HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:13 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,898 Posts
Question
making a firewall

hi all. i need to make a firewall for a gws spitfire. the motor mount will be either a metal x-mount or a parkzone stock mount. i haven't built one before and i only fly foam planes that have plastic firewalls in them (parkzone). attaching pics of the front of the fuse of the spitfire. any guidance, pointing to links, etc., is appreciated.
thanks.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:06 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,778 Posts
I would just but some 1/8 lite ply and cut it to fit in the space allowed. Use epoxy tor polyurethane glue (Gorilla glue) to glue in place. Two or three 1/8 dowels an inch long inserted through the firewall (on each side) into the foam and glued will give a little extra support to the firewall.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:08 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Carefully trim a piece of paper to fit the spot where the firewall goes so that you have half of a template. Check to make sure both sides are the same, and if not, make another half template. Buy some aircraft ply, or lite ply if thats all you can find, and trace the templates onto the ply. Depending on how big the plane/motor is you would probably want to use something between 1/16" thick and 1/8" thick. Cut out and sand for a nice fit. Then, you can either glue the firewall in the plane giving some down and right thrust, or you can shim the motor. I would go with shimming the motor. Also, if you use lite ply for the firewall, make sure to use washers on all sides of your fasteners as small screw heads will pull into the ply.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:19 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber View Post
Also, if you use lite ply for the firewall, make sure to use washers on all sides of your fasteners as small screw heads will pull into the ply.
Some "T" nuts on the back side would be ideal. that would have to be done before the firewall was glued in place.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:52 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
6,898 Posts
thanks kenh3497 & madbomber - this should make my life much easier. appreciate it.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
No problem. Let us know how it turns out.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:36 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
That looks like a fairly large diameter motor, and it looks like there is limited space in the area where the firewall should be. With the X mount added to the motor, you may need to relieve some of the foam on the inside of the nose, to get the X mount to fit. If that is the case (hope it's not!) then you will have to attach the motor and mount to the firewall before you glue it in, as access to the mounting screws may be an issue. Plan well before you commit.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:45 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
6,898 Posts
yeah i decided not to go with that motor. guys on another thread dedicated to GWS convinced me to look for an alternative. so i'll construct the firewall first and then decide on a smaller motor - likely 400 size. haven't had a chance to even begin construction yet though. was busy with some tinkering on my existing fleet.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:05 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
yeah i decided not to go with that motor. guys on another thread dedicated to GWS convinced me to look for an alternative. so i'll construct the firewall first and then decide on a smaller motor - likely 400 size. haven't had a chance to even begin construction yet though. was busy with some tinkering on my existing fleet.
The old "changes in mid stream" strikes again. Been there and done that to many times to count

Ken
RCG Plus Member