HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:15 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
755 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Futaba throttle ramps for F5B

So a few years back I decided I wanted the motor ramp function to do more than it could and figured out a way of doing it using a mix and AFR.
This gives you full control over the ramp speed, how hard the initial hit of power is and what it does for the rest of the ramp. It also is available in flight modes on the TX's I've tried it on (12FG,12MZ,14MZ&18MZ) so you can have one ramp for launch mode, one for speed and another for duration. At one point I even had one for flying 4's and another for 6's.
On the 18MZ I have a nice function for adjusting the mix values in flight and then saving those values but I don't know if this is available on other TX's.

So the basics of it are very simple and are as follows.

Use the AFR on the motor channel to control the ramp time. This on it's own will give you a linear ramp, not what we need but a start.
Set the ARF to single and you should have a different AFR for each flight mode.
A AFR value of 19 is a good starting point for ramps in speed mode.
I did use a Unilog and measure the time of each AFR value but can't find that data now however I do remember that it's not linear i.e the difference between AFR 1 &3 is almost nothing yet the difference between AFR 22 &25 is huge.

Don't try and used the any of the curve settings in the AFR menu, spent ages trying this to do this before I realised the Futaba logic doesn't work like that. This is for adjusting what the stick does relative to the stick but we're not using a stick we're using a switch and all the TX sees is on or off, not mid position

Next step is to use a mix to control the ramp. Set the mix for motor to motor and the type of mix to line.
As with the AFR set the mix to single rather than group and you should have a mix for each flight mode.

To adjust the ramp profile pick a point and adjust the rate in program mix. There should be some screen grabs around here somewhere showing the sort of thing I use.
On some of the TX's I've used you can adjust the location of the points allowing even more fine tuning of the ramps.

For starters try the following points for a ramp in speed mode....
Point +100 Rate 0
Point +93 Rate -115
Point +83 Rate -119
Point +70 Rate -108
Point +20 Rate -78
Point -100 Rate 0

Once you've got it all programmed up please use a servo to check nothing daft has happened such as reversing the throttle channel or not having a smooth travel. What you should have is a fast servo movement for the first part of travel and then a slow travel to the end.

Hope this is some help and if you need any more screen grabs just ask.
Steve.
steveburns is online now Find More Posts by steveburns
to remove ads between posts