HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:17 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
I have some brass tube kicking about so got the bender out and gave it a shot. Here's my first attempt. I still have to trim them, merge them into one larger output and I'll paint them but I think they turned out good for 5 quid worth of parts(for both) and a bit of time which I enjoy doing.
Outstanding! Just as good (or better) than the store-bought parts. And although heavier, the weight (such as it is) is at the back when you want it. And you don't have the problem of disguising the screws in the plastic ones. I envy you people with two hands. Bang-up job

Beginning to regret having posted pics of my amateurish attempt at dressing up the motor if this is the kind of thing it's spawning.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:59 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
Looks good T!! yup, just need a collector tube, and you're good to go..nice work.
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Anyways, I wanted headers for the boat so went and had a look for the losi ones and forgot how pricey they are! I know it's not really that much but still nearly half the price(once shipping added) of the original boat. So before I bought some I told myself I would try make some.

I have some brass tube kicking about so got the bender out and gave it a shot. Here's my first attempt. I still have to trim them, merge them into one larger output and I'll paint them but I think they turned out good for 5 quid worth of parts(for both) and a bit of time which I enjoy doing.

Those look Great!! The boat won't be self righting anymore but what the hey.

As a retired art teacher, I seem to remember some kind of moldable plastic, almost a like a clay product that came in sheets and rods, maybe even blocks, Friendly Plastic is one of them. I would think it might work for the kind of thing you are trying to do, but perhaps lighter. I will dig deeper into my resources to see if I can find some more info that might be pertinent.

One thing I never tried, but always wanted to was metal plating, Chrome/Copper/Nickel/Gold. It shouldn't be that hard even if it takes some noxious chemicals and electricity in closed spaces.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:56 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Those look Great!! The boat won't be self righting anymore but what the hey.
I calculate the difference between the plastic ones and brass tube ones will not be more than 15g or so. At worst. Not as much as the difference between different servos or different lipos. And they are not self-righting boats at the best of times. I meant if you are going to add weight, the back of the boat is the best place. To keep the drive submerged.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:33 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
582 Posts
Thanks fellas, have the second one made up this morning. Adding the collector tubes on now, than will trim and paint them, not sure on colour? Primer or black?

I'll weigh one once it's done, not sure what the plastic ones weigh though. I'd imagine these will be a bit heavier but as Mad mentioned, the weights at the back so I'm ok with it. And yea, my boat was never self righting from the start, if it's upside down, it's staying that way lol.

Oh and again Mad, your engine already looks better, let alone that you did it with one hand, I tip my hat to you good sir
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:27 AM
Kamikaze pilot
Sweden, Västernorrland County, Sundsvall
Joined Apr 2005
36 Posts
I found a chrome plating kit on ebay a couple of days ago! http://www.ebay.com/itm/261155537106...84.m1436.l2648

and this large jet! 50mm! http://www.ebay.com/itm/271149377447...84.m1436.l2648
Heinrich H is offline Find More Posts by Heinrich H
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:55 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
Good surfin, H...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:03 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
John, in the US, this is a good company, but, plating gives back what the surface prep is..if its rough, nicked, you get shiny, nicked stuff..it doesnt fill imperfections..

http://www.micromark.com/plug-n-plat...-kit,8327.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich H View Post
I found a chrome plating kit on ebay a couple of days ago! http://www.ebay.com/itm/261155537106...84.m1436.l2648

Hi Heinrich and Chi

I haven't had time to look at the Big Jetdrive yet, but the Plating kits have me DROOLING all over my keyboard! Thanks for that link!

John in Merrill
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich H View Post

Hey Lookie here guys!
The person selling the big Jetdrive has a storefront with lots of goodies.
I haven't gotten through all of it yet but the idea of a self-righting NQD may be easier than you think with the sub ballast pump he sells. It could be that just filing a balloon in a low chamber in the NQD with a flip of a servo switch would be enough to get you back to shore without a chase boat!

Sorry I gotta go get back to that site and see what else is there.

John in Merrill
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:23 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
only trouble with that is the 10lbs of in a 5lb bag issue..boats too small for all this..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:21 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
582 Posts
Well let me tell you, I sure could of went for one of those self righting gizmos today..

I was out and about for a spin with the boat today, down at the local harbor I've been to a few times previous. All was great, boats running nicely, got a few packs through it. Started to lightly rain so I hopped in the car and drove the boat from there

Not paying as much attention as I should have, or perhaps just my total lack of boating ability, I ran into a small partially submerged guard rail(underwater due to flooding). This caused the boat to go belly up. I couldn't believe that with all the open water I managed to hit one of the only objects out there. I was kinda trying to slalom around it though. None the less, boat was upside down and I couldn't reach it.

There was a small breeze which was slowly drifting the upturned boat towards the other side of the harbor so I hopped into my car and drove around to the other side. I stood around waiting while the boat slowly made it's way toward me, but with a few boats moored to the dock I wasn't sure if it would make it close enough to me. None the less, I patiently waited and had a chat with a fella fishing off the dock. I figured to myself, if it get's stuck along side a boat, I'll drive back home(about 5 min or less), grab the little dingy and go rescue it.

After a bit, I had a look for the boat but couldn't see it so I figured it must be stuck up against one of the moored boats. I walked up the dock to have a look and wouldn't you know it, there it was, half the body submerged and the nose up in the air!!

I wanted to rush back to the house to get the dingy, but figured by the time I get there and back and blow it up it may very well be too late and I may lose the poor thing. So, not really having any other options, I stripped down to the boxer shorts and t-shirt and jumped in. The fisherman sure seemed to enjoy it as he was busting his gut laughing at me!

me that's cold!! Obviously not so cold that there's hard water but the average temperature here has been about 5 to 8°C. None the less I managed to save my poor boat before she went to the river gods.

So, I've learned a few things.

1. My boat really seems to have it out for me, that or it's making me prove my love for it

2. I'm adding some sort of floatation in the nose so that I know she won't go under if the likes happens again.

3. I need to devise some sort of rescue technique as this is happening to often for me lol.
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:30 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Quote:
Well let me tell you, I sure could of went for one of those self righting gizmos today..
1/ Any kind of flotation like can-foam, buoancy bags, fun noodles etc., in the front will save it from doing a Titanic and going to the bottom.

2/ Whatever you do you'll probably never get it to self-right. There was a way, which Fire turned me on to and geofrancis then found the vid for. It's on the thread somewhere back in the mists of time. (Found it. geofrancis #514 on p35)
Works in lakes but geo and I agreed it was too slow for rock crawlers in fast-moving streams. Would be in the next county before it had returned the boat to an even keel.

3/ What's all this? Devise a better way of rescuing and thereby deprive us all of the enjoyment of reading about your exploits. NO WAY.
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Found self rightind vid
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:41 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
It could be that just filing a balloon in a low chamber in the NQD with a flip of a servo switch would be enough to get you back to shore without a chase boat!
Or you could just start with the inflated balloon (a buoancy bag in other words) dispense with the ballast pump, batteries and servo for it - and have something which would at least float to start with. Air in the balloon weighs (almost ) nothing. With all that additional weight for the sub stuff it would sink like a stone before you started.
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 03, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
195 Posts
whatch the can foam , put too much in and it WILL split the hull / deck seam ! fun noodles from your local pound shop work well , ive seen a few of the big omra ic powerboats with a few down the hull sides , which stop them from sinking . alternativly steer around the obsticles rather than try going over them ?
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon