HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Discussion
Battery selection for DJI F550 hex kit

HI

I am going to be building my first multicopter (settled on DJI F550 ARF with NAZA). Quick question (yes I am total newbie) - I was told to get a 4S 4000-6000ma battery. I can see a few options on the internet but with different C ratings 30C vs 40C vs 50C. Can anyone provide some recommendations here? I don't understand the difference, but want an optimal choice for my set up in terms of flight time and power (I am using the stock DJI motors). Thanks
copters3d is online now Find More Posts by copters3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Anyone?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
OK, let's see if I can help a little.

The 'C' rating tells you how much current you can reasonably expect the pack to deliver but it is a very vague number in most cases as the quoted rating is not usually based on cells assembled into a pack but special testing on a single cell in very favorable circumstances

So for a 5000mAh pack with a 40C rating they are claiming it can support up to 200 amps continuous, which few if any of them actually will, but fortunately you are not likely to be drawing that much either ...

The other consideration is that weight tends to increase along with higher C ratings (and capacity) and you don't want to carry more weight than you need.

In the absence of any specific recommendations from others I'd say don't go beyond a 40C pack and in all probability a 30C pack would still be perfectly adequate.

Now, a brief question in return

Did your F550 ship with both 8" and 10" props?

Just curious as the manual lists both in the box, but mine only had 10" included.

Just wondering if that is 'normal' or if something got left out by accident?
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:05 PM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
368 Posts
30C should be enough, my F550 comes with both 8 x 8" and 8 x 10" prop
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,198 Posts
The higher C rating means the more current output of the battery, which help save the battery and make it last longer meaning more cycles. The lower C rating will work but for more power and longer lasting battery go to the higher C Rate 40 or 50 will be more than enough but you can even go higher it will not hurt angthing you just end up with cooler running battery and can charge it quicker as well.

Michae64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
OK, let's see if I can help a little.

The 'C' rating tells you how much current you can reasonably expect the pack to deliver but it is a very vague number in most cases as the quoted rating is not usually based on cells assembled into a pack but special testing on a single cell in very favorable circumstances

So for a 5000mAh pack with a 40C rating they are claiming it can support up to 200 amps continuous, which few if any of them actually will, but fortunately you are not likely to be drawing that much either ...

The other consideration is that weight tends to increase along with higher C ratings (and capacity) and you don't want to carry more weight than you need.

In the absence of any specific recommendations from others I'd say don't go beyond a 40C pack and in all probability a 30C pack would still be perfectly adequate.

Now, a brief question in return

Did your F550 ship with both 8" and 10" props?

Just curious as the manual lists both in the box, but mine only had 10" included.

Just wondering if that is 'normal' or if something got left out by accident?
Thanks. That certainly clarifies. As for the props - have not received kit yet but it does say a pair of 10" and 8" -which is puzzling. Would one put different size props on a single craft?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:01 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copters3d View Post
Thanks. That certainly clarifies. As for the props - have not received kit yet but it does say a pair of 10" and 8" -which is puzzling. Would one put different size props on a single craft?
No, you will need 6 the same size.

Each 'pair' is one CW and one CCW of the same size, so 3 pairs gets you a set.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:55 PM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
368 Posts
8" prop is for 4S, use 10" if you have 3S lipo, my F550 hover at 22amp using 3S 35C battery.
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:21 PM
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
171 Posts
What kind of flight time can you expect with a 5000mah 3S pack stock with no payload?
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
3s and 10inch props = higher payload
4s and 8inch props = more sport flying

There are so many variables to flight times... it's easy to assume about 10 minutes depending on weight and how you fly. More sport flying = less time, general hover = more time. It's best to just test it then check your battery to see how much you ran it down (I start with 6 mins.... then 8.... then 10mins...
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post

There are so many variables to flight times... it's easy to assume about 10 minutes depending on weight and how you fly. More sport flying = less time, general hover = more time. It's best to just test it then check your battery to see how much you ran it down (I start with 6 mins.... then 8.... then 10mins...
I think hovering consumes more power then flying forward.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:43 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I guess it depends on definition. In general hover I do move around a bit, just easy level flight @ 50% throttle. When I am sport flying I am almost constantly above 50% throttle in climbs and banked turns. More throttle = more RPM = more juice to run the motors
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:09 AM
My cat moderates better
Australia, QLD, Worongary
Joined Apr 2011
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I'm curious about why that is so?
BillzillaAus is offline Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
KittyKatt
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Got two coming

Getting tired/bored of my f450 and 550 so I order two bare kits, BBB, from HobbyCool and some spare parts .. Ordered my fourth NAZA from HeliProz.. After adding it up (motors and esc) I might as well have bought the full kit but was afraid of the OEM NAZA and it's oddities. . Of course we are waiting on the NAZA GPSs this month probably not supported on BBB version I would think.

Thanks for the thread as it made up my mind. I have been waiting on HK to get theirs but free freight (HL) and almost instant gratification makes it better. Even though I had to buy motors this way. Thanks again.
Kattinkc is offline Find More Posts by Kattinkc
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:13 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
I think hovering consumes more power then flying forward.
Yep, I was wrong! Hovering gives me considerable more time on the air than flying around.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73