Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:56 PM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Discussion
Tell me about the E "Twin" from NeSailplane

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1434

I get my bonus check at work Friday and I'm dying for new E-sailplane.

I've focused in on the "Twin" from Ne Sailplanes.

Somebody please tell me if I'm goin gto throw my money away.

I've been flying an Easy Star now for 4 months. I crashed dozens of times the first two months. But the last two months, I've done real good. The darn thing is still a beast to turn left, but it has been real fun to fly.

I'm ready to move on.

Is the Twin a good next step?

If not, what would you recomend?

I want to fly when the wind is 15-20. I don't want to go sit in the car and pick my feet waiting on the wind to die.

Don
truestorys is offline Find More Posts by truestorys
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
Hold your horses! Are you sure you are ready to upgraded to such a costly ship? Have you checked out the Easy Glider? It is a great step up from the Easy Star and it flys great. If you think you are ready for a High End ship I would recommend the OMEGA 1.8m. It is a great sailplane that will fly all afternoon and it is cheap too. But if you dont have a problem with foam the Easy Glider should really be your next plane. It is a great full house ship.

kevin
aV8ter is offline Find More Posts by aV8ter
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
I have bought one some time ago when it is on sale when I was looking for a e sailplanes fit with following purposes:
-no/ least build time=mouldie
-soaring/ bit of thermalling= no, though it HAS a RUDDER,due to SUPER STRONG= HEAVY weight, it is quite a old design (f3e) as printed in the instruction sheet.
- if otherwise cannot meet my thermalling needs, then hot-dogging around and train to land more better with a flapped plane.= not fully satisfied for it's nose is 'short' can not accomodate a 'modern' prop...it only handles 15 inches prop at max.

When I received the plane I felt quite disappointed for above reasons, but it was assemblied quite straight forward. And I maidened it, it is much wild as predicted owing to short nose+ modern power train caused its TAIL HEAVY , I managed to 'land/ crash it. I put it asides sometime for other projects and abroad working,..I then had time to look at the 'cracked plane' , it is a pretty plane anyway so I determined to make it flyable. It is not difficult but takes time, I conclude the reworks as:
-lengthen the nose about 3 inches> now it could accomodate a 20" prop, but it now flies well on 18,5x12 prop.
-glued the two pcs wing into a one pc for extra weights added: I overbuilt the longer nose with too much carbon, fgk would do it indeed.
- even with said weights, it still needed a heavy motor to balance it. Such tail heavy issue are further intensified by the way of rudder servo being installed in its fin rather than built according to the planned position under the TE with its tube system fitted.

Back to the topic, IMHO, I would say:
-If you DO JUST want a heavy plane to fly against strong winds, TWIN is the right candidate.
-But I would not recommend anyone without patience, time or basic skill in repairing composite to buy a TWIN.
-For flying characteristic, it is, like most of the hotliners, very sensitive to CG. It is a nightmare to fly a unbalanced TWIN!But without any mods, it is hardly possible to balance it right as indicated with modern power train. It was then powered by some 'HEAVY' duty DD motors, like Astro's cobalts or Graunpner's ULTRA brushed motors.
- As a second upgrade, I think it is better to have something more durable with foam obachee wings like the ION,Bandit or GilletteII rather than a mouldie. But of course if money is no issue, mouldie or not is no problem.

Hope this help.
David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Last edited by C-MIC; Jan 24, 2006 at 11:14 PM. Reason: press WRONG key before finished.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:06 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
I really don't think the Twin would be a wise choice as a second airplane. I believe you need a more docile airplane with ailerons and a bit more power than you have been so far exposed to. You will still enjoy flying as your skills improve with the more responsive plane

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:38 PM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
What about the Omega?? Its a great flying plane and it has everything that the Twin does, only better (IMHO) http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=131 ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:07 PM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
I've thought about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8ter
Hold your horses! Are you sure you are ready to upgraded to such a costly ship? Have you checked out the Easy Glider?
kevin
Yup, The Easy Glider should be my next step.
But can't I jump over this step and get some lusious carbon fiber wing thing?

Can the Easy Glider take 15-20 mph?

Anything above 12, my Easy Star sturggles.

Don
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:09 PM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
I do Like the looks of the Omega 2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyK1
What about the Omega?? Its a great flying plane and it has everything that the Twin does, only better (IMHO) http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=131 ...R...

I do like the looks of the Omega 2M.

Can it take some wind?

Don
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:21 AM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
The easy glider can take a very high amount of wind. I have seen one fly in 25mph wind.
The Omega is for casual slow flight whlie you hunt for thermals. The easy glider is more of a fun sailplane. It can be very aerobatic or calm if you would like. Because of the foam build up it is very easy to experiment with new power systems. You could get two rtf easy gliders for the price of the Omega kit.
Its your call!
aV8ter is offline Find More Posts by aV8ter
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:56 AM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-MIC
IMHO,
-But I would not recommend anyone without patience, time or basic skill in repairing composite to buy a TWIN.

David

Thank you David for taking the time to give such a good complete answer.
I think I have been steered away from the "Twin"

I know I should move next to the Easy Glider, but all this carbon wing ships look so good.

My head tells me Foam.
My heart tells me Carbon.

Is there a good easy flying Molded/Carbon wing ship?

Don
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:31 AM
Joined Feb 2005
368 Posts
I have owned a twin and they quality is there, great flyer. I know of a friend selling a brand new one aswell. I sent you his information.
homemade_lift is offline Find More Posts by homemade_lift
Old Jan 25, 2006, 01:58 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorys
Thank you David for taking the time to give such a good complete answer.
I think I have been steered away from the "Twin"

I know I should move next to the Easy Glider, but all this carbon wing ships look so good.

My head tells me Foam.
My heart tells me Carbon.

Is there a good easy flying Molded/Carbon wing ship?

Don
Don,
Here is the Chinese New Year coming few days later, so got much time and thus no need thanks. Just telling what I have been through with the TWIN.

In fact, it is true to say that most of the Mouldies are actually EASIER to fly once it is properly trimmed out, and find the right CG fit for your flying style, they are dream to fly. It is because most of the mouldies are purposely built for flying GOOD and precisely, again with today's hotships they usually carry sort of aerodynamic devices, eg flaps/ spoilers, or combi of both to assist for flying /landing in different tasks.
As I could see from you post that there should be some misconceptions about what to choose.
---you really want to have something which is able to flying more agile under windy conditions, then it is simply a wind fighter you should aim at. Nearly all SLOPERs in e-versions should fit your bill well.
--- You need NOT to consider, at least not at this stage, what materials are used in your next plane, unless you have already HAD a SUPER HOT drive train, say like a 2000w system ,spared and you will use it in your next pjt. But I don't think it would be the case. So spend more time to select one fit your likeliness and of course the budget if there is any.

---You / MANY may be confused about the CARBON is necessarily SUPERIOR in quality and performance, but it is simply wrong. Based on the limited ~5years experience in this hobby after a long hiatus,I found more and more nowadays advertisements stress how miracoliusy WELL their products turned out to be with the 'EXTENSIVE' use of CARBON stuffs ...etc.I am not a bit surprised when I have seen at least four of those China model makers met here in my flying sites, and talked to me about the CARBON stuffs.
In fact I really don't like CARBON unless they are necessity in certain areas like wing spar system and few stress points on the fuselage. I don't like Carbon stuff because they just give me headache from the rc glitches... I still don't get why that 'Siren' is designed with a FULL carbon fuselage except for marketing purpose.

So may be too much rambling here, and have few more opinion for your reference:
--for budget under USD250- I'll opt for: FVK's bandit, Gillette II, or Simprop's excel series.----with foam/obechi/fgk'd reinforcement.
--for range between 250- up to 400, FVK's Absolute/ Nobody , NEsailplanes' OCELOT-E,---ALL are good oldie mouldies, strong yet agile.
All of the above said models have a better build or perf/cost ratio than the Twin you mentioned in this thread, I said so based upon my hands on them...
of course the choice is much more than these, but all of them are stout and with excellent controllability in strong winds, or even gust conditions.

Good luck to your projects,

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC