Old May 25, 2016, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
277 Posts
Discussion
175,000 Years Ago Today

More or less, give or take 10,000 years, Neanderthals built walls out of stalactites and stalagmites in a cave. Then they had a party!
Quote:
They painted magnificent cave paintings. They mastered fire and used tools. And now we know they constructed complex buildings deep within subterranean caves, and they did it more than 175,000 years ago. No, we're not talking about early humans. Neanderthals did all this.

A team of archaeologists led by Jacques Jaubert at the University of Bordeaux, in France has just completed an archaeological examination of a mysterious find: the rubble of two ancient Neanderthal-made buildings meticulously crafted from stalagmites. The site is located 1,000 feet into a dark, twisting cave 30 miles outside what is now Toulouse in southwestern France. The discovery is the first of its kind and, the researchers say, radically alters the understanding of Neanderthal culture. Jaubert's team outlines their exploration today in a paper in the journal Nature.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...000-years-ago/

Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old May 25, 2016, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Z06kal
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,587 Posts
Everyone on LTUP knows this (like global warming) is pseudo-science B.S. as the Earth can't possibly more than 6000 years old...
Z06kal is online now Find More Posts by Z06kal
Old May 25, 2016, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by balsabuser
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2016
195 Posts
Hmm, I read years ago that one of the things that separated humans from neanderthals was art, that they supposedly did not make any kind of artwork not even simple jewelry.
Another expert opinion down the drain.
balsabuser is offline Find More Posts by balsabuser
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 25, 2016, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by radix2
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
wow they stacked some rocks into two small circles.... must have taken a couple of them a few hours...

These people had larger brain volume than our branch of humans... who is it that is so surprised they could do "stuff"..?
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old May 25, 2016, 05:02 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
277 Posts
What I would like to understand is how they lite their way in and out for a 1,000 feet. Did they stack unlit torches at various intervals? Make a long rope? Maybe just fires at every turn.
Old May 25, 2016, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by Libelle201B
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
What I would like to understand is how they lite their way in and out for a 1,000 feet. Did they stack unlit torches at various intervals? Make a long rope? Maybe just fires at every turn.
Just got back from a Colorado vacation where we went on a natural cave tour and also visited an old gold mine 1000' down, and I can tell you when they turned off the lights it's like complete absolute blackness and after a few short minutes a bit disorenting, it's as black as black can be, you can't see ANYTHING, even your hand in front of your face. These ancient people must have had some light source and or as you suggest a rope of sorts to follow if the flame went out, without such you would be doomed.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old May 25, 2016, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by radix2
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
it all done with mirrors

and smoke
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old May 25, 2016, 05:40 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
Just got back from a Colorado vacation where we went on a natural cave tour and also visited an old gold mine 1000' down, and I can tell you when they turned off the lights it's like complete absolute blackness and after a few short minutes a bit disorenting, it's as black as black can be, you can't see ANYTHING, even your hand in front of your face. These ancient people must have had some light source and or as you suggest a rope of sorts to follow if the flame went out, without such you would be doomed.
Yes, I did spelunking in my youth and the darkness is absolute.

There are six identified structures in the room:
Old May 25, 2016, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
743 Posts
Neanderthal parties must have ROCKED!!

and NO, I am NOT sorry for that pun.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old May 25, 2016, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Joined Dec 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
wow they stacked some rocks into two small circles.... must have taken a couple of them a few hours...

These people had larger brain volume than our branch of humans... who is it that is so surprised they could do "stuff"..?
Brain volume is not an indication of being able to do 'stuff'.
Sonny McGhee is online now Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Old May 25, 2016, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by CashD
One more flight...
Joined Jan 2010
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
Neanderthal parties must have ROCKED!!

and NO, I am NOT sorry for that pun.
Probably not. As I understand it, experts believe they just sat around and got stoned.

CashD is online now Find More Posts by CashD
Old May 25, 2016, 07:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2016
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashD View Post
Probably not. As I understand it, experts believe they just sat around and got stoned.

early cannabis users
Old May 25, 2016, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by robogizzard
Joined May 2014
60 Posts
Weird. On the other side of the world, a guy cut up a stalagmite and reconstructed 175,000 years of climate. http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14...comms4805.html
robogizzard is offline Find More Posts by robogizzard
Old May 25, 2016, 08:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2016
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogizzard View Post
Weird. On the other side of the world, a guy cut up a stalagmite and reconstructed 175,000 years of climate. http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14...comms4805.html
That settles it ...global warming is a fraud
Old May 25, 2016, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by Bob meter
United States, ME, Caribou
Joined Apr 2016
17 Posts
I think it was Satan placing the stalagmites in that cave to fool us into believing in evolution. If they keep looking they also might find the fossils of the talking snake from the garden of Eden. Satan is crafty like that
Bob meter is online now Find More Posts by Bob meter