Old Jun 17, 2016, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Don't fear the reaper
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
Discussion
Heavy lines in Draftsite not wanted

Well actually when I converted the CAD file to a PDF the lines for some of the parts are very heavy. I'm sure it is a setting within Draftsite that needs to be changed but I'm not smart enough to figure out where the change is made.

These files were not mine. I just resized them and combined them with the other drawing.

One other issue I'm having is exporting/converting a PDF in full size from a CAD file.

Thanks for the help!

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helping a club member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
998 Posts
If the "heavy" lines you are asking about are on the rib sections, the answer is simple. The rib sections were generated/drawn in a different program called Compufoil. (A very good program, bye the way.) The completed Compufoil airfoil; drawings were then imported into the CAD drawing. The width of those lines is a setting in Compufoil, and you can't change it, once the Compufoil drawings have been imported into your Draftsight drawing.

As for your small pdf issue. What is the drawing/page size in the original Draftsight drawing you are converting to PDF?
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Jun 18, 2016, 07:51 AM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
OK, Thanks for the tip on the airfoil sections. The lines look OK if I print them on my 8X11 printer at home.

The CAD drawings are full size in DraftSight. At least I think they are Maybe that is the whole problem? When I take one of the converted PDF's and reimport it into DraftSite and measure it, the PDF length is about .6" long.

Maybe the solution is just to buy a plotter and print directly off DraftSite. I know Staples will only print PDF files.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:15 AM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
Not knowing for sure how to check if my drawing was full scale or not I drew a box around the fuse drawing. That box measured about 74 1/4inches. I then drew a line 75 inches long and it was a a little longer than the box. Is my drawing full scale?

I drew the line using the command line, entering the length of the line if that helps.

Ken

EDIT: Do you have to export the file on a piece of paper that will hold the entire drawing in full scale? I've been exporting it at 8 X 11.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kenh3497; Jun 18, 2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by Brner
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
1,135 Posts
Ken,

If you don't already have one, you need PDF program. I use two, depending on the task. PrimoPDF (the free version) is my main program. Also have CutePDF (also the free version). CutePDF seems to work a bit faster but both do a good job.

I'm not familiar with Compufoil but if those rib elements got imported to Draftsight as blocks, you might try exploding them. If they explode, each element will be on a layer. You can assign different line widths to that layer. If they came in as images, you're stuck with tracing them.

I use Draftsight a lot and if you'd care to send me the dfx or dwg that you're working with, I'd be happy to take a look at it....check your PM....

Don
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jun 18, 2016, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Not knowing for sure how to check if my drawing was full scale or not I drew a box around the fuse drawing. That box measured about 74 1/4inches. I then drew a line 75 inches long and it was a a little longer than the box. Is my drawing full scale?

I drew the line using the command line, entering the length of the line if that helps.

Ken

EDIT: Do you have to export the file on a piece of paper that will hold the entire drawing in full scale? I've been exporting it at 8 X 11.
I'm not familiar with Draftsight, so I may not use the exact same terms that Draftsight uses, but you should be able to understand me. Your CAD drawing contains 2 "spaces". "Model Space", where our drawing is created "full size", and "Paper Space", where your drawing is scaled to fit on what ever paper size you have specified. Your "Paper Space" drawing is still full sized, but it won't print full sized, if you have specified a paper size that won't hold the completed drawing. The same thing goes for creating a PDF copy of your drawing, you must specify a PDF "paper" size: that the full sized drawing can be printed on, or the drawing will be shrunk to fit the chosen paper size.

Note that you can enlarge a PDF drawing when it is printed, if the PDF is not 'full sized", however the more the drawing is enlarged, the less usable it becomes. As you enlarge the PDF, the lines get wider, unlike enlarging the CAD file where the line width's stay the same, as the drawing gets bigger. As an example, you have a drawing and the lines in the drawing are 1/16th of an inch wide. If your drawing is a CAD file, and you enlarge it to 8 times it's size, the lines in the drawing will still be 1/16th of an inch wide. If your drawing is a PDF copy of the same CAD file, and you enlarge it to 8 times it's size, the lines in the drawing will no longer be 1/16th of an inch wide, they will be 1/2 an inch wide.

What this means is that if your drawing contains patterns for parts, you want the original paper size, to be as large as possible, because the more the final print has to be enlarged (if it is a PDF), the less accurate it becomes.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Last edited by Ken Barnes; Jun 18, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 05:03 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
Ken,

If you don't already have one, you need PDF program. I use two, depending on the task. PrimoPDF (the free version) is my main program. Also have CutePDF (also the free version). CutePDF seems to work a bit faster but both do a good job.

I'm not familiar with Compufoil but if those rib elements got imported to Draftsight as blocks, you might try exploding them. If they explode, each element will be on a layer. You can assign different line widths to that layer. If they came in as images, you're stuck with tracing them.

I use Draftsight a lot and if you'd care to send me the dfx or dwg that you're working with, I'd be happy to take a look at it....check your PM....

Don
Already replied to your PM. I'll try the above first. THANKS

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2016, 05:04 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes View Post
I'm not familiar with Draftsight, so I may not use the exact same terms that Draftsight uses, but you should be able to understand me. Your CAD drawing contains 2 "spaces". "Model Space", where our drawing is created "full size", and "Paper Space", where your drawing is scaled to fit on what ever paper size you have specified. Your "Paper Space" drawing is still full sized, but it won't print full sized, if you have specified a paper size that won't hold the completed drawing. The same thing goes for creating a PDF copy of your drawing, you must specify a PDF "paper" size: that the full sized drawing can be printed on, or the drawing will be shrunk to fit the chosen paper size.

Note that you can enlarge a PDF drawing when it is printed, if the PDF is not 'full sized", however the more the drawing is enlarged, the less usable it becomes. As you enlarge the PDF, the lines get wider, unlike enlarging the CAD file where the line width's stay the same, as the drawing gets bigger. As an example, you have a drawing and the lines in the drawing are 1/16th of an inch wide. If your drawing is a CAD file, and you enlarge it to 8 times it's size, the lines in the drawing will still be 1/16th of an inch wide. If your drawing is a PDF copy of the same CAD file, and you enlarge it to 8 times it's size, the lines in the drawing will no longer be 1/16th of an inch wide, they will be 1/2 an inch wide.

What this means is that if your drawing contains patterns for parts, you want the original paper size, to be as large as possible, because the more the final print has to be enlarged (if it is a PDF), the less accurate it becomes.

This makes sense to me. I'll experiment with this and Don's suggestion.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2016, 06:45 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
Almost forgot.... Well, actually I did.... I use Foxit Reader. I assume I need something that also creates a PDF, correct? If so I'll try the two Don mentioned.

ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by Alpha35
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
145 Posts
KenH,

If you have a Compufoil file that was converted to dxf (within Compufoil) you can open it any
conventional cad program as a vector file and print it at any size without the line weights being changed form the original . However, since many plan printing services only print from
pdf files, you have to convert your drawing to a full sized pdf file,

To do this, go online and download a copy of cutepdf or something similar. Add it as a printer
to your to your draftsite list of printers. Then when you are ready to print from draftsight
select cute pdf as your PRINTER and select a paper size large enough to encompass the entire
full sized drawing that will fit a width of 36" max and any minimum close length.
Cutepdf will ask you for a file destination. If you choose for instance a thumb drive
it will send your new pdf file there and you can take it to your to your favorite plan printer
and print with no further hassle. Hint: commercial plan printers that cater to archirects,
enginereers and contractor crowd will charge you a lot less than the the likes of kinkos, Staples
and the like.

GeneH
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Jun 19, 2016, 07:35 AM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha35 View Post
KenH,

If you have a Compufoil file that was converted to dxf (within Compufoil) you can open it any
conventional cad program as a vector file and print it at any size without the line weights being changed form the original . However, since many plan printing services only print from
pdf files, you have to convert your drawing to a full sized pdf file,

To do this, go online and download a copy of cutepdf or something similar. Add it as a printer
to your to your draftsite list of printers. Then when you are ready to print from draftsight
select cute pdf as your PRINTER and select a paper size large enough to encompass the entire
full sized drawing that will fit a width of 36" max and any minimum close length.
Cutepdf will ask you for a file destination. If you choose for instance a thumb drive
it will send your new pdf file there and you can take it to your to your favorite plan printer
and print with no further hassle. Hint: commercial plan printers that cater to archirects,
enginereers and contractor crowd will charge you a lot less than the the likes of kinkos, Staples
and the like.

GeneH
Thanks Gene. Unfortunately where I live the only game in town is a staples. I asked yesterday when returning from the flying field and a 36 by 80 inch plan will only be about $5 or $6. I can live with that!

I've discovered that DraftSite has the option of choosing paper size in standard size or custom size. I tried a custom size last night and I think I have success. That and I exploded the compufoil drawings and all the lines are now at .25mm like the other drawings.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2016, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by Alpha35
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
145 Posts
Ken.

Does Staples have the ability to print dxf or dwg files? If not you will still have to convert your file to pdf, since Draftsight can't "save as" pdf. The easiest way of creating a pdf file from within Draftsight by is by printing from Cute pdf (or something simular) to a file destination of
your choosing.

Gene
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Jun 20, 2016, 07:52 AM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha35 View Post
Ken.

Does Staples have the ability to print dxf or dwg files? If not you will still have to convert your file to pdf, since Draftsight can't "save as" pdf. The easiest way of creating a pdf file from within Draftsight by is by printing from Cute pdf (or something simular) to a file destination of
your choosing.

Gene
Staples will print every thing except dwg and dxf. My version of Draft site has an export PDF option. That is what I'm using.

I think my issues have been resolved. It just took a bit of schooling.

Thanks to all for the help.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2016, 08:10 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
This is what I wound up with. I think it is good to go.

Cotton pickin' Staples can't/won't print DWG or DXF files. It would be so much simpler if they did.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2016, 09:21 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,687 Posts
STILL not right. I'm about ready to give up on this.

DO NOT USE THESE PDF IMAGES

Ken
RCG Plus Member