HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:44 AM
Dave
United States, CO, Englewood
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Hello, Everyone! After flying my neighbor's Delta Ray, I jumped in to RC Planes with both feet and purchased the Ares 370. I have put about an hours worth of flight time and at the suggestion of this post, just upgraded to the brushless motor which I will try out this weekend. Also, removed all the decals to add my personal touch. I now have the Thunder Power TP610 charger with EFlite batteries so I will be on to the next phase and that is a better controller. everyone seems to point to the DX6i so anyone chime in on likes/dislikes. BTW- next plane will be a T-28
DMart 9436 is offline Find More Posts by DMart 9436
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:14 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMart 9436 View Post
Hello, Everyone! After flying my neighbor's Delta Ray, I jumped in to RC Planes with both feet and purchased the Ares 370. I have put about an hours worth of flight time and at the suggestion of this post, just upgraded to the brushless motor which I will try out this weekend. Also, removed all the decals to add my personal touch. I now have the Thunder Power TP610 charger with EFlite batteries so I will be on to the next phase and that is a better controller. everyone seems to point to the DX6i so anyone chime in on likes/dislikes. BTW- next plane will be a T-28
Welcome to the Gamma club!

You are doing the same thing as me, upgrading the Gamma, upgrading controller and then buying a T-28. If the planets align, I might buy my T-28 this weekend.

I purchased a DX6i second hand from eBay and haven't looked back. It has everything you need for starting out. I doubt I'll ever have more than 10 planes so model memory isn't a worry for me. If you want more than 10 models then you might want to look at getting the new DX6. Make sure you get a compatible receiver when you do upgrade because the stock receiver doesn't work with Spektrum transmitters. I use an OrangeRX R615 receiver and haven't had any issues at all.

Did you paint or stickker your plane? I'd like to see how it looks.
Hingo is online now Find More Posts by Hingo
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:23 AM
Dave
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Greetings, Hingo! I would be getting my T-28 but it is the Durafly and is currently backordered. The Dx6i will include the Orange receiver so I should be go. Doubt I will go more than 10 but who knows.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:30 AM
Dave
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
My as well add a couple more since its my first!!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:40 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
296 Posts
I have the DX6i. There may be better Tx out there, but I think it's a really good value considering its price.
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:45 AM
Dave
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Any quirks with it? Tips? One thing I tried last night was to coat the wings both fore and aft where the rubber bands dig into the wing with some epoxy. Looks like it will be strong enough to withstand the rubber band syndrome.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 04:57 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
62 Posts
Nice plane DMart. I have been half thinking of eventually painting mine to look like a Cessna Bird Dog. Nice choice getting the Durafly T-28. I think it looks much better than the PZ one but I can't ignore the great reviews of the PZ T-28.

As for quirks, the undercarriage needs to be reinforced with some glue. I have had mine come loose or fall of a few times in hard landings or crashes. Luckily I fly better now so it hasn't been a problem lately. I put packing tape near the rubber bands to stop them from digging in, that is about it.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:17 PM
Dave
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Thanks! I like the reviews on the PZ T-28 as well but that cheap looking landing gear I just can't get past. Really detracts from the model.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:45 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
62 Posts
I agree. I'm probably going to modify mine to look a bit better. I just some plastic strut covers and wheel pants would make it look better.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:11 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
296 Posts
Wing Guard

Dmart: There is a plastic cover that comes with the plane that should protect the wing from the rubber bands. I bought an aileron wing, and either the part didn't ship with it, or I lost it. I made some protective covers out of thin balsa, coated with epoxy.

I did not use the Ares cover design for this; I used the HH Super Cub design. This puts some material at the front and the rear, with nothing in between. So far this is working really well.

For the front, I cut the material so that the grain was parallel to the leading edge; soaked it in water overnight; shaped it over a round surface of almost same curvature as leading edge; allowed to dry.

I made two separate pieces for port and starboard so that the wing can still be disconnected.

The rear is a bit different. I did use one continuous piece across the wings, on the top. That is glued to a fairly thick piece of bass, but only one one side. So, the wing is still not glued together but the edges are protected. The rear is a bit hard to see as it is painted same color as wing, in that area

Regards
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:54 AM
Dave
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Joe:
I have the plastic cover but on occasion the bands slip and dig into the rear part wing. I like the balsa wood idea and I have some very thin brass that I think I may try since it shapes very easily and won't add a lot of weight. Thanks for the idea!!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:05 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
296 Posts
The leading edge is round and it's easy to distribute the load. The trailing edge is a sharp edge and easier to damage.

A fairly durable strip of something (balsa, bass, brass) gives you better protection. It doesn't take much!!

Regards
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:08 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
62 Posts
I wasn't happy with how my ailerons were performing so I decided to swap out my servo on the weekend. Turns out the hobby store had sold me a 7.5 gram servo instead of a 9 gram and the thing just didn't have the torque to produce nice rolls. I probably should have paid more attention at the time. Plane is much better now with the 9 gram eBay servo installed (which appears to be identical to the Ares servo).

Had a couple of great days of flying on the weekend despite a half crash/half landing attempt early on. I overshot my landing attempt so went for a go around. On the second attempt I made a low banked turned to line up with the landing strip but lost too much altitude in the turn and clipped the undercarriage on the ground. The plane cartwheeled and ripped off the ever fragile landing gear but luckily suffered no other damage. I glued the undercarriage back on but this time I used Gorilla glue. What great stuff! I think the foam will break before that thing comes off again.

Back in the air again and the plane seems to be getting a lot of attention from magpies lately...

Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:18 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
296 Posts
I've had bad landings that have ripped the gear off. Nothing broken other than being pulled out, except once when it also pulled out the plastic housing it was inserted into.
Thing is, the repairs were very easy and the plane didn't look any worse after the repair.

I'd actually propose that whether by design or accident, the landing gear is perfectly suited for it's use. In "ok" landings: it works as it should. In rough landings: it breaks away without breaking something else.

Regards
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM
Dave
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Hingo,

What camera are you using on the 370? I want to fly my plane over the river near me to get a "birds-eye" view of the flow.