HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:38 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Anyone have a good recommendation for a UBEC for this bird? Don has my setup wired UBEC-ready and wanted to know what would be a good choice. Thanks!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Anyone have a good recommendation for a UBEC for this bird? Don has my setup wired UBEC-ready and wanted to know what would be a good choice. Thanks!
Personally, I'm going with the Castle CC BEC Pro... it's overkill for this application, but I've got one in one of my 3D birds, and have been totally happy with it... so I thought it would be a good choice.

My build continues to progress along... my goal is to maiden this weekend if the weather holds out. I need a new set of retracts, but am willing to fly the maiden with the gear down -- then swap out the retracts later if they don't arrive in time.

STACKER -- I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed your paint scheme for the underside of the plane. After watching the video of yours, I thought the contrast was great... and had to copy it. I tried painting the belly pan on my last one bright yellow... it let me know top from bottom, but it was still difficult to sense orientation... hence the build of Habu #3.
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:00 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Thanks I have the CCC BEC Pro but it's sodered on the Castle Ice 100amp ESC I use for my 1700MM P-51...I think I need to find one I can PNP with...

Oh, by the way...LOVE the wall art in the first photo. It's not often that I can find something in a photo of a Habu to peel my attention away.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
Personally, I'm going with the Castle CC BEC Pro... it's overkill for this application, but I've got one in one of my 3D birds, and have been totally happy with it... so I thought it would be a good choice.

My build continues to progress along... my goal is to maiden this weekend if the weather holds out. I need a new set of retracts, but am willing to fly the maiden with the gear down -- then swap out the retracts later if they don't arrive in time.

STACKER -- I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed your paint scheme for the underside of the plane. After watching the video of yours, I thought the contrast was great... and had to copy it. I tried painting the belly pan on my last one bright yellow... it let me know top from bottom, but it was still difficult to sense orientation... hence the build of Habu #3.
Glad to see you added the white ;-) It makes a big difference when you are out pretty far.

Wishing I'd bought a backup before they were out of stock but pushed the buy button on a Dynam 262 in it's place.

Take care--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
Glad to see you added the white ;-) It makes a big difference when you are out pretty far.

Wishing I'd bought a backup before they were out of stock but pushed the buy button on a Dynam 262 in it's place.

Take care--Stacker
Funny that you mention buying a back-up... I didn't share it initially because I didn't want to publicly jinx myself... but when I picked up #3, I also got #4... just in case!

If #3 augers in, at least this time I can blame it on the white paint... and if she flies like the dream that I keep having, I'll be sure to give credit where it's due...

Cheers,
Sully
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,307 Posts
I hope #4 just stays in the box ;-)

I'll prob. get out and do another flight on mine this weekend. So far I've been real happy with the wing mod. as I was able to move the CG back quite a bit. I do wish now I'd picked up a spare. Bet they will show up again.

Take care -- Stacker
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
Funny that you mention buying a back-up... I didn't share it initially because I didn't want to publicly jinx myself... but when I picked up #3, I also got #4... just in case!

If #3 augers in, at least this time I can blame it on the white paint... and if she flies like the dream that I keep having, I'll be sure to give credit where it's due...

Cheers,
Sully

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
I hope #4 just stays in the box ;-)

I'll prob. get out and do another flight on mine this weekend. So far I've been real happy with the wing mod. as I was able to move the CG back quite a bit. I do wish now I'd picked up a spare. Bet they will show up again.

Take care -- Stacker
I too am planning for the "just in case"...... I have a Maxjet and a Lanxaing waiting, along with a Hobbylabs. I hate to jinx it, but my pusher prop version has lasted me for a great number of flights. The only mishap was right after the maiden where I ground up one side of the nose on a landing. I think it's due to how light the whole thing is without the twin edfs and no landing gear. It can literally float at lower throttle levels.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Number Nine and Feelin' Fine!

(Will I still feel that way after a few sorties? Now THAT'S the question)...

Added a Castle UBEC, need to do stacker's wing mod and she's ready for maiden.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
I'm going to alter the wing mod to match closer to the FS version. The first time, I ran the washout all the way through the elevon. This time, I'm going to run it mid wing and cut it out before it hits the elevon...The FS version has it this way (If it's good enough for the FS version it must be good enough for the foam version, lol) and even on my static model (see photo, sorry for all the dust, it's hanging above my computer) you can clearly see it defined.

It's more of a "warping" than anything so I'm wondering how to even pull it off.

If any of you aerodynamic experts have something to say either way about doing this, now is the time!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,307 Posts
Aros,
Originally I looked at trying to do it like the full size buy making three cuts and pushing center down and adding spacer. Gave up as I thought it might look worst in the end.

Take care -- Stacker
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:21 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Yeah it may be more trouble than it's worth. Outside of using a heat gun to warp that section (bad idea obviously), I'm not sure how it could be done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:45 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Yeah it may be more trouble than it's worth. Outside of using a heat gun to warp that section (bad idea obviously), I'm not sure how it could be done.
Did you do the whale tail and rudder mods on #9? Or are you done going down that path???

I should be ready for a maiden this weekend... Just need to put on the canopy and mount the verts/rudders... Balance it up... And charge the batteries...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
No whale tail or rudder mods for me. One, I'm trying to save weight as much as I can and two, I feel while they obviously have their benefits based on the comments from others in the thread, I don't personally find them to be a necessity, nor their absence a reason for all of my crashes. #8 Didn't have the whale tail mod and there was absolutely no issue with pitch control. I feel strongly that #8 would still be going strong if I had understood C rating. In the flights I did have, it flew great.

As for rudders, I've never had them on this airframe so I can't comment directly on their benefits.

Looking forward to your maiden report!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
USA, MO, Salem
Joined Jan 2005
79 Posts
Pinups

Enjoy
max-nix is offline Find More Posts by max-nix
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.