squadron...

-David
Davey NY is offline Find More Posts by Davey NY
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
Hi Guys,

From the RCU thread the ailerons do suffer a little restricted upward movement due to the covering(hinging). I've read if you deflect full up and re-heat the covering this will cure the prob.

Andy
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Yes, use a heat gun while holding the ailerons fully deflected. Mine had very little movement and this fixed it.

Harry
Old May 05, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks Harry for the info, maiden today and really happy with this plane. I used 5055 600kv on 4S and had more power than needed, flew half throttle on a 16 x 8 prop. As this one was already built unflown it had 930grams of lead in the nose, I got it down to around 400grams

Scotty's Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel. (8 min 3 sec)
Old May 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Nice video!! Looks like you got it dialed in pretty well. Such a sweet plane and I liked your coordinated turns. I fly off pavement and find that landings are best with little rudder input once on the ground, always directly into the wind. Congrats!

Harry
Old May 06, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Yes I must get used to no tail wheel lol. Now all I have to do is decide on a 90 fourstroke or 20cc gas for the other one.