HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2014, 06:27 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Discussion
Saito T2 GR

I am new to steam power and have a question about the displacement lubricator that came with the Saito T2 GR engine. I have bench tested it one time and am concerned about the lack of oil being displaced during the test. After running for about 20 minutes and letting it cool down. I was surprised to see that almost none of the oil had been displaced by the steam. I used a syringe to remove the oil and was expecting to pull water from the bottom of the lubricator and to my surprise it was almost non existent. Also when I emptied the oil separator it seemed to be all water with almost no oil residue. I am using the same steam oil that I use in my Monahan Sparrow Twin Cylinder Steam Engine ( Shell Valveta -460). When I run the Sparrow it will displace almost the entire lubricator in a normal 20 minute run. The lubricators seem to be similar devices tube passing through cylinder with a small hole. The only thing I can think of is the oil is to thick for the Saito. The Saito engine seems to run at a lower pressure that the Monahan engine. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Billkorn is offline Find More Posts by Billkorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:30 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Mar 2008
478 Posts
Did you check for anything obstructing the small hole in the lubricator?
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Yes! I even ran a small drill bit through just to make sure.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:41 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,795 Posts
Our resident Saito steam expert, Steve Ciambrone, will have an answer for you when he drops in. But he may be out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean at present.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Thank you Kmot. I am eagerly waiting.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Our resident Saito steam expert, Steve Ciambrone, will have an answer for you when he drops in. But he may be out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean at present.
South America this time, saw the question this morning, but did not have an answer.
I have used the same type steam oil and it has been fine in other saito engines. I will assume the lubricator has a recess in the cap to give it some air space, other Saito's do. Only fill it till the oil is at the weep hole, overfilling it can cause a lack of air space for the steam to enter the lubricator.
I have usually had the Saito's be completely dry after a run because of the super heated steam.
You can prelube an engine and test the lubricator, by over filling the lubricator and with the cap still off and the throttle closed turn the fly wheel in the direction of rotation, the oil will be sucked in.
Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Hi Steve,
Thank you for the quick response. After reading your post last evening I did as you proposed. I filled the lubricator with oil above the tube and hand cranked the motor with the cap off. The engine sucked in some oil. So I lowered the oil
level just below the inlet tube and ran the motor for about ten minutes. When I checked the lubricator it was still at the same level.
The only differance between the lubricator on the T2 GR and other lubricator is this one is shorter and fatter than other Saito Lubricators. It also has a much larger volume; wich I assume is because the engine has a much larger displacement. And yes the cap has a good size recess. I am stumped on this one.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 08:02 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
Bill,
As a test you can bypass the superheater with silicone tubing available in r/c hobby shops..
You will need the larger size they carry. The steam will be wetter and not as hot. This should cause more condensate to form in the oiler.
Give it a try.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 08:08 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
Also turning down the heat will make the steam wetter, the larger boiler has two burners which when the boiler starts producing steam is suppose to be turned off.

But when I have run the boiler very hot, the oil is always gone from the oiler after the run.
The saito boilers can produce much more steam than needed, and need to be turned down after the fuel tank gets hot.
Steve
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Thank you Steve,
I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. I have been turning off one of the burners after the boiler up to working pressure & you are right it does seem to put out a lot of steam.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 03:44 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,377 Posts
Empty the lubricator of oil. Then, with the top off the lubricator, fire up your boiler. Look for steam coming out the little hole in the tube. This will confirm that steam is actually reaching the oil. Since you are not getting any condensed steam in the lubricator, I suspect something is blocking the flow of steam into the unit.

Your cold, overfill-of-oil-spin-the-engine test confirmed that the oil can exit the lubricator. So the downstream side should be ok. But, check the levelness of lines running to/from the lubricator. If the engine is higher than the outlet of the lubricator, then oil will have to travel uphill to reach the motor. Perhaps the oil is pooling at the tiny hole, preventing steam from entering and condensing. When you run the engine by hand, you are making a suction that will draw oil along. But under steam, the motor is not sucking, leaving the oil pool in place.

And, where is the hole in relation to oil level: upper side, lower side? If the hole is on the lower side, rising oil level would block off the steam. Since you could put a drill in the hole, this is probably not the problem, though.

Hold an ice cube against the lubricator during operation. Maybe the lubricator is getting too hot to condense steam. Doesn't seem likely, but something you could try.

Hope this helps
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 06, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2014, 09:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Thanks Brooks
I will run the test of the lubricator with the top off. The lubricator is in line withe engine so the steam from the lubricator is not traveling uphill. The steam line from the boiler to the lubricator goes like this; exits the top of boiler down to a superheater back up above the lubricator then into the lubricator. The lubricator does get very hot. I will run some tests this week and let you guys know how it went. I will also try to post some pictures of the plant. You know what they say! I really appreciate all the feed back.
Old May 06, 2014, 02:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
test

well! I finally got around to testing as Brooks had suggested with the lubricator lid off. plenty of steam is coming through the small hole. The steam did seam to be a bit drier then I though it would be. I will try to bypass he superheater as Steve suggested and let you know how that goes. The photos are after I ran it with lid on.
Old May 06, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Test

I noticed in recent post from Bill Smudge mentioned the oil that came with his Saito T2 was a very thin red colored oil. The oil I am using (and sounds like the surf most people are using) is quite thick. Will be interested to see what results he has when he tries the thicker oil.
Old May 07, 2014, 09:48 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,377 Posts
I think Steve's idea to bypass the superheating (drying of steam, mostly, at our temperatures), is a very good one.

At steam temp's, even wet steam temps, the extra thickness of the oil you are using should not be a problem. I remember the thin red oil with my Saito; I've used thick 460 wt for years with no problems. There is a 600 wt oil that the steam RR guys all used when I ran 3.5" gauge locos, but I stuck with my 460, having bought 5gallons of it :-)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks