HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:30 AM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Discussion
Hyperflow 30mm Dimensions Questions with Pics of My Unique Project

I have some quick questions for the group. I am waiting for parts to come in, but I need to get the design out to the 3D printer as soon as possible. I am designing an "unlimited" class pinewood derby car with the Hyperflow 30mm ducted fan unit. I need three dimensions. If someone can help out it would be great. I have searched for the data, but I could not find it.

I need these three dimensions:
-Outer Diameter of the shroud
-Width of the shroud
-Actual diameter of the fan

If someone can put a set of dial calipers on these, it would be much appreciated. Also, if someone has an actual diameter of the GWS 30 fan, that would also be appreciated. I will return the favor by creating a nice drawing for the forum and upload it, and perhaps an accurate 3D model once I get my parts in.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Last edited by Aeroengineer1; Feb 26, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:16 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
-Outer Diameter of the shroud = 32.04mm
-Width of the shroud = I'm not sure what you are asking with this one but if you are talking of the length maybe? 14.85mm
-Actual diameter of the fan = 29.27mm

Hope this helps
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:17 PM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Primate,

That is perfect! Thanks for the help. I will post a picture of the project I am working on later when I get home.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Anytime. Looking forward to seeing what you're up to.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Here is the project that I am working on. It is like a Global Hawk that has had its wings clipped and squished.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Looks like fun! Take video!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:21 AM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Primate,

I think that it is because I did not communicate properly, but the dimension that you called the length of 14.85, it seems that is from the front of the duct ring to the back of the stators, is that correct? If so, can you get me the measurement from the front of the duct ring to the aft side of that ring? I am guessing that is should be somewhere between 8 or 9mm.

Thanks for your help. Here is the current design status of the car. Hopefully Monday morning before work, I can send these out to the 3D printer.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
That section is 7.94mm

If you already know this then disregard - the fan on this unit doesn't really recess all that much in this shroud. It sticks out a good amount including the hub and blades.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:31 AM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Primate,

Once again, thank you for your help. Here are the latest results. I should have the design finished up by tomorrow and off to the printer.

Adam
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:01 AM
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
266 Posts
Hi

I'm curious with the small holes you have added to the internal inlet and exhaust surfaces.

Has it got something to do with reducing surface friction?

Also, what printer will you be using to print the parts?

Cheer, Steve
meerkat13 is offline Find More Posts by meerkat13
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:22 AM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Steve,

This project grew out of the fact that myself and a bunch of buddies work for GE Aviation, and we kicked around some things that are in full scale jet engines that we might include in this little model not that they would improve efficiency or function the way they do in full scale, but more of a wow, you tried doing "xyz" on something that small.

The holes that you see are used in full scale jet engines for acoustic reduction. It allows small surface fluctuations of pressure to dampen the sound. To function properly, they need to be sealed in the sense that there is no leak path to outside air, only that which is in the duct. I was mostly able to do that here, except where I have the plug going through for the wired for the motor. in the exhaust duct.

As for the printer, I will be using Shapeways. They are cheap and fast. Once this guy has raced, I will most likely pull out the electronics and put them to something more useful. The race is the night of the 7th of March. I have a business trip that week, so I will be assembling these guys in the hotel.

Adam
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
I really need to learn autocad
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
CAD is a fun tool, though at times frustrating. This car would have been difficult to design in some types of cad systems. It is best to do projects like this in programs that are good at surfacing. Even SolidWorks would have struggled (did struggle) with this shape. CATIA or Rhino are good for things like this. Some of the more organic mesh modelers may have worked, though I do not have a lot of experience with those type of modelers.

Here are the final results of the project. These files were sent out to the 3D printer very early this morning. I stayed up way later than I should have once again to get these done. There are not a lot of visual changes here, just small ones for producibility. Things like pads for magnets to hold down the canopy, enlarged bosses at the wheel mounts to take the threads of the machine screw axle. In all there were about 5 changes that were done. The other car is my second backup car. This one should work no matter what.

Adam
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
I messed around with catia for a bit last year but the language and terms they use in that program were difficult to get used to. Maybe I'll give that one another shot.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:20 PM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Yeah CATIA is a strange beast. I have a love hate relationship with it. It is hard going learning it as it has a workflow that is somewhat unique. I have mostly come to terms with it and have been using it now for a few years professionally. It is one of 3 main cad systems that I use, though I am about to pick up another for use at work.