Old Feb 28, 2016, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by countrydan
Joined Oct 2015
15 Posts
Discussion
ST Models DG1000

After 40 years of sailplanes, I finally decided to try one of the foamies. After about an hour readying the ST Models DG 1000, I headed to a large field near my home and raised the motor for takeoff. It dipped alarmingly from a hand toss and I barely kept it from nosing into the ground, but did recov er. What happened next changed every notion I had about foam airplanes. After a 20 second climb, I lowered the motor and trimmed the sailplane. The day was a bit windy and not a cloud to indicate lift, just a pale blue sky. After 10 minutes I began to have trouble seeing the plane. I am 70 years old but have good eyesight. The white plane was hard to see, especially so high. Don't know where the lift came from, but I decided to bring it down. Not an easy task, as the DG 1000 found lift everywhere I turned. I finally got it down to about 50feet and raised the electric motor again. This time, I climbed to about 200 feet and lift again! This plane raefused to come down. I have yet to run a battery down with this small wonder. It is a joy to fly. What I have been missing by not getting one sooner. Yes, I still have a Bird of Time and other pure sailplanes, but the electric DG 1000 has spoiled me. I have tried a Radian, but it doesn't live up to this one.
countrydan is offline Find More Posts by countrydan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2016, 05:39 PM
I74
Find More Posts by I74
I74
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jan 2013
1,119 Posts
I have had mine going on 4 1/2 years now, and still love it !
For a foamy semi scale 2m ship, I think it is the best bang for your buck out there.
Here is a pic of mine flying with a Bald Eagle, at our last fall slope event
I had the longest unpowered flight of the event with it.
If you keep clicking or scrolling on the pic, you can enlarge and center it.
Ian
I74 is offline Find More Posts by I74
Old Feb 28, 2016, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by countrydan
Joined Oct 2015
15 Posts
Nice pic. I plan to paint the bottom of the airplane to help with visibility. The wings are so slim that they are hard to see. If a sailplane ever needed spoilers, this one does. I am still overshooting on landings because of the long glide near the ground.
countrydan is offline Find More Posts by countrydan
Old Feb 28, 2016, 06:20 PM
I74
Find More Posts by I74
I74
Joined Jan 2013
1,119 Posts
Thanks Dan.
I make stripes ect. with Monocote trim sheets, it helps a lot.
Generally just put them under one wing for orientation, and for adding to the wing that needed more weight, for lateral balance. Darker colors would probably be the best for this, as you might see that mine shows bright orange. ''OOPS'' Looks cool up close though.
If you tractor the prop by just letting it windmill when landing ect. it will slow down nicely.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by clive_fox
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2002
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I74 View Post
Here is a pic of mine flying with a Bald Eagle, at our last fall slope event
Ian
I have looked at this plane for a while and was wondering how it went but am unsure of the quality and reliability of the motor.

Nice shot of the eagle reminds me when flying a 1:1 ship, an Astir in late 70's, I was thermaling and had an eagle getting lift of my wing about 4-5 feet from the cockpit - pity we did not have smartphone cameras in those days it was amazing.
clive_fox is offline Find More Posts by clive_fox
Old Feb 29, 2016, 07:36 AM
I74
Find More Posts by I74
I74
Joined Jan 2013
1,119 Posts
Thanks for the reply Clive.
The later offerings have a stronger redesigned RMS system.
Mine is a first generation, that I have added carbon rods with ca, in the slots of the pod framework, because of cracking over the years.
It is pretty stout for the time being..
That must of been epic flying next to an eagle in a full sized sailplane.
Ian
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
3,298 Posts
Ive just started flying mine again. Its the best thermal glider in my fleet. Ive just added the FRsky vario and FPV gear. nb there is a main thread on it at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g1000&page=101
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800