HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:25 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
blue vs red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjbasdw View Post
There is no reference in the ebay listings.

My versions question was prompted by reading this thread !

Sounds like I should be ok with these helis on ebay if there is no real difference between the "A"/"B" versions I guess.
For some reason, both Marcel [who is selling these AND parts (search thread for his email)] and I have decided that the red ones [5888-R] actually perform better and are faster than the blue [5888-B].

Normally these things are produced in batches, because otherwise they should theoretically be identical. After great effort I was able to get 2 of my blues to outperform my red by basically changing most of the parts ....! But the ones you guys get could easily be from different batches anyway!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
47 Posts
Hi Lee

How about a photo with some arrows of where to lubricate these models or failing that a list of points to lubricate ?? I presume taking the canopy off is just a case of removing the two screws at the top ?

Any suggestions on running these models in from new to extend motor life ?

I understand about blade pitch and tracking ( and also blade balancing which you have never commented on so I assume the blades are so light that it does not matter ) but what is the coning angle ?
gbjbasdw is offline Find More Posts by gbjbasdw
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:46 PM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
For those who already own a 5 triple 8 and a 9808, which is faster while flying forward? I've been looking at the Nine Eagles Solo Pro II single rotor and suspect it'd be a good bit faster and agile than either and better for outdoors in some wind. Any Solo Pro II owners with a 5888 that could offer some comparisions in handling, speed or otherwise?

I'm also a little curious about which would offer the best lifting capacity and suspect that the 5888 would win out. Might be neat one day to add a 2.8g camera+video Tx for some indoor FPV.
Solo Pro single rotor is quite a bit faster than the 5888. I own the Revell Proto Max which I believe is identical (except canopy differences) to the Solo Pro II.

I would consider the 5888 more of a beginner 4 channel heli.

regarding lifting capacity I would think something under 10-15g in weight the 5888 probably could handle. (something like a usb stick size and weight). I haven't tried this however. i dont think the Solo Pro II could handle that much, in my opinion.
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:52 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler View Post
Solo Pro single rotor is quite a bit faster than the 5888. I own the Revell Proto Max which I believe is identical (except canopy differences) to the Solo Pro II.

I would consider the 5888 more of a beginner 4 channel heli.

regarding lifting capacity I would think something under 10-15g in weight the 5888 probably could handle. (something like a usb stick size and weight). I haven't tried this however. i dont think the Solo Pro II could handle that much, in my opinion.
Well I have gone and bought one, a red 5888 is heading my way from the UK of all places and cheaper than the Hong Kong prices as well 30.49 or $48.18

Thanks for all you help and advice with this heli esp your videos
scotsoft is online now Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:59 PM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
It's good they eventually replied to you.

There would be a major outcry here if they did not conform to 4ch standards but dwholler would be able to confirm this for you he has both colours and has posted videos of him flying them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16647184&postcount=112

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16654205&postcount=114

I don't doubt they are genuine 4ch helis and as for spares, you will find loads on this ebay page

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_AvailTo=3&_nkw=5888+rc+helicopter&_dmpt= UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN

Hope this helps you come to a decision
That reminds me, i really need to get a video of the 5888 in a open space and really let the hammer down to show you the speed. The out door video you see, is after we had been flying for quite a while already, thats why we had to land so quickly.

There are other videos of the 5888 and other helis up on my RC Video Blog
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:57 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Well I have gone and bought one, a red 5888 is heading my way from the UK of all places and cheaper than the Hong Kong prices as well 30.49 or $48.18

Thanks for all you help and advice with this heli esp your videos
Wow, that's almost 20 cheaper than screwfix, not that I expected them to be the cheapest mind you.

Where dis you get it from at that price?
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:10 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Wow, that's almost 20 cheaper than screwfix, not that I expected them to be the cheapest mind you.

Where dis you get it from at that price?
Sorry I could not reply last night, it was an early to bed night for me.

It was this member who posted this message who found them
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=131

So I bought it from this seller, the other link was about 3 more
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I sent them a message asking if they had the blue one but they only have the red one. Like you I was astonished at the price and that is what swung it for me
I doubt it will arrive today due to the post the way it is but I will post when it gets here
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:23 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Wow that is a good price, now let's see....

It's amazing how men are expected to be "mind readers" e.g. "that band I like is playing in town at the end of the month"

The mind reading male should translate this as "I want to go, buy me tickets"

This is one area where equality has not made it's self known, if I were to say "remember that helicopter I liked it the scewfix for 50? I've been given an eBay like to it in the uk for only 30"

I'm sure most people here can see how that should be translated, but I think the message will get lost in static, I'll hopefully have some Christmas money and I'll buy one for myself before the new year.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:38 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Wow that is a good price, now let's see....

It's amazing how men are expected to be "mind readers" e.g. "that band I like is playing in town at the end of the month"

The mind reading male should translate this as "I want to go, buy me tickets"

This is one area where equality has not made it's self known, if I were to say "remember that helicopter I liked it the scewfix for 50? I've been given an eBay like to it in the uk for only 30"

I'm sure most people here can see how that should be translated, but I think the message will get lost in static, I'll hopefully have some Christmas money and I'll buy one for myself before the new year.
Have you tried - "We will never get a baby sitter over Christmas and New Year"
Last edited by scotsoft; Dec 09, 2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:52 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Haha I would be tempted to try that but were with family for the holidays, and nan love having baby so that idea is out the window.

I'm sure that witha canopy removed (about a 3.5grams I guess, does anyone here know the weight?) it should easily be able to Carry that 2.8g wireless camera we Have been talking about, would be really cool to fly into the next room and back without getting of the sofa.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:07 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Haha I would be tempted to try that but were with family for the holidays, and nan love having baby so that idea is out the window.

I'm sure that witha canopy removed (about a 3.5grams I guess, does anyone here know the weight?) it should easily be able to Carry that 2.8g wireless camera we Have been talking about, would be really cool to fly into the next room and back without getting of the sofa.
I am still waiting on the cam but I will try it when it comes.
By the way the 4x4 carries the 9V and khz camera no problem
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:12 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Cool, can you get a video or some photos up, pm me or maybe start a thread in the cars forum, "micro FPV" or "budget FPV setups" I'll post my Internet controlled mini in there too.

Did you get the camera from the eBay link I posted?
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:42 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Cool, can you get a video or some photos up, pm me or maybe start a thread in the cars forum, "micro FPV" or "budget FPV setups" I'll post my Internet controlled mini in there too.

Did you get the camera from the eBay link I posted?
I have done as requested
I did get the camera from them, so just the wait now.

I have not connected to the tv yet but I can put some pics up later today
Old Dec 09, 2010, 05:12 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
thanks scotsoft, it's unlikely but its best to have bases covered.

Girlfriend is out on a works do tonight and I have to stay home and mind the baby, hehe in other words put her to bed get my tools out and work on the models and start a few threads, by the way, I just dug my mini out of storage, once I do the port forwarding on my router your free to have a drive with remote desktop.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:02 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjbasdw View Post
Hi Lee

How about a photo with some arrows of where to lubricate these models or failing that a list of points to lubricate ?? I presume taking the canopy off is just a case of removing the two screws at the top ?

Any suggestions on running these models in from new to extend motor life ?

I understand about blade pitch and tracking ( and also blade balancing which you have never commented on so I assume the blades are so light that it does not matter ) but what is the coning angle ?
1. There is nothing moving under the canopy

2. Lube balance bar, ends of ALL links, close to shaft on top of each hub 8lube seeps into hub there), top of alu outer tushaft tube, pinion gears for 2 drive-motors, between upper & lowere main drive gears, and one time the larger lower servo drive gears.

3. To extend motor life, continually check for heating! Once they are body temp warm, STOP til cool!

4. http://www.w3mh.co.uk/articles/html/pic/cm78_10.gif
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CB4Q9QEwAg

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee