Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 20, 2014, 06:49 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
Discussion
2014 F5D World Championships blog/preparations

Thought I'd start a thread logging progress/preparations for the F5D WC in Turnau, Austria in August. The other two members are Bruce Brown and Doug Ahlshlager with Steve Manganelli being the manager (also manager for the F5B team who will be competing at the same date and venue).

Please chime in with advice, questions, comments, etc.

I have my first of three Avionik D05's completed and flew the maiden plus a few more yesterday. Needed a couple clicks of aileron trim and a little down elevator trim and she's tracking well. Some of you might recall I started out with StratAir Vipers which I love very much, but encountered slight difficulty getting more, so I switched to Avioniks (the Vipers will remain viable backups and I plan to continue to fly them).

Right now I don't really notice any difference between the Avionik and the Viper - they both fly well and round the pylons nicely - it's just me that needs the practice!

This morning I put up the pylons and got in four good flights - well pretty good flights! A few good laps and a few pretty sloppy laps mixed in, but I managed to beat the limiter on a couple of the flights, so not a bad start.

She gradually climbs as the laps count down, so I think she needs a little left wing tip weight to keep it from rolling right in the turns (resulting in gained altitude). I'm pretty sure I'm getting the wing vertical, but we'll see.

My 200mAh LiFe for an Rx battery seems to be working well - I'm consuming about 15mAh - 20mAh per flight.

Got a good start on building my other two Avioniks and will practice and build as time permits. Same as last summer when prepping for the trials, I plan to get out pretty much every morning the weather is suitable and get in laps around the pylons.

The Avioniks are pretty boring right now, but plan to put on some graphics eventually.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:14 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
716 Posts
Nice thread Tim, I bet you are getting excited as it is getting close, my time fly's as we get older.

I think VooDoo Doug is coming to San Diego in a few weeks for some test and tune with the Browns, myself and whoever else wants to come.

I look forward to seeing the advancements posted here...

DE
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:49 PM
the seventh planet
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Thanks for the update Tim but I have to ask where did you get the antenna guides you have on the pictured plane? I need a set of those!
Edhs is offline Find More Posts by Edhs
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:40 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
Hi Edhs.

I got them from Flight Comp:

http://flightcomp.com/2-4-accessories/

I posted some pics of mounting them back in the Avionik D05 thread.

Tim
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:42 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.English View Post
Nice thread Tim, I bet you are getting excited as it is getting close, my time fly's as we get older.

I think VooDoo Doug is coming to San Diego in a few weeks for some test and tune with the Browns, myself and whoever else wants to come.

I look forward to seeing the advancements posted here...

DE
Hi Dave.

Yes, time does fly and especially so as we age as you said. But I'm only 50, so I don't feel so old just yet!

Not really getting excited yet...I guess I don't get excited about much anyway. Surely, it's good to get one airborne and get back to practicing, but it's just another step of many necessary to get prepared.

Love to get back out to San Diego, but I've been spending money like it's going out of style so that's just not going to happen. We'll have to use the Turnau Cup warm up race to get used to each other.

Tim
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:48 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
We'll have to use the Turnau Cup warm up race to get used to each other.

Tim
That should not be a problem, I am sure all will work out.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:21 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
Four good flights this morning around the course with pylons up. The wind was blowing pretty much from No. 1, so I launched toward No. 1. Iím not used to doing it this way because usually the wind is blowing from the North so I launch the other way, circle left around 3 with plenty of time and distance to get the plane lined up for the first turn around 1. Itís really different going full-bore while trying to get the plane settled and aimed correctly right after the hand launch (but no different from AMA EF1 where you launch directly toward No. 1 too).

Launching directly toward 1 really conserves a lot of energy, so I was getting like 10-3/4 Ė 11 laps before my limiter kicked in. I could have gone with more prop, but Iím still getting everything dialed in (including myself) so the slightly slower setup is better for now.

The weight on the left tip seemed to help some, but Iím still flying high too many laps. One way to get her back down is to over rotate a little around 2 & 3. Otherwise, the wing is just about vertical most of the time and itís difficult to bring it down.

But thereís nothing like the feeling when the plane is about 20í up coming around No. 1 setting you up for a good lap!

No spotter today, so Iím pretty sure I was flying long around 1. That said, Iím getting times around 65 seconds which is fine for now considering Iím just getting going here.

No broken props today either!

Tim
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:16 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
551 Posts
Sounds great Tim !! You're coming along nicely. I would recommend you have props sized for launching out the back of the course for those launches and then some props sized to launch towards pylon #1. We experienced these type of wind shifts at the WC in Muncie and had the props to adapt.

If any of the team members need a race-ready D-05 I still have one and willing to sell. Just add motor battery and launch !

Randy
Rsmith is offline Find More Posts by Rsmith
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:30 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
Thanks Randy!

Yes, I have my prop selection based upon all the circumstances (including weather), but presently I fly best with good ole APC 5.0 x 5.0 for anything faster and I'm just not managing the plane well enough around the course to take advantage of the speed increase. It's so early in my practicing regimen I'm taking baby steps just focusing on flying the plane well and bringing it down. When my flying is back to where it was when I was at my best last year (or even better!?), then I'll start selecting props based on launch direction, etc.

I did run one of my fastest props the other day Graupner 5.2 x 5.2 and the plane is definitely faster and seems to hold corner speed well, but I'm just not quite up to handling the speed with that prop. I've got only 11 flights on my first new Avionik and there will be plenty of laps to come as summer rolls on.

Hope to see you at the Nat's this year!

Tim
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
551 Posts
Hi Tim,
Sounds good. Definitely focus on getting the model to come out of the turns at the same elevation it went in at. ie. add lead to the wing tip as necessary. Don't be afraid to do so. Of course the model must still be within the maximum weight limit when you are done.

The key to flying smooth will be trimming the plane laterally so that you are not making corrections at the exit of every turn. Once you do that, you can almost fly the thing hands off (sort of). ie. you won't be managing the ailerons but only the elevator. Your altitude will remain nice and consistent and you can just focus on making tight turns around the pylons. Trim, trim, trim. Practice, practice, practice.

Randy
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:30 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
Hi Randy.

Thanks again for taking the time and your tipsÖ

Should I add lead to the tip to suit my flying style and bank angle as necessary, or go to all extents possible to get the wing vertical, THEN add lead as/if necessary? I assume the first step is to make certain the wing is vertical. Please advise.

I assume itís imperative to get the wing vertical in the turn around No. 1 Ė around 2 & 3 I suppose too. Then, elevator pull to make the corner wonít result in an altitude change (provided the wing is properly balanced laterally), yes?

Yes, I find myself using elevator instead of ailerons to make course adjustments as the plane is on its side most of the way around. For example, if I pull a little too tight around No. 1, itís quite thrilling to push down elevator to push the plane outward to avoid cutting No. 2!

I do find myself in less of a bank around 2 & 3 because the radius is larger. What do you think about that?

I saw a video of Dan Kane flying an F5D demo around the pylons out in San Diego some time ago. I should dig that up and study it more. I remember I was impressed with the consistency of his altitude the entire 10 laps. Iím sure you can do the same.

Now, I can get in two or three of those kinds of laps.

Tim
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:17 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
716 Posts
Yo Tim, glad you are flying

It is pretty important to go into and out of a turn at the same level. Changing altitude during a heat if you are wing to wing with someone will lead to mid airs and that knocks down the fun factor some... A long time ago a guy named Dave Shadel said to always go into a pylon with vertical separation from the other guy and you will control a lot of the mid air chances.

DE
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:03 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
551 Posts
Tim,
You want to setup for pylon #1 with the wings exactly vertical. Pull your #1 turn as you would in a race. If the model climbs coming out of the turn, it needs lead in the left wing tip. If it drops coming out of the turn, it needs lead on the right wing tip.

Use coins at the field to get it just right. A 25 cent quarter is 5 grams, a nickel is 4 grams and a dime is 1.7 grams. If it changes altitude in the corner a lot, put on the quarter and fly it again. If it only changes slightly, use a dime or two dimes. Tape the coins on as necessary until you fly several flights and have the entry and exit altitude at pylon #1 the same.

Take off the coins and weigh them on a gram scale. Cut an appropriate amount of lead tape to make up the weight of the coins and apply to the wing tip. Burnish the lead tape nicely and there will be no drag. Lead tape can be found at golf supply stores. Golfers use this to apply weight to the club head to [supposedly] improve their drive. <ya, right...>

The bank around #2 and #3 may be somewhat off of vertical. Depending on your entry point to pylon #2, it may not be necessary to be exactly vertical. However, if you're not vertical and you pull elevator, you will climb a little bit. Being vertical around pylon 2/3 is desirable and gives you that consistent altitude all the way around the course.

Dave E is right. A lot of mid-airs can be avoided by flying at a consistent altitude and keeping sky between you the next guy going into the turn. I don't know how many times I have been smoked from the sky by some guy that came out of the stratosphere and down on to my plane <BANG!>. This ruins the fun factor for sure.

Note: Some guys do prefer a personal flying style where the model drops a little altitude in the pylon 1 turn. If you have to climb a little going into pylon 1 to avoid traffic, then the model comes back out on the downhill path. Just be careful if you are going into pylon 1 low, then there is little room to go downhill coming back out !!! In this case, then you add a little extra weight on the left tip to give this result.

Hope this helps.

Randy
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:24 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,605 Posts
I wasnít sure if, around No. 1, you wanted the wing perfectly vertical, or if you ballast per your tendencies if not perfectly verticalÖokay, wing vertical around 1. Period. Then, ballast as needed. I can get the wing vertical and I have. And when I do I get a great drive toward No. 2 & 3. But it does take nerve to pull that elevator when you donít have the repetition, experience and confidence to assure yourself that the wing is indeed vertical!

Practice! Practice! Practice!

Before working with any more ballast (Iíve already ballasted the left tip about 10 grams), Iíll continue to focus on getting the wing level consistently as thatís the first step.

The ballast I am using is a 1/16Ē sheet of led. Itís easy to cut into small segments. Iíll find some of that led tape too.

Yes, often I climb a little around 2 & 3. Need to work on getting the wing ďmore verticalĒ around there too.

I absolutely LOVE flying around the pylons. The focus required for F5D is immense and the adjustments required are minute. I feel pretty comfortable doing it, I just need lots of reps to get more consistency.

Was crappy and windy this morning. Hopefully back at it tomorrow.

Thanks again Randy and all!

Tim
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:27 PM
London
Joined Jul 2003
887 Posts
Tim,
These things take time to tune and to get the confidence to just pull hard at #1.
Remember, it's the G- forces working on the tips of the wings that roll the model during the high-G turns. If you don't pull hard then you won't see the problem. i.e if you can't see the avionik wings flex, then you're not pulling hard enough .

If you are climbing around the bases too, then you might want to try and move your cg back a couple of mm.
Darron
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron