Old Dec 14, 2013, 05:41 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Build Log
Mantis

I think I get bored way to easy!

Mantis started out as a bit of a sketch on a piece of paper, a few weeks drawing at the computer produced a bare framed, simple autogyro, not unlike the type that are flown in the US.
The prototype has been built and Chris is undertaking a build down under. I have found a few design flaws along the way so decided to put these right and attempt model no2.

The models have yet to be flown, but, as the forum has become a bit stagnant of late I thought I would add a few build photos to those who may be interested? If all goes well I will get on my hands and knees to Alan at AJ Blades and Malcolm at Coolwind and ask them to work their wonder and possibly make some blades and parts up.

It is a really simple build, starting off with the main fuselage, made from 6 x 13mm (1/4" x 1/2") Pine or spruce. Consisting of 3 pieces as shown.

Around where the nose wheel is located is 'beefed' up with 0.8mm (1/32") thick Fibre Glass sheet.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Mast is again made from the same material and is butted up and glued to the end of the fuselage like so........
Old Dec 14, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
The rudder servo mount seemed a good idea at the time as I wanted any mass a little higher than normal. Chris changed his rudder mounting position I think I have over engineered things, but, I will stick to this for the moment.
Anyway,
As it stands the rudder servo mount doubles up as the front mast triangular gusset, but, is made from 2 pieces of 3mm thick lite ply sandwiched together. This is put to one side when dry.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
The one and only former doubles up as the under carriage and head servo mount.
This is again laminated together with several 3mm light ply formers, the middle former is where the rear under carriage wire is clamped. The rear most laminates have a 6mm gap down the centre so it locates into the mast.
3mm (1/8") piano wire is bent up to form the rear UC leg.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 01:09 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,175 Posts
sub'd
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
162 Posts
I thought something good was up on your side, another pusher by chance? You've been a bit quiet, You didn't give us much for the imagination with so few photos.

Keep them coming,

Thanks,
Nils
nja is offline Find More Posts by nja
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Sorry Nils,

Here is the prototype and Chris's almost done (I believe he may well be test flying his today). The second version will be lighter (I hope).

Rich
Old Dec 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
162 Posts
Very cool Rich, I really like your creative thinking, I will be watching for more.

Thanks,
Nils
nja is offline Find More Posts by nja
Old Dec 15, 2013, 02:12 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,175 Posts
Considering how little material there is in the Mantis, I don't see how it could be much lighter..

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 03:59 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
385 Posts
I like it Rich, yet again something different. Defiantly got the look of a full size homebuilt about it
Ricardo1500 is online now Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Rich,
I was thinking Hill Billy autogyro!

Steve,
I have over engineered a few parts, like the motor mount. this was originally 70mm in diameter giving enough room to kick the motor over to give the required offset.
It wasn't until Chris suggested building the offset in that I realised that some weight could be lost easily. Then the 3mm thick light ply fuselage base, this has been altered to 6mm light balsa, probably just a strong with the grain direction but lighter. After all it is just a battery mount!
Sometimes we get tunnel visioned and think that our way is the best way of achieving something, hence, why I always try and get other people to build away as a different eye is 9 times out of 10 better than the first solution. There are some clever people out there

A few photos of these parts.

Rich
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:43 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,175 Posts
Hi Rich.....

I hope you didn't take what I said as any way a criticism, the structure just looked very light to start with. That said, I see where you have been able to lighten it a bit....very nice...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Steve,
Not at all mate, I am limited to any weight loss but every little helps, same for the Mantis!

Rich
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:51 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
MANTIS (4 min 21 sec)

And here it is in all it's glory.
Another great design from Rich.
This was the second flight for the day. I had four altogether. The wind was very light and so it was a hand launch....went out of the hand very easy ,only requiring a couple of clicks of down trim. I just did a few slow laps for this video and I think you can see how stable it fly's. With a bit more throttle I was able to fly tight "pylon" turns. This model does not have a steerable nose wheel but you can see that the rudder allows it to have good ground handling.
I am going to build a second one as a spare ....true
This model is a winner....thanks Rich.
Chris....
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Dec 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 01:30 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
385 Posts
Chris
A good demo of how to do it as usual! Seeing you launching it gives us a better idea of its size......bigger than I thought.

Rich
I think you've got another winner there, scale looks, a quick and easy to build with parts available off the shelf . Finding a suitable sized pilot figure would probably be the hardest part! No excuse for all those Panther builders not to try a pusher
Ricardo1500 is online now Find More Posts by Ricardo1500