HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:01 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
I started with a pro mini selfbuilt controller (with sensor it cost me a total of 9$ plus a few bits and pieces I had anyways) after I fried my naze32, never had any major issue with it.

@Spree: The motors shouldn't be on rubber.. if they shift even the slightest bit due to the rubber giving way, you'll get all kinds of issues. Better to put the sensor board on rubber or similar.
And yes, sensor being off by 90 will cause a flip.. I had the same issue when I mounted my FC the wrong way, first and only time my quad had any damage.
It is nice to make 100$ DIY

Basic DIY MultiWii cost less then 6$ in these days.
Basic DIY Naze32 cost less then 10$

Here is my DIY MultiWii
MultiWii 2.2 on Y4 Scorpion. DIY Cheapest Control Board. Video by Mobius and DV04 (4 min 11 sec)

The tricky part is to put the right orientation in the MultiWii configuration (config.h or def.h) ... honestly I don't know which is the rule of setting this +/- X/Y/Z ... I either take a predefine board definition and I check the 6050 chip orientation on the board ... or ... I proceed by "random tentative" .. in the MultiWIi GUI there is a nice indication of pitch and roll ... a fast "move" of the sensor cause a fast change in the shown pitch/roll , driven only by the Gyro configuration ... while left stationary ... the pitch/roll is dictated by the Acc configuration.

I also manage to re-configure my 5883 MAG in a similar way.

Anyhow .. main rule of DIY .. is lot of testing before fly, and possibly verify each single part that is working as expected.

On my YouTube channel and on my RCG post you may find other DIY projects that I did made in the RC world
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2014, 09:48 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
I have a X525 from GLB withe the multiwii SE V1.9 FW. I gave up on it over a year ago when I just couldn't get a stable flight with it. It would fly not too bad for a few seconds then wobble its way out of control. I tried better props balancing, calibrating over and over to no avail. I presently pulled it out again and up graded the FW to V2 but still having the wobble. So I'm back here reading again, lol. I have seen a few posts on the same topic that have been cured with the filter setting change, going to try that tonight. I have the FC mounted on top without a cover so looks like I need to address that too. Would there be an advantage at this point to go to FW 2.1 or2.2 ? I have also ordered the Bluetooth, its a pain when you have to keep hooking it up the computer all the time. My PID's are similer to most on here first 3 at 3.5 - 0.30 - 25.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Last edited by davecrash; Sep 03, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2014, 11:42 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
I have a X525 from GLB withe the multiwii SE V1.9 FW. I gave up on it over a year ago when I just couldn't get a stable flight with it. It would fly not too bad for a few seconds then wobble its way out of control. I tried better props balancing, calibrating over and over to no avail. I presently pulled it out again and up graded the FW to V2 but still having the wobble. So I'm back here reading again, lol. I have seen a few posts on the same topic that have been cured with the filter setting change, going to try that tonight. I have the FC mounted on top without a cover so looks like I need to address that too. Would there be an advantage at this point to go to FW 2.1 or2.2 ? I have also ordered the Bluetooth, its a pain when you have to keep hooking it up the computer all the time. My PID's are similer to most on here first 3 at 3.5 - 0.30 - 25.
Go for MultiWii 2.3

Set 6050 gyro filter to 20Hz ... with 20Hz stock PID should give you decent flying.

If you have "slow" ESC ... you may have to reduce further the PID ... in case of "bad" ESC try to flash them with SimonK of BlHeli firmware
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:10 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Go for MultiWii 2.3

Set 6050 gyro filter to 20Hz ... with 20Hz stock PID should give you decent flying.

If you have "slow" ESC ... you may have to reduce further the PID ... in case of "bad" ESC try to flash them with SimonK of BlHeli firmware
After several failed attempts of 2.3, 2.2 and 2.1 I went back to 2.0 with the filter setting change. the others all gave me errors and wouldn't load. 2.0 with the filter change works!!! level works well and alt hold is working sort of, lol. I find if i try to hold it within a foot off the ground it will start to wobble then flip over. this is propably because i still dont have the baro covered on the board. It got late last night playing with all the FW versions so i didn't test fly till this morning. I will try 2.3 again later. Thank you to whom ever posted the gyro setting. (I can't remember who first did the post) I have the same quad as Invertedsnap who had the same problem. One thing i noticed about this qaud and thought it played a part in the problem, is the flex in the motor mounts. Now just to play with PID's to fine tune it. The ESC's are the stock kit ones, Hobby wing sky walker 20amp.
Last edited by davecrash; Sep 04, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:24 AM
Joined May 2009
654 Posts
The wobble near the ground is normal, it's sitting in its own prop wash afterall.
As for the motor mounts, buy a set of spares and just put two on top of each other. They are known to crack eventually, even without a crash.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Sep 07, 2014, 05:39 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Just came across this on aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MWC-M...593729977.html thinking about ordering it but thought I would get you guys opinion first.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 11:24 PM
Joined May 2009
654 Posts
Outdated. The FC uses an atmega328p, which is already too small to use all features of multiwii now, and will probably not even work at all with newer versions.
A real AIO board contains an atmega2560, which has a lot more memory, processing power and serial ports.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:33 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,760 Posts
Quote:
Just came across this on aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MWC-M...593729977.html thinking about ordering it but thought I would get you guys opinion first.
Too old and too expensive
Old Sep 08, 2014, 03:54 AM
Quad is the new black
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
For not much more you can get a crius board, gps and BT adapter which would be much better value imo.
rocketheli is offline Find More Posts by rocketheli